Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to create a patched AGB_FIRM that has the feature where you tap the top part of the touch screen and its back-light turns off?
Not sure how workable that would be as that might be adding a whole new function to the AGB firmware. It might be possible to disable the crappy video filters, though. As for having a 3DS application use the hardware similar to how AGB_Firm does, it's not realistically possible.

Nintendo is fairly strict in their design for how the hardware interacts with each other. It might be possible if a whole new firmware is written or some incredible modification. I could be wrong, but from what I understand it's not impossible, just horribly improbable. I can't say it'd be worth the time and effort, if it is possible.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not sure how workable that would be as that might be adding a whole new function to the AGB firmware.
As far as I know it would just be adding a not command to a part of it not dedicated to the GBA game itself.
It might be possible to disable the crappy video filters, though.
That would also be nice.
As for having a 3DS application use the hardware similar to how AGB_Firm does, it's not realistically possible.
I wasn't exactly sure if it was to begin with.
I can't say it'd be worth the time and effort, if it is possible.
You wouldn't have this dark glow box when playing GBA games on the ARM7 part of a 3DS...

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it would just be adding a not command to a part of it not dedicated to the GBA game itself.That would also be nice.I wasn't exactly sure if it was to begin with.You wouldn't have this dark glow box when playing GBA games on the ARM7 part of a 3DS...
It's not worth the effort to recode parts of AGB Firm to add one tiny feature for a small niche community when you can get equally impressive results with a cut piece of cardboard and tape.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it would just be adding a not command to a part of it not dedicated to the GBA game itself. That would also be nice. I wasn't exactly sure if it was to begin with. You wouldn't have this dark glow box when playing GBA games on the ARM7 part of a 3DS...
I really don't know what AGB_FIRM supports. You have to remember, it's a separate firmware from your 3DS's firmware. It might not have the same support, including being able to turn off the screen. Anyway, if you think it's worth the time and effort, then go for it.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately even though I think it's worth both the time and the effort I can't do it, I'm fucking dumb when it comes to any sort of coding.
Then learn. A lot of coders here are self taught, use homebrew the hone their knowledge, and/or do it as a hobby. You probably won't convince anyone who currently can do something like that that it's worth it. Also, chances are the better someone understand what would be required, the less they'll think it's worth it. :grog:

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Then learn. A lot of coders here are self taught, use homebrew the hone their knowledge, and/or do it as a hobby.
I realize this.
You probably won't convince anyone who currently can do something like that that it's worth it.
I can hardly convince myself to be somebody, so you're right with that.
Also, chances are the better someone understand what would be required, the less they'll think it's worth it.
At that point would they even play petty GBA games on a petty 3DS?[/QUOTE]

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

God help you.
I'm a fucking idiot who somehow hasn't killed himself (ether by a mistake made/stupidity or suicide, it doesn't matter), what hope is there?

Last edited by hobbledehoy899,

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FF6 plays fine for a while, I'm at the beggining when you're running from the guards in the caves. When all of a sudden the emulator stutters and just froze. So I turned it back on, loaded up the emu again, and it did it again. I'm using RetroArch GPSP v1.3.4 stable, I wonder if I should revert to an older version.

I've been using 1.3.3 since it came out - no issues there. However, I started just after arriving at Figaro Castle for the first time (continued my save from my cartridge). Maybe get past that bit on PC and continue after?

D

Deleted User

Has anyone ever done a long playthrough of Final Fantasy 6 using GPSP and N3DS? I'm wondering if this is one of those games that randomly crash the emulator for no reason. It's hard to trust the emulator at all and it's a tease with it's fullspeed. mGBA is much slower.

I've been using 1.3.3 since it came out - no issues there. However, I started just after arriving at Figaro Castle for the first time (continued my save from my cartridge). Maybe get past that bit on PC and continue after?

The issue that he's describing is a common issue with gpsp, but only some users seem to have it. The music stutters, it goes to home screen, flashes an error, and then reboots. I honestly don't understand what it is that's causing the issue - I am literally running the exact same setup as you, down to the MH4U LE hardware, but my gpsp is unable to get through a 2 hour session of FE without crashing.

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For me it is happening with Super Mario Advance 4. Sometimes it crashes after 2 minutes, sometimes I can play 30 minutes. But it never lastet longer than that.

I really hope the devs are Aware of the Problem and trying to solve it...

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue that he's describing is a common issue with gpsp, but only some users seem to have it. The music stutters, it goes to home screen, flashes an error, and then reboots. I honestly don't understand what it is that's causing the issue - I am literally running the exact same setup as you, down to the MH4U LE hardware, but my gpsp is unable to get through a 2 hour session of FE without crashing.
In my case, the game stutters and the emulator freezes, without crashing to the home menu. All I can do is hold the power button down for more than usual just to turn it off.
I wonder if I have to enable clock on Luma3DS via the configuration. I'm also about to try 1.3.2 instead of 1.3.4 to see if I get the same results. I doubt it will work, gpsp has always crashed since it first became playable on 3DS.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For me it is happening with Super Mario Advance 4. Sometimes it crashes after 2 minutes, sometimes I can play 30 minutes. But it never lastet longer than that.

I really hope the devs are Aware of the Problem and trying to solve it...
In my case, the game stutters and the emulator freezes, without crashing to the home menu. All I can do is hold the power button down for more than usual just to turn it off.
I wonder if I have to enable clock on Luma3DS via the configuration. I'm also about to try 1.3.2 instead of 1.3.4 to see if I get the same results. I doubt it will work, gpsp has always crashed since it first became playable on 3DS.
Shit like this are just some of the reasons people should work on improving the AGB_FIRM, even if it's just having the bottom screen not being initialized until you press the home-button.

Reactions: SLiV3R

GorrillaRIBS

Gigyas became tame
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am literally running the exact same setup as you, down to the MH4U LE hardware, but my gpsp is unable to get through a 2 hour session of FE without crashing.

Well, the crashes only seem to affect certain games. Fore example, I can get through FFVI, Metroid ZM/F, Mother 3, and all the GBA Castlevania games fine, but SMA4 and Golden Sun crash pretty quickly after booting. On FE though, if it's the first USA FE game, mine also crashes pretty quick, but FE Sealed Sword works okay. I also noticed (don't know if it makes a difference) but all the games that crash for me have a config entry in game_config.txt, while the ones that work don't.

Reactions: Deleted User

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Same behavior for me... No crashing to home menu, but simply freezing at some point. Only possibility is to turn off the 3DS by Holding down the power button (for a very long time).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But still Xbox is doing well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Certainly not dying
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Sure, xbox has sold better in some months. But PS5 has annihilated the Xbox in total sales
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I have both so it doesnt really matter to me who sells more.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I predict with more titles coming to Gamepass people will buy more Xbox consoles if they don't already have one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, if my laptop will be good enough for it, then i might get gamepass to try bo6, not gonna put $70 into it until i know whether or not it's worth
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @SylverReZ 1. lmao 2. meta quests are the renamed oculus quests 3. "I hate Super Monkey Ball"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah just gamestream it if it's that bad
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Make sure you get Gamepass Ultimate version tho, that lets you cloud stream games
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Good morning
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good morning
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One good thing cod got right is transferring profiles through same accounts if coming from other devices
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna be playing jedi survivor
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That does look pretty good. I'm looking forward to Indy and Perfect Dark.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @cearp, Morning
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @SylverReZ - trying to like your greeting but chat is being weird. I give up
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How dare we live without like buttons
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @cearp, Yeah, chat earlier was going crazy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol neighbor tried giving me a antenna only tv from 1996
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken probably 500 dollars on ebay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Weird, it had no rca inputs at all, some tvs had a front cover that opened that had the rca inputs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If it had rca I'd probably take it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If it had rca I'd probably take it