Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Sighax and ARM9LoaderHax are two different exploits with similar ends.

ARM9LoaderHax uses a secret processor password called the OTP to gain code execution extremely early in the boot process.

Sighax on the other hand, uses cryptography exploits to set up a scenario where it views code we want to execute as properly signed, simply booting it instead of a normal firmware. So we'd gain execution where we'd normally get a firmware, and then boot into the normal firmware.

This is why a Bootmii like solution is fairly likely.

Uhhm...no. OTP is used only once to allow altering the secret sector on NAND that stores the n3DS keys for the arm9 encryption of NATIVE_FIRM. (for o3DS it installs the secret sector since it doesn't exist on o3DS). This allows altering a key in the secret sector keystore to intentionally corrupt decryption of arm9 of NATIVE_FIRM. This results in a controlled jump to a payload elsewhere on NAND because Kernel9Loader (the section of NATIVE_FIRM that handles the decryption process among other things) has a flaw where it doesn't check that the key slot in question is valid. (hence why I among others like to call it Kernel9LoaderHax instead of Arm9Loaderhax since the exploit involves a flaw in Kernel9Loader) OTP is not used after the key is installed. I could go into detail on how the payload in question is created and where it's placed, but that is not necessary in this instance :P

So long story short....OTP isn't directly used as an exploit. It's used only once to gain access to something. After that it serves no further use.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

TheOverseer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please only test with hardmods or arm9loaderhax for now

...How exactly would one test with ARM9LoaderHax? lol

Like...doesn't it already grant ARM 9 Access? So how would I know if I get ARM 9 Access or not?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Uhhm...no. OTP is used only once to allow altering the secret sector on NAND that stores the n3DS keys for the arm9 encryption of NATIVE_FIRM. (for o3DS it installs the secret sector since it doesn't exist on o3DS). This allows altering a key in the secret sector keystore to intentionally corrupt decryption of arm9 of NATIVE_FIRM. This results in a controlled jump to a payload elsewhere on NAND. OTP is not used after the key is installed.

So long story short....OTP isn't directly used as an exploit. It's used only once to gain access to something. After that it serves no further use.

I am corrected by someone who knows much more than I do. That being said, the rest of my post has validity. lol. Thank you for the lesson though, I'll describe it more accurately next time.

Last edited by TheOverseer,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I checked out commit one from HEAD.
Here's the result: https://u.nya.is/tsqfxn.zip
I had to run 3dsxtool in lldb for the 3dsx to build e_e

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked out commit one from HEAD.
Here's the result: https://u.nya.is/tsqfxn.zip
I had to run 3dsxtool in lldb for the 3dsx to build e_e
Since it looks like this includes waithax, I'll throw an arm9 payload on my card and try it.
I have A9LH, but if I turn off the SVC check patches I should be able to run it, theoretically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1