Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing Your Wii Internal Parts

WARNING: This tutorial is written for a user with average on up mechanical aptitude and an ability to follow directions. If you have no mechanical aptitude, nor can follow amply described and illustrated directions --- then this tutorial is not for you. As parts can bust/die/tear/get lost and no longer work and I don't know where you can get a replacement.

This tutorial tries to cover replacing as much of the internal parts of possible. I took my Wii apart several times in the process of trying to make a repair and was left with several pictures for this guide. Sorry if the pictures aren't perfect. Anyway Let's get started. First, I'd expect you to have already disassembled your Wii to a certain extent already. If you haven't, This Guide (Click Here) is what you'll need to follow before you come back here.

Things Needed
- Common Sense
- A Triwing Screwdriver
- A Philips Screwdriver
- Tweezers
- Electrical Tape (Optional)
- Clean, Dry Hands

Tips
- If a screw isn't coming out, don't spin your screw driver into it until the head strips.
- If you see cables, don't put anything sharp close to it.
- Don't leave your console plugged into a wall outlet.
- Don't leave your console attached to your TV.
- Don't leave the sensor bar attached to the Wii.
- Don't force anything open. Somethings are fragile.
- Be organized with your screws. They're tiny. I have no idea where you can get more if you lose them.
- Don't work on a carpeted surface. Static shock can travel and damage the components.

DVD Drive Replacement
This is probably the easiest one to do. Continuing where you left off from the Disassembly guide. From the picture below you'll notice a ribbon cable connected to the DVD Drive by a clip. Gently lift this clip and remove the ribbon cable. Next, you'll notice a bundle of white wires connected to the DVD Drive wire as well. To remove these, gently unplug them by softly pulling from the head (Do NOT Pull the Plugs themselves!)

CIMG1573.jpg

Next re-insert the new DVD Drive, insert the ribbon cable under the same head as the old one and gently push the clip in (It tends to falloff easily). Then take the head of the white bundle of wires and plug it back in firmly but gently. Again, do not 'jerk' any wires. Put your Wii back together and try out the new DVD Drive.

Front Plate Replacement
You might have released the Front Plate while disassembling your Wii. Replacing it should be pretty obvious but here's how anyway. When its faced down, you'll notice two little wires in the faceplate connected to a head. Gently pull the plug from that head. Again, do not pull by the strings. Gently use your fingers or tweezers to pull out this head. These wires are extremely easy to burst!

CIMG1570.jpg

Once removed, take your new face-plate and plug in the wire head running from it to the same plug where the old one was. Again, being gentle. Once its firm, begin re-assembling the console, later on is where you'll screw the face-plate back on. If you don't know how to re-assemble, do This Guide (Click Here) backwards.

Fan Replacement
On the backside of the console, you'll notice a couple things including the fan. This again, is a fairly easy part to remove. You'll notice the fan is attached by two screws side by side. These are Philip Head Screws. So take your screwdriver and unscrew and keep the screws safe. You'll notice the fan very loose but not out. The fan's pug is still attached.

CIMG1581.jpg

Using the Tweezers or your fingers, gently remove the plug from the slot. Once again, do not pull from the wires but from the head itself. Now you can remove the old fan.

CIMG1583.jpg

Now you can put the new fan, plug in the plug connected to the new fan into the same slot the old one was. Again, careful with the wires! Then place the new fan into its place and beginning screwing it back using the same screwdriver and set of screws as before. Try to make sure its tight.

Bluetooth Module Replacement
This will probably be the hardest part to get to in this tutorial. Bluetooth Module problems are sometimes mistaken for full bricks. The Bluetooth Module may have blown or got loose.

First of all, you'll need to remove the DVD Drive. You'll notice a ribbon cable connected to the DVD Drive by a clip. Gently lift this clip and remove the ribbon cable. Next, you'll notice a bundle of white wires connected to the DVD Drive wire as well. To remove these, gently unplug them by softly pulling from the head (Do NOT Pull the Plugs themselves!). The DVD Drive can now be put aside.

Secondly, You should remove the front-plate to make it easier. You might have released the Front Plate while disassembling your Wii. Replacing it should be pretty obvious but here's how anyway. When its faced down, you'll notice two little wires in the faceplate connected to a head. Gently pull the plug from that head. Again, do not pull by the strings. Gently use your fingers or tweezers to pull out this head. These wires are extremely easy to burst!

Thirdly, On the backside of the console, you'll notice a couple things including the fan. This again, is a fairly easy part to remove. You'll notice the fan is attached by two screws side by side. These are Philip Head Screws. So take your screwdriver and unscrew and keep the screws safe. You'll notice the fan very loose but not out. The fan's pug is still attached. Using the Tweezers or your fingers, gently remove the plug from the slot. Once again, do not pull from the wires but from the head itself. Now you can remove the old fan.

In the Picture below, you'll notice an 'overview' of the 'protecters' or whatever name you want to call them (Your DVD Drive should already be off but I left mine) These are attached by many Philip Head Screws. Take your screwdriver and unscrew ever last one you can find, there are many around the silver plating, five in the depressions or holes of the silver plating and many around the black area so make sure you find them all since they may be hard to see if you don't have a good light source.

CIMG1573.jpg

Once you unscrew everything, you should be able to move the black pieces on the black. Notice, you can't remove these, you have to move them aside as they are connected to the MotherBoard. Then the front black casing can also be removed. Finally, the Silver plating can be rotated and lifted.

On the Motherboard, you'll notice a small green chip on the front-side of the Wii. That is, the Bluetooth Module, it is stuck by a magnet and can easily be removed with your hands.

CIMG1589.jpg

Once removed, you can place your new one in the same area. Make sure it is alligned and the head on the Module 'clicks' onto the Motherboard. You'll know when the BlueTooth is on when you here a click. Also make sure the module is fitted firmly. Your module might have came with a tape blocking the magnetic part. You may need to remove it before replacing the module.

CIMG1591.jpg

Finally, this last picture below is for anyone who would ever want a see a Wii stripped down to the bone:

CIMG1595.jpg

MAY NOT BE 100% PERFECT. SO PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK
tongue.gif

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sweet tutorial. Only issue I have with it at first glance is the picture quality is sort of shitty it makes it hard to see everything clearly. And when somebody is taking apart their baby they wanna know what they are doing precisely.
tongue.gif

ShadowSonic2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadowsonic2.com
XP
Country
Chad
Schlupi said:
Pretty sweet tutorial. Only issue I have with it at first glance is the picture quality is sort of shitty it makes it hard to see everything clearly. And when somebody is taking apart their baby they wanna know what they are doing precisely.
tongue.gif

I think I see what you mean. Especially for the Front plate and the fan, I'm going to try to take some better pictures of the DVD Drive, front-plate and try for the fan today.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent. I needed something just like this for replacing my bluetooth module. If only the darn tri-wing would come already.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
May I also recommend taking pictures in rooms with greater lighting, so you don't need the flash? Is that possible? Because that would allow better focus and clearer shots, without the glare of the flash.

naruses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, please please, add a part in which you show how to replace the sd card reader/slot.

Thanks.

BTW, great tutorial!

ShadowSonic2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadowsonic2.com
XP
Country
Chad
naruses said:
Hey, please please, add a part in which you show how to replace the sd card reader/slot.

Thanks.

BTW, great tutorial!

If I remembered that earlier, I would have done pictures. I already took apart the console to get new pictures today. Trying to improve the quality.

QUOTE(Schlupi @ May 2 2011, 11:55 AM) May I also recommend taking pictures in rooms with greater lighting, so you don't need the flash? Is that possible? Because that would allow better focus and clearer shots, without the glare of the flash.

Took some more pictures today in a room with better lighting. Wouldn't say great lighting though but better.

naruses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSonic2 said:
naruses said:

Thanks.

BTW, great tutorial!

If I remembered that earlier, I would have done pictures. I already took apart the console to get new pictures today. Trying to improve the quality.

Does that mean that you are going to do it??

Are you gonna show us how to replace the sd card slot?

ShadowSonic2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadowsonic2.com
XP
Country
Chad
naruses said:
ShadowSonic2 said:
naruses said:

Thanks.

BTW, great tutorial!

Does that mean that you are going to do it??

Are you gonna show us how to replace the sd card slot?

Sadly, I can't as I'd have to open up my Wii again (sixth time this week). It's a bit late and go into a month of exams starting tomorrow.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This tutorial was posted on another site on June 25th, 2010,
It does not qualify for the GBAtemp tutorial competition.

Costello said:
RULES & RECOMMENDATIONS

[*]Tutorials must be new and original (not previously posted on the Internet) -- tutorials already posted on the 'temp are also not eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran