Hacking rrod on my new board

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used just a small amount, maybe the size of piece of rice, but i spread it out myself, do you think i should clean it off and just put a dab on again and just sit the heatsink on it and do like you said and let the heatsink spread it?

Some people say one way, some people say the other.

Grain of rice... I use one the size of a small pea, but in the end it's all the same shit.

I let the heatsink spread it out. Some people spread it out with a credit card (or something of the like). As long as you're not slathering it on it's fine; it's basically supposed to be a thin film; no matter how you do it (drop it on like me, spread it like you) the heatsink is STILL going to spread it out when it's clamped down anyway. You probably get a little more of an even spread your way. If I were to take mine off right now there would probably be spots under it where it's dry.

I had some Zalman shit that came with a little brush applicator (like nail polish), used it on my brother's 360, spread it nice and even, and he hasn't had a single problem.

I'd cut out the mesh in the back for starters, though that likely won't make a huge difference. Make sure your heatsinks are clamped down properly (all 4 posts have the xclamp attached to them)

Past that... I don't think you can oil the fans on the 360, iirc they're close ended, not covered with a label (which sucks). If I am wrong; you can check by peeling back the sticker on the center of each fan and seeing if there's a little spindle with a c-clip at the end - lube it up a little bit. I used a drop of motor oil on a fan I had for a different application and that made a world of difference.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd cut out the mesh in the back for starters, though that likely won't make a huge difference. Make sure your heatsinks are clamped down properly (all 4 posts have the xclamp attached to them)

The back mesh actually impairs airflow.

Also, I'd suggest you tape a piece of cardboard right in the center of the fanduct (so the CPU and GPU fan have their own heatsink to pull hot air from)

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so let me get this right, 1. cut the mesh, 2. tape some cardboard in the centre of the white duct, 3. maybe just clean off the paste and re-apply some more, this time a little larger than what i used before?
i am using the xclamp way at the moment, but i do have the screws and washer's to do the other way without having those clamps, what do you think?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xclamps are the best ;]
Screws and washers are just going to put more strain on it, which is something you'll want to avoid.

You could tap into a 12 or 7v line on your Motherboard for your back fans to make them spin faster so they suck out more air.
Also cutting a hole in the side of your 360 like I did will help to pull in cold air.
Especially when you install a 40mm fan on the 2nd heatsink of the GPU heatsink. ;]

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok this is what i will do, i have seen one of those heatsinks on ebay $5.00 buy it now, so i will buy it now, then when i get it i will get back in touch with you and we will go over step by step on what to do next.
does that sound like a plan? oh and where would be the best place to get the 40mm fan and the grill for the side of the xbox?

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what would make it start doing this in the first place? everything was fine then it seems all of a sudden the fan started spinning faster and getting hot at the back, i just don't know what could be going on for it to do this, and why is there not a very simple solution to fix it without everything to do to the system? makes me wonder what kind of problems this xbox one is going to have? and have you seen the price's for those things!!!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GPU heating up to 90c iirc.
Then the fans will kick in try to lower the temperatures.

Simplest solution is to 12v fan mod it basically ;p
It'll sound like a fighterjet but it works...
That or liquid cooling ;]

XBone is also reported with heat issues yes.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worth a shot, and then if it don't work out then i can move on to the next step, and still have a new 12v fan, so i have nothing to lose :)

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok this is what i'm going to do at the weekend, i am buying the 12v fan i am also buying new heatsinks for both gpu and cpu, i am also going to buy some new xclamps to replace the one's i have with new screws to go with it. the new heatsinks are the one over the gpu with the copper piece on it and a different looking one for the cpu i think it is the newer version than the origional, i have also seen some cool looking case mods from hong kong, full cases but sweet colors, might invest in one of those soon as well.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm thinking of getting hold of a slim xbox 360, is there a way of flashing the dvd drive like i did with this one? using the sata to the pc and using the xbox power? and which model should i look for?
i have had another go at trying to get rid of the overheating again today, re applied the thermal paste and blew any dust out that might have been there, but still no good, after a couple of mins the fan starts going faster and then the lights, i am starting to think this boards had it? another 50 bucks down the drain, that makes 3 xbox 360's with the red lights.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i have this one on right now, got my injustice backup running, just letting it run without playing it, demo playing only. it's been on for an hour now no red lights, might leave it on for a another 30 mins, see if it gives the thermal paste time to spread and even itself out on the chips. then shut off for about an hour and restart it and try playing for a short while.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well LOL it just went red light, man what a bummer. ok i think i got the code right, 0013
just looked it up and it say's the ram blocks left of the gpu? anything that i can do to fix that? heatgun? rubber pieces on them ? anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to