Hardware Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well i am looking for a tablet and i found the samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition. So i red a few reviews and i gotta say: 'its a pretty neat piece of technology' (i think). And futhermore it has that pencil-like stylus, which i love cuz i want to use it mostly for sketching (deviantart etc.) but also for high school and daily life. But (as you maybe already know) i am not the mister-know-it-all when it comes to speaking about tablets so is there anyone with hand-on expierence or/and knows if its a good tablet?

sorry for the misleading title

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Misleading title... and wrong section (http://gbatemp.net/forums/android.228/).

In any case, it's only a slightly improved SG Tab 2, making it a mid-range tablet. It's good as far as tablets go, but for what it has, the Lenovo IdeaTab S600 may be a better choice (it has quad-core and costs 25% less). Or if your budget is higher, you can go for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z (quad core, 2GB RAM, better build and better display, for 25% more).
Source: engadget

As for the final choice... it really depends on what you want/need it for. If you need the stylus, then go for it. If you want performance, there are other options. If you love Samsung, then nothing anybody says will convince you otherwise.
Me personally, I've got my iPad 2 and Air (sold the 2 to my dad) and Microsoft Surface Pro. Been thinking about an Android tablet, but I don't have enough use for one yet to justify the purchase.

Reactions: mr. fancypants

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
It you'll use stylus a lot then it's a good choice but you should check the Google Nexus 10. After using my sisters samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0, Nexus 10 felt like using a tech from future. And it has pure android so it may not have a fancy looking menu or other stuff compared to samsung touchwiz but it makes nexus 10 faster without all those bloatware. Perfect for watching movies, reading e-book or manga and doing other stuff.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I made a really in-depth review of the Note 10.1 2014 before, so I'll sort of copy-pasta it here:
I have a Note 10.1 2014 (LTE edition) and I really love it. Without root it was slightly laggy(Touchwiz, that is), but once I removed KNOX and all the bloatware it went better.

I can recommend the LTE version, because it has a Snapdragon processor, as opposed to the Exynos 5 in the Wifi and 3g versions, which yelds much faster charging and a superior GPU(seeing as you want to have a good time sketching and you are on a gaming forum). Also, the LTE version can be rooted without losing your warranty (tripping KNOX, as they say at XDA).

In terms of games/emulation, it's awesome.
Running Mupen64 full speed on most games and even the Dreamcast emulator works fairly well (been playing Sonic Adventure and it has only slight lags here and there). DraStic works excellently(pretty much a given with the built-in stylus) and PPSSPP runs KH:Birth by Sleep nearly full speed, so the performance is awesome.
I've also been playing Deemo for the last few days and can't stop myself.

In terms of Image Editing...well it's really lackluster.
Sketchbook Pro is preinstalled in the Note, but I find it incredibly difficult to use due to the hefty amount of menus it has(honestly, I prefered the Gingerbread versions). Although I've seen people that can use it pretty well.
A great alternative is ArtFlow Studio, which has less brushes, but they're a lot more smooth and just feel better to use. Oh, and the interface is a lot more straightforward than Sketchbook. I've seen some really good work made on Artflow, but without a magic wand/selection tool and proper airbrushes I'll prefer to use SAI every day.
Photoshop Touch isn't very useful, so bleh...
At least the tablet handles all those programs without a hinch and the pressure sensitivity is pitch-perfect.
So, if you really need image editing, I can suggest getting Wacom's Windows 8 tablet (can't bother to search up it's name) or the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. But if you're a cheapskate like me and can survive without SAI, it does the job good enough.

In terms of built-in features, there's loads of bloatware and a couple of cool features, them being S-Note, Smart Screen(for watching films) and to a certain extent, the Action Memo. Multi-window is nice(especially when you root and get up to 4 windows), but unless you root, the compatibility is quite limited(for example, you can't run Artflow and Chrome at the same time, but you can run Youtube and Twitter, it's inconsistent).

Battery life is good, it clocks up to 8 hours with mild usageand around a week on standby, although I read that the Exynos version's battery does much worse on standby. The screen is just....wow. I swear, I haven't seen a device with a more beautiful screen. The colours are incredible and dat 2560x1600. It's good to see Samsung have taken a lesson from the original Note 10.1 (ugh, 1200x800). The camera is average, but I don't expect anyone to take photos with this thing. The Dual-band Wifi works well enough, no complaints there. The speakers are also average, although you can sometimes cover them up.

For general multi-tasking...well, this thing has more RAM in it than my computer, so you can be sure it'll run at least 10 apps simultaniously without strain even on Touchwiz. For general every day activities you cannot find a better tablet.

The only really dissappointing thing about this tablet is Android 4.3, thus no KitKat update yet. And no custom ROMs either(heck, my 2-year old LG O2x has a 4.4 custom ROM, I wonder why nobody is developing for the thing).

So all in all:
Pros:
- Legendary screen
- Awesome battery
- Great performance (even greater when rooted)
- S-pen integration is pretty nice
- Multi-window and S-note
- Amazing gaming capabilities

Cons:
- No great apps for drawing/image editing (Artflow Studio will likely be the first to take that spot)
- No Android 4.4
- KNOX

I say, get the tablet. Since you said that you'll use it for all sorts of things.
Although if image editing is all that's important grab a Surface Pro 2/Wacom Windows 8 tablet.
It's all up to your needs. Hope I helped. :)

Quick edit: I saw some people recommended the Nexus 10/other tablets. While those do have no bloatware from the getgo, they lack certain features which only the Note has. And bloatware can easily be uninstalled via root. Also, the Nexus 10 kinda sucks for drawing, since you'll need to use one of those rubbery thick styluses.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- No great apps for drawing/image editing (Artflow Studio will likely be the first to take that spot)
- No Android 4.4

Autodesk Sketchbook pro and adobe photoshop touch (tablet) should keep you covered and have active stylus support and lecturenotes is supperb for note taking
Kitkit is coming, they released a press release last week about all devices that will receive it

I own a first gen note 10.1 and its also getting kitkat

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country
Autodesk Sketchbook pro and adobe photoshop touch (tablet) should keep you covered and have active stylus support and lecturenotes is supperb for note taking
Kitkit is coming, they released a press release last week about all devices that will receive it

As I said in the spoiler tags, Sketchbook Pro has a very slow UI compared to, for example, Artflow. And Photoshop Touch has barely any features behind it (I only use it for occasional stretching, filter or lens flare). Lecturenotes is a nice app, but the built-in S-Note does the job surprisingly well. And, yeah, I didn't mention the news on Kitkat, as the almost the whole thing was copypasta'd from my review a month ago.

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country

As I said in the spoiler tags, Sketchbook Pro has a very slow UI compared to, for example, Artflow. And Photoshop Touch has barely any features behind it (I only use it for occasional stretching, filter or lens flare). Lecturenotes is a nice app, but the built-in S-Note does the job surprisingly well. And, yeah, I didn't mention the news on Kitkat, as the almost the whole thing was copypasta'd from my review a month ago.

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country

Edit: Triple post. WTF? :blink:

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am interested in one too. I can't decide between the 10.1 or the 8.0 but I am leaning toward the 8.0.

This topic title is misleading, since it says Tab (no S pen) but you're talking about the Note. (with S pen)

In contrary to an above post, there are good drawing apps. They are Sketchbook and some other one, a poster above me mentioned Artflow, that might be the one I was thinking of.
The problem is whether they support S pen. If I remember correctly, Artflow supports pressure sensitivity, and I think Sketchbook Pro does as well.
This could be a problem since Sketchbook Mobile is much more responsive than Sketchbook Pro (at least on my 2012 Nexus 7) not to mention user friendly. I guess that is why I should go for a higher spec 10.1 instead of the 8.0. Never thought of it that way.
edit: Although to be honest, pressure sensitivity may not be that important, the main draw is the stylus itself. (lol main draw... I made a pun)

Although if image editing is all that's important grab a Surface Pro 2/Wacom Windows 8 tablet.
I just heard of a Windows 8 tablet the other day and it was surprisingly affordable. (like $329)
Asus Vivotab Note 8. I was shocked since it's pretty much exactly what I had wanted.

But after thinking about it I think I would rather have Android since I figure the software will be better designed for a tablet. The ability to zoom/pan using my hand is something I am not going to give up now that I've seen how essential it is and I'd rather not have to put up with software that lacks this feature due to being designed for desktop.

Furthermore, on Windows 8 it could be a problem finding/acquiring software at all, as well as paying for it.
On Android the drawing apps are really cheap compared to desktop counterparts ($5 versus $50?), and I am familiar with some of them already. I am familiar with Android too, whereas I have no idea what Windows 8 on a tablet will be like. (and the desktop version of Windows 8 is not very reassuring) The only thing missing from Android was pressure sensitivity and a more accurate stylus tip, which the Galaxy Note series provides.

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
My mother has had 2 Galaxy tabs and they were both shite. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which suffered a firmware problem and completely died and no one could fix it (no idea why not by whatever) so she bought a Tab 3 7.0 which suffered the exact same problem and is currently with Samsung to try and fix. They don't seem to be able to make tablets too well I've no idea why. Some of my friends have had similar problems with their galaxy tabs.

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

yes i going to use that apps so no worries about the apps. and i am not a big fan of windows 8

btw ilman thx for your review!

when it really comes to sketching is wacom the best but i am going to use it for all kind of things so

and i am not so demanding cuz i had a samsung galaxy Xcover and everything is better than that piece of crap, yes even the WII U is better (i know its not a very good comparison:P )

and its not that i have piles of money and i also want to buy a decent keyboard/hose

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
if you want a cheap good android device, I,d recommend getting a galaxy s3, it has better performance than that tablet, but is also cheaper and a phone, I also can also teach you how to overclock it while making the phone cooler than stock

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IMO its a perfect device for drawing ( you get the sketchbook app free from samsung so..) and i have owned a ds for more than 5 years now and i always used a pen and the tablet has also a pen. but on the other hand sometimes it can be a teeny tiny bit laggy, ow yes and youtube doesnt work as it should, but thats a general android problem (or i heard so).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.