Hacking Safe to Update Games? (Not System)

FateWolf2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for this noobish question. I haven’t been in the scene for years and recently want to go back and play some of he games on my Wii U I didn’t back in 2017 when I modded it.

Some games I’ve tried just open right away but others are trying to update (so far Smash and BotW). I’m just wanted to check if it’s safe to let the individual games update upon trying to open them.

Some background: First off I did see a similar question in thread from last year so again I apologize but I really don’t want to screw things up on it. I think I have system updates blocked and used the haxchi method as I remember playing online. Right now my firmware shows 99.99.99 U under the settings. I still see the do not touch button from whatever ds VC app I used when I set this up years ago.

Please forgive me if this gets asked a bunch. I just couldn’t find anything recent relating to this and am worried things could have changed over the years.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sorry for this noobish question. I haven’t been in the scene for years and recently want to go back and play some of he games on my Wii U I didn’t back in 2017 when I modded it.

Some games I’ve tried just open right away but others are trying to update (so far Smash and BotW). I’m just wanted to check if it’s safe to let the individual games update upon trying to open them.

Some background: First off I did see a similar question in thread from last year so again I apologize but I really don’t want to screw things up on it. I think I have system updates blocked and used the haxchi method as I remember playing online. Right now my firmware shows 99.99.99 U under the settings. I still see the do not touch button from whatever ds VC app I used when I set this up years ago.

Please forgive me if this gets asked a bunch. I just couldn’t find anything recent relating to this and am worried things could have changed over the years.

Hello.:)

Do you mean original Games on physical Media or your eShop Downloads ?

Or "other" Games ? :D

If you really used the Haxchi Method then you surely have read this:

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher-(channel)

Note that, unless you block updates with this method on all current and future connections, updates on the Wii U are performed automatically and cannot be disabled.

1. Go to the “System Settings”, then “Internet”, then “Connect to the Internet” then press (X) to display your current network connections
  2. For each of your connections (and all future connections), do the following
    • Select the connection
    • Select “Change Settings”
    • Move to the second list and choose “DNS”
    • Set the DNS to “Don’t Auto-Obtain”
    • Set the DNS server IPs to the following servers
    • Select “Confirm”, then press (B) to save
    • These servers will block your device from being updated

You can now launch the Homebrew Launcher on custom firmware just by launching the Homebrew Channel.

Note that to access the eShop with the update blocking DNS addresses set, you must first run NNU-Patcher through the Homebrew Launcher (NNU-Patcher is a temporary patch and will need to be ran again if you need to access the eShop after a reboot).

So the Answer is NO,it is not safe,if you accidentally update your System (and that happens very often today...) then you maybe have a new Challenge.:)

But if you be careful and read all the Instructions you have got from the Guide,then you will be safe for the Games.:D

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

FateWolf2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I do mean”other games” lol. Sorry for the confusion. I know not to update the system and my Wii U never tries to when booting.

what I’m wondering is it is safe to update the “other games”? As when I click on a few of them the game (not the system) tries to update. I’m wondering if letting just the games update will revert the CFW like it would if I did a system update.

Sorry for the confusion, my apologies.

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U is not like the switch, if you update your system nothing will happen. Well if you have CBHC you have to reinstall it (takes 2 seconds) but you don't get banned or anything like that. But if you're not playing online and all the games you have work I guess no reason to update either.

Last edited by JayMathis,

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
Letting the games perform updates is perfectly fine and "safe" as long as there are no new system updates available, check here for NTSC consoles: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1436/kw/Update history wii u
Even if there was a system update available, their track record has proven that they don't plan on doing much about the vulnerabilities that are used by the exploits that are publicly available. The most they've ever done that I can remember is patch a browser vulnerability. They're generally even too lazy to patch several browser vulnerabilities at once and focus only on the ones currently being exploited. It doesn't mean they never will but the Wii U doesn't seem to be worth the effort for them. "The juice isn't worth the squeeze" as they say. Plus since the Wii U has reached EOL and there are no more profits in terms of console sales, they're probably riding it out with all the profit from everybody that's buying a DS VC game from eshop to install Haxchi. Maybe they will release a final update once people stop buying DS VC games from the eshop. Like a giant "F**k You" in the end, haha probably not though!

FateWolf2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh okay thanks for the replies everyone. I found out I don’t even need to update to play them unless I’m going online but updated them anyway. I’m sure you see this type of post all the time so thanks for not getting upset. Stay safe with all the chaos going on out there.

FateWolf2020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you mean original Games on physical Media or your eShop Downloads ?

Or "other" Games ? :D

If you really used the Haxchi Method then you surely have read this:

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher-(channel)

Note that, unless you block updates with this method on all current and future connections, updates on the Wii U are performed automatically and cannot be disabled.

1. Go to the “System Settings”, then “Internet”, then “Connect to the Internet” then press (X) to display your current network connections
  2. For each of your connections (and all future connections), do the following
    • Select the connection
    • Select “Change Settings”
    • Move to the second list and choose “DNS”
    • Set the DNS to “Don’t Auto-Obtain”
    • Set the DNS server IPs to the following servers
    • Select “Confirm”, then press (B) to save
    • These servers will block your device from being updated

You can now launch the Homebrew Launcher on custom firmware just by launching the Homebrew Channel.

Note that to access the eShop with the update blocking DNS addresses set, you must first run NNU-Patcher through the Homebrew Launcher (NNU-Patcher is a temporary patch and will need to be ran again if you need to access the eShop after a reboot).

So the Answer is NO,it is not safe,if you accidentally update your System (and that happens very often today...) then you maybe have a new Challenge.:)

But if you be careful and read all the Instructions you have got from the Guide,then you will be safe for the Games.:D

Hey Alexander! Sorry to bother you but I have one more question. I went to check on the DNS and yes I already had it setup to disable auto updates but things are slightly different. Looks like this:

Primary DNS: 035.164.240.189
Secondary DNS: 168.235.092.108
(Photo attached)

This exactly how I was shown to do it in the guide I followed years ago. I noticed what I have set up for secondary is what is listed as the primary one in the guide you linked. Is my primary one outdated or something and not secure anymore? And does the order really matter or is it just like a second layer of security?

Thanks again and to everyone else who chimes in. You’ve all been a great help.

Attachments

• AFADED05-E79F-4205-AF28-F287F01B4CBE.jpeg
    AFADED05-E79F-4205-AF28-F287F01B4CBE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 267

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey Alexander! Sorry to bother you but I have one more question. I went to check on the DNS and yes I already had it setup to disable auto updates but things are slightly different. Looks like this:

Primary DNS: 035.164.240.189
Secondary DNS: 168.235.092.108
(Photo attached)

This exactly how I was shown to do it in the guide I followed years ago. I noticed what I have set up for secondary is what is listed as the primary one in the guide you linked. Is my primary one outdated or something and not secure anymore? And does the order really matter or is it just like a second layer of security?

Thanks again and to everyone else who chimes in. You’ve all been a great help.

Please use that Settings from my Post.These Settings are from the "official" and actual Wii U Hacking Guide.:)

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

This works as it should.:)
Everytime you want to Access the eShop please launch the NNU Patcher Application from the Homebrew Channel and it should be fine.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3