Homebrew RetroArch Switch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
No. I'm refering to these twitter comments:

This is RetroArch running on the Switch through Linux, right? The native port done with libtransistor still only has RGUI support.

Cool to see. Does Spyro actually run at fullspeed? I believe the PCSX ReARMed core doesn't have an AArch64 dynarec, and I'm kinda skeptical the interpreter core could run at fullspeed on a downclocked X1.

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/989830541963874304

Which made it seem, that they had seen the spyro video running on pcsx in fullspeed, and were informed that Linux on Switch got OpenGL working, but that they still were deliberating if they should move away from libtransistor -

but worry not -

a little later the following official statement was launched:

People have gotten RetroArch to run on Linux for Nintendo Switch! Currently is a lot more full-featured than the native Switch port of course, although we hope to still get it on par eventually!

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/989834045335982080

So everything is just splendid. *snark* *snark*

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: lordelan and Rune

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice. I'm glad they're working on it. I hadn't followed them on Twitter so thought they had completely ignored the Switch build.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow development and this thread are very "sleepy" these days huh?
But there's three things to brighten up our retro hearts:
  1. The fact that all firmwares will be able to access homebrew soon will attract many more devs (only few people had a 3.0.0 Switch)
  2. The fact that we all (no matter which firmware we're on) can now boot Linux on our beloved Switch consoles, that it's getting better, more stable and more user friendly each day and that we can use RetroArch for Linux there, even with XMB (but still no sound or JoyCon support yet unfortunately)
  3. The fact that we can take advantage of those two developments (RetroArch as a Switch homebrew and RetroArch for Linux) by using both RetroArch setups with the same roms and savegames as I wrote here because we can use one (big) mSD card for Horizon OS and Linux as @Baoulettes said here.

It will take some time until everything works (directory settings in Switch's RetroArch, sound+JoyCons in Linux's RetroArch) but then that's some epic setup.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow development and this thread are very "sleepy" these days huh?
But there's three things to brighten up our retro hearts:
  1. The fact that all firmwares will be able to access homebrew soon will attract many more devs (only few people had a 3.0.0 Switch)
  2. The fact that we all (no matter which firmware we're on) can now boot Linux on our beloved Switch consoles, that it's getting better, more stable and more user friendly each day and that we can use RetroArch for Linux there, even with XMB (but still no sound or JoyCon support yet unfortunately)
  3. The fact that we can take advantage of those two developments (RetroArch as a Switch homebrew and RetroArch for Linux) by using both RetroArch setups with the same roms and savegames as I wrote here because we can use one (big) mSD card for Horizon OS and Linux as @Baoulettes said here.

It will take some time until everything works (directory settings in Switch's RetroArch, sound+JoyCons in Linux's RetroArch) but then that's some epic setup.
I just hope people don't focus TOO much on Switch Linux.
There's been a lot of ports and tutos on how to make certain things working on Linux for it, but those are not really homebrew-related, but more on the side of Linux rather than the Switch.

Perhaps Switch Linux could help develop certain drivers for it, but I just hope people don't focus on it that much.
That could affect potential propers ports of RetroArch and/or other emus and apps to the Switch.
Something like a native homebrew streamer app for the Switch could also be affected if they focus on just Linux too.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just hope people don't focus TOO much on Switch Linux.
There's been a lot of ports and tutos on how to make certain things working on Linux for it, but those are not really homebrew-related, but more on the side of Linux rather than the Switch.

Perhaps Switch Linux could help develop certain drivers for it, but I just hope people don't focus on it that much.
That could affect potential propers ports of RetroArch and/or other emus and apps to the Switch.
Something like a native homebrew streamer app for the Switch could also be affected if they focus on just Linux too.
I'm fearing that as well. But I'm pretty certain RetroArch on the Switch will be at least as good as the Wii U port. :)
Gladly not everyone's interested in Linux. Plus there's many people that are even afraid to use it at all on their Switch. :D

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm fearing that as well. But I'm pretty certain RetroArch on the Switch will be at least as good as the Wii U port. :)
Gladly not everyone's interested in Linux. Plus there's many people that are even afraid to use it at all on their Switch. :D
I really hope so. The Switch has the potential to become the ultimate gaming-portable machine if it can get GC/Wii running in it.
Let's hope it all goes well down the road for this :P

DogParty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope so. The Switch has the potential to become the ultimate gaming-portable machine if it can get GC/Wii running in it.

Don't worry, Linux is interesting right now because Atmosphere isn't done. People won't want to dualboot into a desktop interface once everyone is able to natively run homebrew from Horizon.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really? :D
There's already enough homebrew cores to play more games than you have days left to live. :P
I'd really like to play PSX games but I guess I'll have to wait for GPU drivers for that. Also, I'd like to be able to save my Retroarch settings and maybe use overlays.
Ah well. I guess I'll go back to my PS Vita for the time being.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Don't worry, Linux is interesting right now because Atmosphere isn't done. People won't want to dualboot into a desktop interface once everyone is able to natively run homebrew from Horizon.
Yeah I do get it's the hot-shit right now due to the recent "flow" (pun intended) of releases lately.
Perhaps once Atmosphere and other stuff comes around, people move on from Linux into developing homebrew for the Switch again, now with no restrictions when it comes to services thanks to Fussy Jelly.

Reactions: lordelan

DogParty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I do get it's the hot-shit right now due to the recent "flow" (pun intended) of releases lately.
Perhaps once Atmosphere and other stuff comes around, people move on from Linux into developing homebrew for the Switch again, now with no restrictions when it comes to services thanks to Fussy Jelly.

Absolutely. IMO there's no way Switch Linux will eclipse native homebrew. This is all happening so fast and the Horizon-related tools are in the process of being built out. libnx just needs to improve and we'll see way more homebrew over time. SDL2 is a huge start but once we get some OpenGL bindings going then that's where the fun begins.

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If we just can port that official GC/wii emulator from Chinese nvidia shield tv to switch it'll be amazing.
Or getting dolphin emulator as a core on retroarch. Or getting a standard dolphin emu port to switch.
Hopefully we can get vulkan api in order to enhancing the speed.

D

Deleted User

The Major problem with RetroArch is not Libtransistor not been able to do Dynamic Ports but its that there is no GPU Drivers.

- Linux Lacks on Joycon Drivers they dont work right
- Linux is Heavy not ready for any kind of Enduser its way to Buggy

- Atmosphere will come soon and i really hope with the Custom CFW we will be able to bypass the Requierements of GPU but i think we will still need it anyway

Reactions: Fadi5555

untok

Trophies
Website
romumaailma.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Finland
The Major problem with RetroArch is not Libtransistor not been able to do Dynamic Ports but its that there is no GPU Drivers.

- Atmosphere will come soon and i really hope with the Custom CFW we will be able to bypass the Requierements of GPU but i think we will still need it anyway

Hope so my switch is still 3.0. linux is nice but cfw with retroarch is something i wait.

Reactions: Fadi5555

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're absolutely right about gpu drivers.
And do you think vulkan rendering is important too?
Because I see on the YouTube how different between OpenGL and vulkan in the performance.
Vulkan gives a big boost in the speed. Specially on dolphin emulator.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If we just can port that official GC/wii emulator from Chinese nvidia shield tv to switch it'll be amazing.
Or getting dolphin emulator as a core on retroarch. Or getting a standard dolphin emu port to switch.
Hopefully we can get vulkan api in order to enhancing the speed.
you cant port an emulator or well anything without a source code wich i highly doubt they will ever give it to you...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ