[RUMOR] SciresM speculates on Switch Pro details through datamine information

social-share.jpg

Resident Switch hacking scene member SciresM, known for his work on Atmosphere CFW, has made a curious discovery via datamining. A Nintendo Switch Pro model might actually be on the way, if you believe what he's uncovered from an update on the Switch. It should be noted that while interesting, this information does not confirm anything, and much is speculation on SciresM's part after having dug around some firmware files.

Existing under the codename of Aula, this hardware uses a Mariko SoC. It also would support both handheld and docked mode, and features "substantially" better cooling and battery life. While there's nothing concrete to fully determine, SciresM thinks that the revision would support 4K when docked, with an OLED tablet screen, as it features a Realtek chip branded as having "4K UHD multimedia SoC". If it's to be believed, then Nintendo has been working on a "Switch Pro" for over a year, which would line up with many reputable outlets repeatedly claiming that Nintendo is indeed working on a more powerful Nintendo Switch system.

Nintendo actually is working on a new model with upgraded display stuff and has been for ~1.5-2 years. I personally believe it's 4K given the signs I'm seeing in the firmware, but that's not confirmed yet and could be wrong.

Aula has firmware support some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a "4K UHD multimedia SoC", too, hence my belief it's 4K. That chip might be inside a new dock and not inside the tablet, though, there's no way to tell from the firmware code yet.

Aula explicitly supports handheld mode. It is not docked only; that's calcio, which seems like it's for internal only/never releasing since Calcio has no gamecard slot and no battery.

Checked my previous discussions with hexkyz, the upgraded tablet display is an OLED screen. Probably not higher resolution on tablet itself, so I guess the 4k realtek chip is more likely to be new dock than I thought it was.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

heaven forbid developers improve a games performance on newer hardware with a free patch
You obviously missed my point or did it on purpose. It's good that they fix their shit, but when these games are no longer supported, those patches or DLC can't be downloaded.

I hated DOOM on the Switch due to having to download extra content when I only wanted to play it. Great game, though.

OctuplePrecision

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A more powerful dock is an interesting idea. I wonder if they would make the docking system backwards compatible. USB-C on the switch does offer the ability for a lot of bandwidth, I do wonder if they are going to fit a gen 3.2 port to it, and that might lock out the older switches. Perhaps the bandwidth increase of 3.2 is necessary, also I just wonder to as well about the protocols, as far as I know all external GPU's utilize thunderbolt which is now an open standard but I think limited to USB 4?

I'm probably talking nonsense tbh, but there are ways to possibly have it talk to the new GPU in the dock without changing the hardware up too much. Maybe the hardware in the dock is just doing a form of upscaling? It reminded me a bit of the voodoo 3D graphics cards where you'd plug your 2D card's output into the Voodoo's VGA input, and then the Voodoo would have another VGA out for your monitor.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Ottoclav

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first version of most nintendo consoles are always the least desirable ones to have as time goes on.

The original gamecube with the digital output is quite desirable (if you can get hold of a cable).
The original wii with bootmii as boot2 is quite desirable.
The original switch has fusee gelee

ds/ds lite & 3ds/new 3ds is probably where I would agree with you.

Reactions: Ottoclav

grey72

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
there are ways to possibly have it talk to the new GPU in the dock without changing the hardware up too much.
IMO slim chance of it being anything other than simple 4k upscaling. There's no straightforward way for the mariko chip to interface with a discrete GPU (thunderbolt/USB4). Maybe a second, propriety connection with the dock carrying PCIe or some off-the-wall custom solution would do it, but I doubt ninty will try something like that.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to guess that this is referencing RTD1395 (since those words are exactly the subtitle on the product page). Interestingly, this is somewhat similar to the Tegra X1 SOC (T210/T214) used in the Switch today. The Tegra X1 has a quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 at 1.9 GHz (and 4 unused Cortex-A53 that we can just ignore), and a 1000 MHz / 1267 MHz (for T210 and T214 respectively) Maxwell GPU. The RTD1395 has a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 at 1.6 GHz and an ARM Mali-470 MP4 GPU which should clock in at around 2600 MHz (650 MHz per fragment processor). It's worth pointing out that this clearly isn't a replacement for Tegra X1 as the GPUs are different architectures, and the CPUs are slightly different (though both ARMv8.0).

It seems like this will either be a co-processor in the main unit, or a co-processor in the dock. Either way, I doubt games not designed to take advantage of this extension would be able to get significant benefits from it; potentially NVN could be reworked to take advantage of the extra graphics hardware, but this would be tricky. Much like the situation on 3DS / New3DS, I'm guessing only games specifically built for this architecture could take advantage of the extra CPU cores as they would have to know that they can utilize additional concurrent threads, and something would need to decide which threads to run where. My guess is the plan is to have certain higher end games that will be playable natively with the co-processor, and via the cloud without it (e.g. Control or Hitman 3). Could also be used by future games with optional "Switch Pro" enhancements.

Edit: Also, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that this likely means absolutely nothing for 4K. The reason the chip is marketed as 4K multimedia is because it supports hardware accelerated 4K video decoding (H.265 and VP9 at 60 fps), and one of the target uses is things like Android TV. Rendering a game in 4K is a VERY different beast from decoding 4K video; considering this chipset can't even decode 4K H.264 at 60 fps, there's no way it can render 4K graphics.
`RTD2172N`, it's just a DisplayPort to HDMI converter, nothing more, nothing less.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
`RTD2172N`, it's just a DisplayPort to HDMI converter, nothing more, nothing less.
Source on it being an RTD2172N? I can't find any spec sheets on that chip. There is an RTD2173 which is a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1. That would still be interesting as it may actually support things like HDR10.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source on it being an RTD2172N? I can't find any spec sheets on that chip. There is an RTD2173 which is a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1. That would still be interesting as it may actually support things like HDR10.
No comment.

yeah idk, I couldn’t find much on it either, just a big list of random parts with no descriptions.
I’d guess it’s the same/very similar to RTD2173 though.

ucupetuks

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Fair, but if 4k is a thing that will happen, the switch (in docked) will have 16GB’s of RAM
no capable mobile soc rendering game at 4k, and it wont happen nintendo put 16gb vram, 8gb already overkill, so i think 6-8gb at the best, and no feasible for docked hardware accelerated like, because the price will be crazy, ppl will buy pc/ps5/xsx instead

Last edited by ucupetuks,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hello, my friend.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I'm sorry to hear that.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, He said that my actitude was "cutty" and that our friendship wasnt going anywhere
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, You're not like that. I see you as a really kind individual.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds like you are better off than having a petty friend like that anyways. You win today.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, but both of us were fine yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah well, at least you got us (sorry if this sounds like some cornball ass "power of friendship" stuff)
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of hyped about the new ally finally a portable with full m.2 support
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda reminds me of a life lesson in the movie "Bronx Tale". Guy1 owes another, guy2 $10 and the guy2 keeps chasing guy1 around the city trying to get his money back, till someone tells him, "stop, you got off easy, its only $10. That guy will never bother you again or ask you for money again, so take it as a win."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guy1 will continue to talk shit about you constantly as well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because he knows what he did
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Speaking of which, where is my $10 Ken? And I heard you been talking crap bout me to my wife. Punk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You were standing right there when we were talking should've said something then
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking insurance gave me a migraine told me my dentist was in network now they're rejecting claims saying they aren't
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's what they do the best, pass the buck.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Insurance is a thing adults have to blow off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Insurance is one those things you pay all your life for, no questions asked, all is fine, they take your money. And as soon as you make a claim or something happens, they never want to payout or help, just fight you on everything if it cost them any of your money.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Insurance is one those things you pay all your life for, no questions asked, all is fine, they...