Hardware Scratches, Screen Protectors, and Stuck Pixels vs. 3D

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a bad track record with stuck/dead pixels on my new LCD electronic devices. My PSP was returned three times on launch day, and my first DS Lite wasn't any better. For anyone who finds themselves staring at a bright blue pixel in the middle of their screen, you know how distracting this can be.

Cut to the 3D effects offered by the 3DS. If you have some sort of hologram, whether it be some fancy cover of a DVD movie, or even a bookmark you bought at a giftshop while on vacation, try this. Place a coin, or sticker on the hologram, and notice how the 3D effect becomes absent in this given space. Then I think about how crappy a scratch on the 3DS screen could be. Wherever there's a scratch, or scuff, there won't be any 3D effects at all. It's like a slice through the eye candy.

A dead or stuck pixel on a regular LCD screen is annoying enough, but realize that this pixel will never adhere to 3D, if it doesn't adhere at all. And then I think about screen protectors, which I apply to all my electronic devices with screens. I imagine that as long as the protector is clear, it shouldn't bear any negative effects on the display.

The point of this post, is that you better keep your 3DS top screen in perfect condition, otherwise the 3D effects might be really fudged.

Falcon27252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be really annoying having a cut/scratch across the top screen.Imagine you're playing a pet game on your 3DS, you look and smile at your little hamster but then you see a cut straight through his neck.So if you wanna save your hamster, then treat your screen carefully.
lecture.gif

When I get my 3DS I'm gonna be really careful with it and try to not scratch it as much as I did with my DS Lite.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
scratches are pretty much impossible on any DS.
thats why they made the clam shell design, no scratches in pocket..
if there is scratches on any DS screen it on perpous.

i think they will swap it out if you buy it with a broken pixel like they did DS, iv never experienced the broken pixel on any DS or DSi tho. i do remember one of my GBAs having it tho.

not sure if the screen on 3D is even possible of getting broken pixels, have you seen how its built? maby the bottom screen but i doubt that too.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:

i think they will swap it out if you buy it with a broken pixel like they did DS, iv never experienced the broken pixel on any DS or DSi tho. i do remember one of my GBAs having it tho.

not sure if the screen on 3D is even possible of getting broken pixels, have you seen how its built? maby the bottom screen but i doubt that too.
To say that a scratch on any screen is "On Purpose," is ridiculous. Anyone who scratches their screen on purpose probably ate the paste in pre-school. Frugal gamers might buy their 3DS "used" at a local game retailer in the future. Children who own these systems always find a way to fuck them up, because that's what children do, and us adults wonder where they went wrong.

If you're an original owner, and a responsible person, chances are that you'll keep the system in perfect condition. It's that moment that you let a nephew, or neice, handle it for five minutes, where it gets all messed up. The positive advantage is that the top screen doesn't require touching, so it shouldn't be victim to repeated abuse.

I can only imagine that the top screen will always be of the utmost concern while playing the 3DS. Even a finger smudge will ruin the effect, so keep the greasy fingers off.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
well just for kicks i sometimes play love plus on my ds with a steak knife, everyone likes a good knifing

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good question. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Also, to say it is impossible to get scratches on your DS is rediculous. It is easy to scratch a DS. Any dust from your pocket can cause scratches on the DS. Of course we're talking superficial scratches, not deep ones. However, it is interesting to ask this questions. I wonder how this would effect things.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
t377y000 said:

To say that a scratch on any screen is "On Purpose," is ridiculous. Anyone who scratches their screen on purpose probably ate the paste in pre-school. Frugal gamers might buy their 3DS "used" at a local game retailer in the future. Children who own these systems always find a way to fuck them up, because that's what children do, and us adults wonder where they went wrong.

If you're an original owner, and a responsible person, chances are that you'll keep the system in perfect condition. It's that moment that you let a nephew, or neice, handle it for five minutes, where it gets all messed up. The positive advantage is that the top screen doesn't require touching, so it shouldn't be victim to repeated abuse.

I can only imagine that the top screen will always be of the utmost concern while playing the 3DS. Even a finger smudge will ruin the effect, so keep the greasy fingers off.

i have all gameboys (except sp & micro), & all DS (excepts xl), & the sega handheld game gear, all in perfect condition. no scratches on screen. workign great, & i just recently got pokemon green version for orgin gameboy
mthrnitesmiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It's being just a little careful
My DSL has just the inevitable touchscreen scratches (just because I didn't buy the protectors) and I'm not that careful with it.

And I don't know how the 3DS will react to that but I hope it doesn't screw it up too much...

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's been difficult, but my top screen and touch screen on my DSi, are still perfect, I only use the stylist on it, and will gently clean the screens every now and then. I hope Nintendo uses a glass display that devices are using now.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are saying you have no superficial scratches? I am not talking deep scratches. I am talking the system is shut off and you tilt it into the light and see marks across the screen that can not be wiped clean. These happen due to dust moving around. How careful can you really be. I don't even carry my portables in my pocket and they all have slight scratches as I mention.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Nintendo will foresee this and either offer screen protectors with the system or allow you to purchase official ones separately.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
alucard77 said:
You guys are saying you have no superficial scratches? I am not talking deep scratches. I am talking the system is shut off and you tilt it into the light and see marks across the screen that can not be wiped clean. These happen due to dust moving around. How careful can you really be. I don't even carry my portables in my pocket and they all have slight scratches as I mention.

I only have a few in my DSL shell and as I already mentioned, the unavoidable stylus scratches for playing games like Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword or TWEWY...
Top screen is as good as new and touch screen isn't really afar from that

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I scratched my original DS's touch screen (a tiny bit) while playing a Harvest Moon game way back in the day. Thankfully by the time I got Elite Beat Agents I had a screen protector on it. I killed many a screen protector playing EBA, but saved my screens on all my DSes. First thing I plan to do is get some official Nintendo certified 3DS screen protector before I play any games, mostly because I know my first test game for old DS games will be EBA or one of the Ouendans. (I always use them as test games since I've played them so much)

I'd go as far as to say not keeping some kind of screen protection on your systems is asking for trouble, no matter how careful you are and how well you take care of your systems accidents do happen. You are either prepared for them, or left crying when something unforeseen happens.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
Well honestly A LOT of stuff on Nintendo systems are made for kids. You can't just shove in a delicate screen and not expect it to be scratched. Sure my DSi screen is scratch free, but anyone under the age of 12 will find it near impossible to keep scratches off their screen. And just how many people under 12 will be having their parents buy them a 3DS?

Most non-hardcore gamers will probabally get careless at one stage an end up scratching their screen regardless of age.

Quite simply Nintendo will have to either find a solution to this problem or end up creating a 2D 3DS

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hasn't the dead pixel issue already been discussed, and most people said it would be less noticeable because the other eye will still see the pixel, because there are two different pixels for one spot on the screen, one for each eye. And your brain is used to something only being visible in one eye, so the dead pixel should be less noticeable. Shouldn't it?

hope this makes sense

EDIT: 100th post! yay
laugh.gif

EDIT #2: Here's the thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=234...ad+stuck+pixels

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
DunkrWunkah said:
Won't the air bubbles from the screen protector also adhere the 3D effect? I hope it comes with one already factory-applied.
You just have to know how to put em on right.
wink.gif

And at least for me any small air bubble is invisible once the screen lights up, I don't think they'd affect the 3D at all.

DarknessxD407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would mess with the 3d just like a regular 2d screen when it has a dead pixel. imagine this is the 3ds screen with one dead pixel on the right screen of the 3d screen
mar23crosseye3d1.jpg
although I'm under no proof that is what the screens will look in 3d.
If you can't go cross eye try getting a image in a 3d format and resizing to 400x240 then adding a black dot on one side (ex: black on red image not blue image ect.)

Little easier to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: