Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Retroarch 1.7.4 installation is somewhat broken. All cia files but retroarch.cia are in the "retroarch/cores" instead of the "cia" directory. The respectively core files for each emulated system are missing in the "retroarch/cores" directory also.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just got a n3dsxl. I was expecting better performance from retroarch. 1.7.3. With Genesis Plus GX, battlemania 2 at like 40fps , streets of rage with frame drops once in a while, and bari-arm chd at ~50fps. With pcsx I got ~35-45fps in megaman x4. ~35fps in valis 4 in mednafen pce. I haven't tried fba/mame. I'm running CIA's from sysnand 11.8.

Overall, I can't believe anyone's recommending retroarch over bubble's ports for n3ds.

Update:
fba-cps1 = crashes
fba-cps2 = sfa ran fullspeed
fba-neogeo = magician lord ran fullspeed but metal slug 5 crashes
fba-standalone= dnd tod cps1 fullspeed. sfa fullspeed, magician lord fullspeed, ms3,ms5 crashes.
wtf 1.3.6:
fba-neogeo= ms5 fullspeed
fba-standalone=ms5 audio problems.

Retroarch has its place, even on O3DS (its the only way to play Game Gear and a bunch of MAME 2000 roms, for example) - but only if you use an old build.

Every core (aside from the GBA ones) runs quite well on 1.3.2 with slight variances depending on game and emulator combo. You wont have as many options to tinker with but performance / compatibility pretty much peaked with 1.3.2/3 from my findings.

And no-one should be recommending Retroarch over Bubble's emulators - they're complementary. Having said that though, Genesis Plus GX will probably always be the definitive way to play Mega Drive / Master System on an N3DS. Picodrive as a base emulator simply isn't anywhere as accurate - but comes into its own as a great Mega-CD player.

Savior-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch has its place, even on O3DS (its the only way to play Game Gear and a bunch of MAME 2000 roms, for example) - but only if you use an old build.

Every core (aside from the GBA ones) runs quite well on 1.3.2 with slight variances depending on game and emulator combo. You wont have as many options to tinker with but performance / compatibility pretty much peaked with 1.3.2/3 from my findings.

And no-one should be recommending Retroarch over Bubble's emulators - they're complementary. Having said that though, Genesis Plus GX will probably always be the definitive way to play Mega Drive / Master System on an N3DS. Picodrive as a base emulator simply isn't anywhere as accurate - but comes into its own as a great Mega-CD player.

It doesn't matter how good and accurate GX is when a n3ds has framedrops every once in a while or big constant drops as I said in battlemania 2. That's why I'll stick to picodrive. It's not a preference, it's my only choice to play games at fullspeed.

Also, even if a game runs fullspeed on retroarch, it's not enjoyable with the crashes. Want to load another game? High odds of a crash. Oh, but what if you exit the core and load another one? High odds of a crash. On mame2000 it won't even let me load another game. Gives me some error message.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't matter how good and accurate GX is when a n3ds has framedrops every once in a while or big constant drops as I said in battlemania 2. That's why I'll stick to picodrive. It's not a preference, it's my only choice to play games at fullspeed.

Also, even if a game runs fullspeed on retroarch, it's not enjoyable with the crashes. Want to load another game? High odds of a crash. Oh, but what if you exit the core and load another one? High odds of a crash. On mame2000 it won't even let me load another game. Gives me some error message.

Have you rolled back to a (much) earlier build?

Battla Mania 2 doesn't run at a solid FPS on Genesis Plus (stage 1 can drop to 57 FPS with screen tearing too), so that's one for Picodrive for sure...but some of these issues don't occur on my units.

Well - specific games that suffer framedrops on real hardware will also do so via emulation but that's just how it is. Plenty of the more taxing games with elaborate graphical effects across the MD library won't run perfectly (such as Dynamite Headdy and Super Fantasy Zone) regardless of which emulator is used. Many will be full speed and without any glaring issues though so I'm certain you need to roll back your builds and see how you get on.

And as you're discovering, certain cores were never fixed for reloading games. MAME 2000 does indeed crash when reloading a game. It's been doing this since 2015. Both Mednafen PCE and Picodrive will also crash when reloading CD titles so you need to use the Close Content option and hope that the save file written upon exiting before relaunching the core. Yes this issue is unfortunate but in lieu of there being an alternative MAME 2000 core implementation it is what it is, sadly.

At least MAME 2003 and the other arcade cores can reload fine and we're not completely dependent on RA for running CD titles thanks to the slick, non-crashing, fully featured and optimised Bubble2K16 emulators.

It might seem like a big ol' mess right now but hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a decent game or two in between testing. There's a buttload that should run excellently on N3DS.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.3.2 Genplus on a N3DS runs the sonic 3 blue sphere as slow as the latest release. Constant visual and audio glitches which are a lot less accurate than picodrive messing up the sphere collect sound a bit. I don't know what kind of genesis emu you are if you can't run Sonic well.

On the plus side gpSP from this version doesn't seem to have the random dynarec crashes that even 1.3.6 has. A bit of visual tearing at the top though, and you probably want to quit the emulator rather than directly switching games.

Reactions: Savior-X

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: The Current Nightly Builds of RetroArch now have a Cheat Search/Creation Function. However, I have tried to create a Cheat for sfa under FBA2012, but it kept saying the Search Start has not been set yet, when I already did.
Current suggestion: Create the Cheat Files on another Device, one where you can actually NAME it correctly, and place in the root of the SD Card. Or use Gateway, NTR Cheats if possible or any other Cheat Creation Tool for the 3DS

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the plus side gpSP from this version doesn't seem to have the random dynarec crashes that even 1.3.6 has. A bit of visual tearing at the top though, and you probably want to quit the emulator rather than directly switching games.

Just want to correct myself. A lot of games still crash in 1.3.2, but some don't? I've gotten a few hours into Metroid Zero Mission without crashing where 1.3.6 would die constantly. However Drill Dozer, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Golden Sun are all crash prone.

Haven't crashed in Fire Emblem, Sonic Advance 2, or Mario Kart yet, but haven't put too much time into them.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Steffenfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get MAME 2003 to work correctly.

I have Aspect Ratio Width and Height set to 1x, Integer Scale On, and Bilinear Filtering set to off.

The screen displays in Portrait rather than the preferred Landscape.

I'm not seeing any options on this and Google has so far left me dry.

Is there a setting to change the screen rotation?

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm trying to get MAME 2003 to work correctly.

I have Aspect Ratio Width and Height set to 1x, Integer Scale On, and Bilinear Filtering set to off.

The screen displays in Portrait rather than the preferred Landscape.

I'm not seeing any options on this and Google has so far left me dry.

Is there a setting to change the screen rotation?
From what I've read you have to use the MAME 2000 core, and also MAME 2003 is much more demanding and some games that lag with it don't lag with MAME 2000

Reactions: Steffenfield

Steffenfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess MAME 2000 isn't really a thing for the 3DS.

I didn't realize even old school Pac-Man had a 224×288 screen resolution that is too much for the handheld to display properly.

Oh well, it was at least a fun waste of time trying this though. :)

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess MAME 2000 isn't really a thing for the 3DS.

I didn't realize even old school Pac-Man had a 224×288 screen resolution that is too much for the handheld to display properly.

Oh well, it was at least a fun waste of time trying this though. :)
Well I can play Arkanoid just fine even though I'm sure that has a similar resolution too, it's not even that blurry

Reactions: Steffenfield

Savior-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a reply from one of the retroarch devs saying the 3ds port "needs developers". Which explains why the 3ds port isn't getting any love.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Damn this emulator is for old games and cant run? strange
Even the simplest of emulators need a lot more computing power than the system they emulate because of the way they work; the O3DS with its slow dual core, 268 MHz CPU simply isn't fast enough. The best thing to do would be getting a New 3DS or, even better, a Switch (or just emulating games on a phone using a Bluetooth controller)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can hardly run genesis/SNES on a o3DS. Only with Bubble2k16's hacky speedups. Highly accurate emulators tend to take more cpu, especially Retroarch cores since they typically have next to zero optimization done for 3DS.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know but Wonderswan not a powerfull system to emulate. if you say psx Its imposible but this system is 16 bits very low system.
Last time I checked Nestopia UE doesn't run full speed and that's an even weaker system. On top of that the Mednafen emulators are typically more resource intensive due to their focus on accuracy over performance, most notable on Beetle Saturn.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....