RodrigoDavy's Retro Impressions: Super Mario Kart

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I always wanted to do a game review and Super Mario Kart is my favorite game of all time so I chose it to be my first one but I'll try to keep it as neutral as I can.

Just for one introduction, Super Mario Kart is a Super NES game release in 1992 by Nintendo an was the first entry in the succesful Mario Kart franchise. It was the third best-selling video game for the snes behind Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. (Information obtained from random pages from Wikipédia :P ) Now let's dig into this game:

I'll assume every member must know how a basic Mario Kart game works,it's a race there are items, etc... One of the things that I found about Super Mario Kart is that it's very balanced: it's difficult, items are scarce, some items require ability to be used. I explain which one of these points.

Super Mario Kart is very difficult because hitting a wall, falling in the water, falling off the track can really make you lose position. And in this game these things WILL happen a lot, you often have to memorize the tracks to know where the traps are, as you'll find many of these traps are found in one of the many closed curves. This game has kind of a funny pinball mechanics where if you hit a wall in a certain angle you'll bounce just like a ball in a pinball machine, which will often make you lose position but can sometimes make you pass your oponents if you're lucky.

Although items are a trademark of the Mario Kart franchise, you only get them once or twice in each lap of the game. Depending on the track, items like the star and the mushroom can actually be of no help if not properly used because it makes it more difficult for the player to control their kart causing them to hit something or fall. The other items are generally not as powerful as in other Mario Karts, but one underrated item is the feather which is apparently useless but let you make some really nice shortcuts in some tracks.

The game is forced two split-screen, in one player mode with the game in the top screen and a map in the bottom screen and with two-player modes I'll just let you guess. There is also a Time Trial mode with ghost support and the really fun Battle mode which I happened to like a lot as a kid.
Graphically, the game is very nice! Not the best that the snes could offer, but a nice show-off of the Super NES Mode 7 combined with a really fun gameplay.

To cite one bad point, the tracks were really short, there were five laps and each race lasted like 1 and half minutes and, this is not really a bad point, but the game is way easier in two-player mode and if you're a forever alone you're gonna have a bad time.

That's about it, I made these impression with all my heart. I know it must be not that good must I hope you enjoyed and that I conviced some of you to revive this classic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1