OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
[*]Never update the firmware/software/system from an official source.
  • Why: Updates often seek out and remove hacks, as well as close security holes that could be used to hack the system.
  • Example: If your firmware/software is version 1.0 and you update it to 1.5, you could find that not only will it remove the hacks, but the 1.0 security hole was fixed in 1.5 so you can't re-hack it the same way, you'll need to find a different method (if one even exists for that firmware version). If you have a system that you may want to hack later, keep it on a low firmware/software/system version.
-
[*]Don't buy your memory/storage from ebay or some other reseller.
  • Why: Fakes and bad-performing storage are everywhere.
  • Example: You could buy an SD card with a 16GB label, only to find it actually only stores 2GB. Cheap storage tends to be slow as well, which can cause terrible loading times or crashes when you try to run something, if it even works at all.
-
[*]If you don't know what it is, don't touch/delete it.
  • Why: When hacking you have access to the internals of a system (way more than you do normally). Unlike your save data or downloaded games, a lot of the files you may come across in a hacked system are crucial to the system's operation. If you delete or modify it, your system could stop working at all.
  • Example: All the people in the Wii hacking section who go and delete system IOS files without checking, only to find their Wii will no longer work...
-
[*]Don't try something brand-new the moment it comes out.
  • Why: There's often a lack of testing in the hacking/homebrew scene compared to retail. In addition (though very rare) people have been known to release bad programs intended to harm your system under the disguise of a good program.
  • Example: If there's something in the tool/hack that could break a system (accidentally or intentionally), you might be the unfortunate first person to find it if nobody else has tried it. Wait for people to confirm if it's real or not before you try it, if it's something that just came out.
-
[*]Understand that you may be banned from online services.
  • Why: The major companies do not want you modding/hacking their systems, so they will try to ban you from the online services even if you're not cheating online, they have various ways to detect it.
  • Example: Many people who played their hacked XBOX 360s online found their consoles blacklisted from playing online, so you can find banned consoles for sale on ebay and such.
-Okay so this is an idea I had in my head, and I want to see what you all think of it (and what you all can add).
Since it applies to hacking almost all modern systems I put it here, not sure if there's a better place.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There should be some rule of understanding the risks of modding....(bricking, being banned, etc....)
Perhaps you might list some reliable places to get memory rather then amazon?

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
perhaps another rule should be to disable wifi so that your little brother doesn't accidently update the system!!
angry.gif

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
perhaps another rule should be to disable wifi so that your little brother doesn't accidently update the system!!
angry.gif

You do not know how much this has happened to me.

I remember when I was at version 4.1 on my Wii and he updated to 4.2

Luckily I was able to re-mod my Wii but God was I scared.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Never Update, As That Will Remove The Hack"

My sister broke that rule when I hacked her ipod. That's my golden rule with modding. NEVER UPDATE

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For a minet there I thought this was going to be about rules the "hack creators" should follow.

Lots of good info for noobs in here.

Might want to add if it's a new CFW like with wanin's recent PS3 release. Waiting to see what happens to others is almost always a good idea.

I see its already in there so I'll rephrase it as wanin's recent PS3 release is a good example of the rule.

rook2King

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
unsure.gif
I think i broke the most important rule on this guide though [even if it's not mentioned]
I actually unhacked my cfw psp 1000 and updated it to 6.35 MYSELF!!! Don't ask me why i did that i was not right in the head, but i didn't even play it much anyways; just sits there collecting dust. Just a little stupidity story.
yaypsp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...