RetroArch 1.9.6 released, has massive performance increases for Xbox Series X|S with Dolphin, more

asdasdsadasd.png

RetroArch 1.9.6 is out now, and available to download on support platforms. This new update has a lot of new features packed in, such as being able to scan large libraries of games faster, preventing pesky audio-related crashes, and improvements to the Direct3D 11 driver on Windows, courtesy of the DuckStation emulator creator. You can grab the update on the Libretro site.

Version 1.9.6 also adds some major optimizations and performance increases for Xbox Series X|S users, as RetroArch can now make use of more resources on the system. When it comes to Dolphin, Series X|S users can play a wide variety of Nintendo GameCube and Wii titles at full speed, while even rendered at 4K resolution. DuckStation also benefits from the update, with equally good 4K PlayStation 1 game emulation.

Release notes

Windows users (with XAudio2 audio driver): RetroArch would previously hang/lock up if you happened to disconnect your current audio device. For instance, this could happen if you were playing with headphones on and you decided to suddenly disconnect your headphones. This has now been fixed. Instead of it locking up the program, instead the sound is just lost instead.

Security concerns over the AI Service on Windows have been addressed.

Improvements to the Windows installer have been made. This should hopefully prevent potentially disasterous situations from happening again. This could happen for instance when the user pointed the installer to install to a directory he should not be pointing to (like C:\Program Files for instance or the desktop), and did not heed the warning.

Linux users should hopefully no longer experience crashes when toggling between normal and threaded video mode with OpenGL thanks to a patch by grant2258.

The Direct3D 11 driver has been improved for Windows users thanks to Stenzek (DuckStation author). Several fixes: tear control support is queried. If not supported, flip mode presentation will not be used and Direct3D will resort back to the legacy blit model instead (less optimal and worse windowed mode). DXGI Alt+Enter handling has been disabled since it would conflict with RetroArch’s fullscreen mode switch. Non-vsynced output without the flip model should also be properly fixed now, when tear support is enabled and flip model is used, it should be possible to fastforward.

:arrow: Source

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ya, it was in the link I originally posted under
Best Case Display Motion Blur Reduction by BFI. It tells you how much less blur for each of the refresh rates. The github was requested by Blur Busters.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/10754

Showing a frame 1/360 of a second on a 360hz panel gives you about 2.8 ms of motion blur. So it's real close to a crt. CRT's with fast phosphor decay have about 1ms, crt's shows a frame for 1/1000 of a second. LCD's are about 16.7ms showing frames at 1/60 of a second.

180hz and 300hz are probably the best for black frame insertion. Some LCD displays suffer from temporary image retention when enabling bfi, which is the case for my LCD at 120hz. But 180hz and 300hz are odd divisible refresh rates which doesn't interfere with LCD voltage inverse electronics. So those refresh rates are image retention proof. And 300hz you still get about 80% less blur.

Thanks for your answer. Btw I am not sure CRTs were able to handle a refresh rate of 1ms. I remember something like:
  • 800 x 600/155 Hz
  • 1024 x 768/121 Hz
  • 1280 x 1024/91 Hz
  • 1600 x 1200/78 Hz

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Thanks for your answer. Btw I am not sure CRTs were able to handle a refresh rate of 1ms. I remember something like:
  • 800 x 600/155 Hz
  • 1024 x 768/121 Hz
  • 1280 x 1024/91 Hz
  • 1600 x 1200/78 Hz
It was somewhere between 1-2ms. It also dependent on how fast the phosphor decay is. Different models had different decay.

1 ms of image persistence, meaning how long a frame stays lit on the screen. Which has nothing to do with refresh rate. On a CRT it's 1ms @60hz. Higher refresh rates do make motion clearer on a LCD since the higher you go up a frame is shown for shorter periods of time. But you'll need a 1000hz display to reach 1ms on a LCD. 1ms is independent of refresh rate. It depends on how it draws the image and how long that image persists staying lit.

CRT's by nature flicker by displaying an image by rolling scan, drawing the image from top to bottom. As soon as it draws a line it right away starts to fade. The entire screen isn't lit all the time. Thats why they are so much clearer at lower refresh rates. CRT's shows more black space then the scanline being drawn so the image doesn't persist for long. It only persists for about 1-2 ms. Only a line is lit at a time. And around it the previous lines drawn are fading away.

The 1ms is based on 60hz on a CRT. The flicker is also why you see double images on a 60hz CRT when it displays a image at 30 fps.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=177

This link shows how they calculate motion blur.The blur on LCD's are not because of gtg transition.

motion_blur_from_persistence.png

Last edited by SG854,

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder if they will increase performance in October with Retroarch 1.9.7 in Switch OLED. Almost in the biggest retroarch version: 2.0.0!!!

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they will increase performance in October with Retroarch 1.9.7 in Switch OLED. Almost in the biggest retroarch version: 2.0.0!!!

In your dream. Keep in mind that v2 Switch can only be modded with a modchip for now (hardmod) which use SXOS. There likely won't be any, it has the same internals and joycons/rails. There's no way there will be a hardware exploit like the V1s. and with modchip production at a grinding halt, I am not hopeful and I don't care about it. Hello PS5 and XBOX Series X (Not for me.. PC is for me)

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch is really the single killer app that could save the XSX from disappearing into oblivion.

It's by far the only reason I would bother buying one.

Most people don't run homebrew. Despite there being an official way to do it without hacking most people aren't going to bother. You need to remember this is a niche thing we do. Also don't be a dick. I bought my XSS for Gamepass and I like MS's exclusives.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people don't run homebrew. Despite there being an official way to do it without hacking most people aren't going to bother. You need to remember this is a niche thing we do. Also don't be a dick. I bought my XSS for Gamepass and I like MS's exclusives.
People who buy one just for the emulation are definitely in the minority, but then again there are a lot of people who only ever buy new consoles for that reason, with the console originals being secondary. It's been like that for me since at least the original Xbox, and kind of the Dreamcast, too.

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And I also said that we're almost in the biggest retroarch version never made! Impatient to see all the greatest features from version 2.0.0!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +1