Hacking SAMD Fusee Payload Launcher V2

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No totally understand, No offense at all. I have double pressed still only the blinking blue light and not seen as connected in any way to the computer. It is not being seen in the IDE either doesn't show in the ports.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thank you for the help found the problem. Should have try'd before asking i was using a usb cable that i guess wasn't good it connect and expressed power but i guess couldn't transfer data. Thank you

Hey, I'm glad a new cable fixed your issue! I have been offline almost all day here due to the hurricane, so my apologies for not checking in earlier.

I test all the boards at several points during the build, and do one final check of the rcm jig and loader on my own switch before packing it up. When I read your post, I was pretty confident we'd be able to get it working but I'm pleased it worked itself out.

Thanks for your order, and happy launching!

I hope you are not offended when I say this. I`m not insulting your intelligence, really I am not!

But... You are double-pressing reset while it is plugged in to PC right?

Sorry if its bloody obvious! Just covering all bases.

@electronrancher

Try this...

I`m assuming your device is compatible with Trinket UF2`s
Go to my Github https://github.com/mattytrog/SAMD-ShaXLauncher/tree/master/UF2 Files
and put your chosen UF2 on there...

I`ve attached a zip called datsandpayloads. In there are some files. Extract to root of SD, drag UF2 over

You can run any payload without converting it.

First one is called payload.bin
2 - payloa2.bin
3 - payloa3.bin
4 - payloa4.bin

etc

up to 8 payloads.

No conversion necessary, just drag and drop. Rename too as above or it won`t work.
Any good?

OK, grabbing the files and trying it now! Thanks for fielding questions while I was out, you're a hell of a citizen!

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you are not offended when I say this. I`m not insulting your intelligence, really I am not!

But... You are double-pressing reset while it is plugged in to PC right?

Sorry if its bloody obvious! Just covering all bases.

@electronrancher

Try this...

I`m assuming your device is compatible with Trinket UF2`s
Go to my Github https://github.com/mattytrog/SAMD-ShaXLauncher/tree/master/UF2 Files
and put your chosen UF2 on there...

I`ve attached a zip called datsandpayloads. In there are some files. Extract to root of SD, drag UF2 over

You can run any payload without converting it.

First one is called payload.bin
2 - payloa2.bin
3 - payloa3.bin
4 - payloa4.bin

etc

up to 8 payloads.

No conversion necessary, just drag and drop. Rename too as above or it won`t work.
Any good?

Got it, and I love it! Took me a minute to understand the behavior, but let me write down how I see it and you can tell me if I'm right.
A) Start up and blink x times to indicate active payload
B) Search for switch and launch this payload if RCM found
C) If no switch, update active payload to x+1 and blink this many times

It's pretty bad ass, and launches well. So it seems like you're a switch coder as well as an ARM coder now? Put that on your resume!

I did not get success with all payloads, but I'm guessing I have a version mismatch for ReiNX and am completely missing support files for other ones. Here's what I got:
1- hekate 3v2
2 - heakte 4
3 - sxos
4-8 - ?

PS - I get the BOOT.DAT? PNG if the files are not found I might suggest you change it to KJ Un flipping the bird. :)

Last edited by electronrancher,
Reactions: mattytrog

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have one of these yet... I DO want to buy one, but I'm holding out for this:

View attachment 143257
I just want them in red-and-blue to match my joycons. :P

But I misunderstood how switching payloads initially worked... I thought it showed up as a USB flash drive and you can just drop in the payload file (like what you guys are trying to achieve right now). I DO hope you eventually pull it off, but in the meantime... I was kinda thrown off by the need to recompile a new UF2 with the Arduino dev tools just to replace the payload... didn't want to have to download, setup, and learn a new dev environment just to switch payloads.

So I threw together this tool, that can patch a payload into any valid CURRENT.UF2, just drag the payload file onto the script (I was planning to use this if/when a red/blue case dongle becomes available). And hopefully this is of some use until you guys achieve the "drag-and-drop the payload into the mass storage device" functionality.

Also attached is a few UNTESTED generated UF2s (with biskeydumpv6 and JigTester payloads). Untested because I haven't bought this dongle yet, so I am not responsible if these break your Switch. :P

Hey brother thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry I missed you it's been a hectic couple of days. Your tool sounds incredible, I have downloaded it but I was unsuccessful in splicing a payload. I tried to splice in hekate4 in but it just gave a black screen. My guess is that it's something minor like offset or something - how about tomorrow, I do a binary compare of a standard hekate4 uf2 versus a spliced and maybe you can help me interpret the difference? I'd do it now but it's late and once I start digging into a fun technical hole it's often 2AM before I know it. :)

The red/blue case was printed by Hatch, the designer of that case. He's out of town for a few days IIRC but let me talk to him and see if he can cook you up one of those joycon colored cases. Once I hear back, I'll PM you for a mailing address if he's willing to go for it

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey brother thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry I missed you it's been a hectic couple of days. Your tool sounds incredible, I have downloaded it but I was unsuccessful in splicing a payload. I tried to splice in hekate4 in but it just gave a black screen. My guess is that it's something minor like offset or something - how about tomorrow, I do a binary compare of a standard hekate4 uf2 versus a spliced and maybe you can help me interpret the difference? I'd do it now but it's late and once I start digging into a fun technical hole it's often 2AM before I know it. :)

The red/blue case was printed by Hatch, the designer of that case. He's out of town for a few days IIRC but let me talk to him and see if he can cook you up one of those joycon colored cases. Once I hear back, I'll PM you for a mailing address if he's willing to go for it

Hmm, that's weird, I tried splicing in Hekate 3.2, Hekate 4, and SX OS, and the resulting files were identical in a binary compare to the UF2s attached in your first thread. Can you attach your final generated UF2 file?

Anyway, that sounds great! The joycon colored case is really the only thing I'm waiting for right now before jumping in, thanks for taking the trouble of asking him. :)

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got it, and I love it! Took me a minute to understand the behavior, but let me write down how I see it and you can tell me if I'm right.
A) Start up and blink x times to indicate active payload
B) Search for switch and launch this payload if RCM found
C) If no switch, update active payload to x+1 and blink this many times

It's pretty bad ass, and launches well. So it seems like you're a switch coder as well as an ARM coder now? Put that on your resume!

I did not get success with all payloads, but I'm guessing I have a version mismatch for ReiNX and am completely missing support files for other ones. Here's what I got:
1- hekate 3v2
2 - heakte 4
3 - sxos
4-8 - ?

PS - I get the BOOT.DAT? PNG if the files are not found I might suggest you change it to KJ Un flipping the bird. :)

If you need more info on the actual Ardudildo sketch that I use, go to my thread

https://gbatemp.net/threads/interna...ybitsy-m0-express-guide-files-support.508068/

It is under the ShaXLauncher section. There are various switches in the code that can be enabled / disabled. Take a look.

Will look into changing the graphic.

It seems a hacky way of doing things, but it is just faster than writing my own from scratch. No need to reinvent the wheel is there?

Yes it will be because of a version mismatch. I only put 3 on there just to show you the idea behind it. You can of course drop your own payloads on there.

Reactions: electronrancher

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@electronrancher
Try the following attached files.

The only changes are:

- included UF2 file was renamed from current.uf2 to CURRENT.UF2
(I noticed all the UF2 files you had attached in the first thread had all caps filenames. I've encountered some embedded systems before where I also encountered problems with firmware files when they weren't all caps... I can't really test if that's the issue though since I haven't bought your dongle yet).

- renamed from patchFW.exe to generateFW.exe
(I was wondering why I was getting a UAC prompt when all I was using was basic fopen, fwrite calls. I learned that any executable with update, setup, install, patch etc. in its filename gets flagged as requiring admin access. Microsoft smh)

Attachments

• generate_UF2.zip
    45.6 KB · Views: 103

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that's weird, I tried splicing in Hekate 3.2, Hekate 4, and SX OS, and the resulting files were identical in a binary compare to the UF2s attached in your first thread. Can you attach your final generated UF2 file?

Anyway, that sounds great! The joycon colored case is really the only thing I'm waiting for right now before jumping in, thanks for taking the trouble of asking him. :)

Let's take it up tomorrow.
@electronrancher

The only changes are:

(I noticed all the UF2 files you had attached in the first thread had all caps filenames. I've encountered some embedded systems before where I also encountered problems with firmware files when they weren't all caps... I can't really test if that's the issue though since I haven't bought your dongle yet).

(I was wondering why I was getting a UAC prompt when all I was using was basic fopen, fwrite calls. I learned that any executable with update, setup, install, patch etc. in its filename gets flagged as requiring admin access. Microsoft smh)

Yep, it works perfectly - nice work! I realize what happened before, I accidentally grabbed the bin file that contains both bootloader and the fusee launcher code. Even with that one, it was correctly spliced - just didn't run as it sent an ARM bootloader plus the whole fusee launcher as the payload, lol!

And nice work on the UAC avoidance - that's really weird that windows doesn't actually base it on calls that require admin access but :rolleyes:

Did you start a thread for this tool? I'd say you should, it's going to be way easier for users who don't want to mess with recompiling. I have gotten quite a few requests from people to make them custom builds just because they didn't know how to set up the Arduino environment and translate the bin file into header. Thanks, man - great tool!

Reactions: bundat

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@electronrancher

The only changes are:

This tool is very good. I wrote something similar, but this is miles better than my attempt. Do you mind if I put it in my thread with maybe a couple of alterations? I`ll credit you.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Did you start a thread for this tool? I'd say you should, it's going to be way easier for users who don't want to mess with recompiling. I have gotten quite a few requests from people to make them custom builds just because they didn't know how to set up the Arduino environment and translate the bin file into header. Thanks, man - great tool!
Oh, I didn't realize the tool was relevant for anything else other than this dongle, so I thought linking it in here was enough. :P

This tool is very good. I wrote something similar, but this is miles better than my attempt. Do you mind if I put it in my thread with maybe a couple of alterations? I`ll credit you.
Sure go right ahead. :)

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I didn't realize the tool was relevant for anything else other than this dongle, so I thought linking it in here was enough. :P

Sure go right ahead. :)

Well I have found there is a pretty large population that are interested in my loader because it's pre-built and works right out of the box with no soldering or coding either.

Any tool that makes life more convenient for the casual user is a good tool in my opinion, and this one allows all sorts of software hacking without having to get too deep in the weeds. Thumbs up, and yep - I'd say it deserves a thread for sure.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well I have found there is a pretty large population that are interested in my loader because it's pre-built and works right out of the box with no soldering or coding either.

Any tool that makes life more convenient for the casual user is a good tool in my opinion, and this one allows all sorts of software hacking without having to get too deep in the weeds. Thumbs up, and yep - I'd say it deserves a thread for sure.
I love to tinker, but sometimes. I just want stuff to work right out of the box. And since your dongle isn't exclusive to one payload. It makes it more attractive.

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it, put a battery in it. Plugged it in, black screen. :v What do?

I get the PC to read it, but it always hangs so I can't actually read/write from it.

Black screen is usually when an incompatible payload is sent. Was yours reinx? You'll need to put the rest of the reinx files on SD.

Let me PM you and we'll get it up and running for you

I love to tinker, but sometimes. I just want stuff to work right out of the box. And since your dongle isn't exclusive to one payload. It makes it more attractive.

Well put! That's exactly why I like the community side of this - I can flash any kind of loader, launch mattytrogs latest code, edit my own version, or just pop in hekate and go!

Last edited by electronrancher,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Welp, a replacement battery did the trick. :v Don't take shortcuts! Agh!

Thanks @electronrancher for reaching out to assist me in this! Definitely recommend this product as it's sleek, simple and rather useful in various ways. :O

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, a replacement battery did the trick. :v Don't take shortcuts! Agh!

Thanks @electronrancher for reaching out to assist me in this! Definitely recommend this product as it's sleek, simple and rather useful in various ways. :O

Nice! I'm so glad to hear that your problems are resolved, and I appreciate the kind words and you letting us know that it is all good!!!

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What dolly is referring to is a complaint I made about a Chinese dongle he posted using multiloader code, which looks like a knockoff of mattytrog's code.

I didn't advertise my board in his thread, and in fact, I suggested people use a trinket with Matty's original multi loader, freely available on the site here.

I get the sense now he is a vendor, mad at the negative feedback. Lol

My code is freely available, and my board is my own design. I don't think I've misappropriated anything. Even the SX bin is freely available on their website, so I'm having a hard time feeling bad for a knockoff shop.

There will probably be some more complaints and shitposting on this thread from the Chinese troll factory, so bear with it and I'm sure things will get back to normal in a few days.

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. Looks like things are settling down again so we'll just get back to it.

An announcement for orders that came in over the weekend: The mail has been screwed up here due to the hurricane - they didn't even come by on Saturday, for example. But I just took all the weekend orders over to USPS myself today, so even if they don't run the mail routes tomorrow your boards should still be going out.

As always, don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions!

And if anyone wants to send me some HQ shots of their SAMD board in action, I'll gladly accept them as I heard a kind suggestion today that I should update my photos when I get a chance. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1