Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They work here. 1.7.9 nightly. I tried them on fb-neo (~30fps), fba2012(mid 30s), and mame2003plus (50fps). They run too slow so I don't play them. Mame2000 might be playable but I won't resort to using such outdated emulation.
Did you do anything different to get mame2003plus to work, i.e. just another folder, load content? Or do you have to scan first?

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I'm aware of that.
The version I had before now just plain didn't run a rom (1.7.5 stable).
I've since tried the latest nightly and it's mysteriously fixed (ie. Runs ROMs that previously did not.)
As it turns out, a complete waste of time, because tate rotate option is broken anyway.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I thought I should post two things I found that might interest others in regards to Genesis GX Plus.
First thing I found is that you can make the Sega CD games run faster by converting the tracks to .ogg by using isobuster to extract them to wav and then lamexp to convert them to .ogg. This basically makes Genesis Plus GX possible to use for Sega CD games on a New 3DS. I do not know if it helps for Old 3DS. Shining Force CD that ran at 50 fps now runs at around 70-80 fps.

Second thing I found is how to play Mode 1 CD Audio enabled games, so basically Pier Solar with CD audio and some hacks of other games, basically Sonic the Hedgehog 1 with CD audio, Rock N' Roll Racing. I had a hard time finding the documentation for doing this but eventually I found out that for it to work you need to have a cue sheet with reference to the audio tracks, which can be .wav or .ogg. I recommend .ogg for the same reasons as stated before. Track 1 will be the first audio track, not the .bin binary file. Next you need to make sure the .bin executable and the .cue file have the exact same name. To boot the game you need to run the .bin file.

I made a really nice selection of tracks for the Mode 1 Sonic the Hedgehog hack and it works pretty damn good. I can post the .cue file and a list of what tracks I used if anyone is interested, though, I can't share them for obvious reasons. The mode 1 hack I used is called "Sonic1Mode1.zip" and is from 2011 or something. Sadly I don't think MD+ games that work on the MegaSD work. It would be nice to get those CD audio hacks like Streets of Rage 2 or Outrun to work too.
The results are similar to this video, even if it is using a fanmade Sega CD version of Sonic the Hedgehog with features like saving. Plus, I didn't use any Tee Lopes music in my track list since I found some other sweet remakes on SoundCloud and Youtube.

If there's enough interest for this I could make more in depth tutorials on these things.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: cvskid and Rahkeesh

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any update in v1.8.1 released?

It depends what you care about.

Arcade? Forget it. Somehow further broken; the use of the word "stable" is hilariously misguided. Almost everything throws an error dump. The only cores I have any remote confidence in are mame2000 and fba2012 neogeo. Which, you know, have been working for how long already?

16 bit console? For these, I'm not sure why you'd bother with anything other than bubbles emus at this point; Retroarch is a massive piss about, and whatever gains you make from any minor improvements in the emulation simply aren't worth that.

For playstation, there's nothing here over the nightly which already give us full speed.

Actually, you know what, it doesn't matter what you're interested in: if you already have the psx speed up working, just leave it.

Reactions: hutzero

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There must be a reason why Retroarch still lives... is it working well on other platforms? I know it is, or was popular to emulate vintage systems on Raspberry Pie or regular PC, using Retropie. Is that still a thing? On 3DS we can only hope for dedicated developers forking out of this mess, like Badda's Vice3DS. PCSX ReARMed for 3DS should officially declare "independence" as well.

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone actually bothered, what appears to be going on in FBA/mame cores is some of this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-fba-neo-geo-only-works-in-one-of-2-3ds.521755/
Combined with the fact that, once you get one game working, they all will. It seems to be some sort of config issue, as opposed to the 3ds shitting itself.
I mean, you get an error dump on exit every time still, but whatever.
And yeah, I'd love it if we could just have an optimised pFBA targeting an early FBA (NOT the latest one).

Last edited by NotReallySteve,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There must be a reason why Retroarch still lives... is it working well on other platforms? I know it is, or was popular to emulate vintage systems on Raspberry Pie or regular PC, using Retropie. Is that still a thing?

That's exactly the problem actually. Retroarch is constantly being developed for many platforms but barely tested on others like 3DS, and the updates break stuff here.

NotReallySteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, I don't even think it's as complicated as I made out earlier: looks like it crashes on first attempting a game (forcing a reboot), but then it's fine running it the second time (as if certain files need to be present, but initially aren't).

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Retroarch is tested on 3ds too, but there are updates everyday, and sometimes something breaks for every platform including pc, thats why there are nightly builds, to test latest builds, and stable builds.

Retroarch for 3ds is having updates still

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd bring this thread back to report that the latest nightlies now include the performance-focused Neo Geo Pocket emulator RACE, which should theoretically run better than the existing Mednafen-NGP core. I've done a little testing on a regular 2DS and the New 3DS; performance is generally going to be better on the New 3DS/New 2DS compared to the Old 3DS/2DS. A majority of the games will run close to if not full speed on the New 3DS, while simpler games such as Pac-Man, Puyo Puyo, and Puzzle Bobble will run just about full speed on the Old 3DS/2DS. Basically, don't expect full speed on the Old 3DS/2DS for a lot of the games. Card Fighters Clash seems to run fine enough on the Old 3DS/2DS, though, so there's that.

Reactions: MrHuu and Zense

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The upcoming nightly build adds assets and a unique id for the .cia build.

If you're using the .cia build, make sure to update it when it's available.

Reactions: kenseiden

30yoDoomer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this has been asked (search isn't working for me) - Is there a fix for screen rotation using FBA 2012? I'd like to play some vertical shooters.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any hope for a fix for gpsp dynarec?

Don't wait for it, i'd say. I don't think anyone is looking into this.
With gbarunner2 as an excellent alternative or mgba, i can't imagine anyone would be interested enough to fix it.

Re-adding mgba as a core would probably be more likely, which was mentioned in an issue on the libretro github page.
If this will happen anytime soon, or ever.. idk.

Apologies if this has been asked (search isn't working for me) - Is there a fix for screen rotation using FBA 2012? I'd like to play some vertical shooters.

As far as i know, this currently isn't possible. There should be an issue about this on github, but i haven't followed progress.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update: SMS Plus GX seems to have been recently added into the nightly builds. It's a standalone Sega Master System/Game Gear emulator. No banner added to it yet, so it just displays the generic Libretro banner. It has the FM Sound Unit on by default with no way of toggling it, so that's going to be a huge performance hit on the O2DS; testing the SMS game Kenseiden, it's running about 30-40 fps because of it. It also crashes the 3DS upon loading a second game/ROM. At this point, you're better off sticking with Genesis Plus GX, Picodrive, or even the S8DS emulator through Twilight Menu for your Master System/Game Gear needs on the 3DS.

zarkon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi!
I have a n3ds xl, with every core when i load a save state it crash, in particular with snes (all variants), anyone has this problem too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: