Hacking [Scripts] DSiWare Conversion: Easily Convert To .NDS and .CIA Files!

Arnold101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, i have dsi ware games in cia format or nds format, how i can install them in a dsi using hiiya? please help

CartoonAsriel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Run _BIN_To_NDS.nds, it should start showing you the names of the DSiWare titles you are converting." Did you mean "_BIN_To_NDS.bat" because I didn't see it as an .nds file.

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried converting a dsiware to cia and installing it on my 3ds. it worked (showed up in my installed nand titles on my 3ds via fbi) but does not show up on my 3ds home screen, nor under dsiware titles in the 3ds settings. what am I doing wrong?

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got a bunch of DSiWare .nds files. How can I play them on my DSi? I just installed Hiya today. I can run DS games from DSiMenu++, but not the DSiWare.

Do I need to extract them from the .nds file and install them to the SD?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a bunch of DSiWare .nds files. How can I play them on my DSi? I just installed Hiya today. I can run DS games from DSiMenu++, but not the DSiWare.

Do I need to extract them from the .nds file and install them to the SD?

I think the DSi(XL) installs DSiWare in a container format called *.tia (TWL Installable Archive), which is like the *.cia (CTR Installable Archive) for the 3DS.

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think the DSi(XL) installs DSiWare in a container format called *.tia (TWL Installable Archive), which is like the *.cia (CTR Installable Archive) for the 3DS.

Yeah I was reading that guide, but it didn't look like it dealt with .nds files.

Anyway, I figured it out :)

I used https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-dsi-title-manager-for-hiyacfw.518053/ to install the .nds file to my DSi and then used https://dsi.cfw.guide/assets/files/launcharggen.zip to create launchers that I can use in DSiMenu++

Not sure if there's a way to play .nds DSiWare directly

Now to find out if there's actually any DsiWare worth playing :)

Last edited by chr0m,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Argh, double post. It keeps happening on here, I click "Post Reply" and it just sits there, so I click it again and it ends up posting twice

Angar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Same for me here. Impossible to make any DSiWare game .nds start successfully from TWighLightMenu++: just frozen white screen as a result every time! :(

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same for me here. Impossible to make any DSiWare game .nds start successfully from TWighLightMenu++: just frozen white screen as a result every time! :(
TWiLight Menu++ doesn't play DSiWare games. It does original Nintendo DS *.nds roms and some homebrew emulators.

You convert DSiWare *.nds roms into *.cia and install them on HOME Menu with the script provided by dpad_5678.

Read the previous several posts on how to use it.

Angar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thank you for your reply TurdPooCharger!!
Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck with that method either (I actually tried it first, before restorting to TWighLightMenu...)

I followed the method given by dpad to the letter really (or so I believe anyway): I took DSiWare games NDS files (from a certain collection folder on "that ISO site"), I extracted some of these to a folder along with "make_cia.exe", and then in a command line I typed:

make_cia --srl=WHATEVERGAMENAME.nds

which successfully outputs a .cia alright.
Although once I put it on my SD_Card and try to install it, FBI refuses and gives me an error screen with some codes (I could quote these if it helps?). I use a New 3DSXL under Luma3DS, by the way.

Do you see what I'm doing wrong here, or what I could try to make it all work?

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated, as you can guess!!! I have like a thousand NDS DSiWare, yet at the moment no way of playing them on my 3DS... :-/

Last edited by Angar,

Angar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, I tried a bunch of them. To be honest I didn't have one specific game in mind to convert. Like I told you I have a collection of thousand .nds DSiWare game files.
For instance if you need some specific titles, the last 2 games I tried to install were "Ace Mathician (USA)" and "DotMan (USA)".
(I am using a European N3DS, but I always get only US titles if there's a choice because they're smaller in size + I want my games to be in english (even though I'm french myself! ;).
If you need more infos about my failing install with FBI, just ask. And thank you very much indeed for trying to help!

Angar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
@TurdPooCharger: OMG, I'm such a NOOB!!! I'm so sorry for bothering you with all this: just realised the FBI error when installing is nothing more than due to unsufficient space left for installing on my TWL_NAND!!!!

I truly hope I haven't wasted too much of your time with this! Accept my full apologies, I feel really dumb right now... (; -__-)

Anyway, thank you again for your time! Truly grateful you took some for me.
Cheers man!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, @Angar. I'm going to post this step-by-step instructions in case others run into a similar issue or need some tips on what to look out for.

Installing a DSiWare *.cia onto the 3DS using
Ace Mathician (USA) as an example title.

Easy Method
  1. Go to that iso site and find the blue flame, white dog yokai with the green satchel. She(?) hosts a collection of several DSiWare games in *.cia format.
    • You'll need a username and password to access that iso site.
    • It doesn't have to be this site. For simplicity sake, you found your rom there or somewhere else.
  2. Download Ace Mathician (USA).cia and install with FBI. Hurray!
Okay, that was the nontrivial solution. Let's say your specific DSiWare title can't be readily found as a *.cia.

Hard Method

1. Go to that iso site and find that line art guy who looks pissed off and has a plain t-shirt holding a toolbox. He has 1067 DSiWare titles in their original *.nds format.
○ He's also the one who's famous for hosting official 3DS themes for all three JPN, USA, and EUR regions.
2. Download his Ace Mathician (USA).zip (1.64 MB - 06B1D97E) and unpack it to get Ace Mathician (USA).nds (4.32 MB - 2CAE9F9C).

3. Download and unpack dpad_5678's SRL_Scripts_dpad_5678.zip into its own folder.
○ If you have either 7-Zip or WinRAR installed, there should be a right-click mouse option to Extract to SRL_Scripts_dpad_5678.
Unzip-archive.png
4. Using @Nomelas advice found here, edit the _NDS_To_CIA.bat with a text editor.

Change this line from:
Code:
make_cia --srl=output-nds/%%G
to
Code:
make_cia --srl="output-nds/%%G"
○ You'll want to add the quotation marks. This will make it easier to convert *.cia with the original file names.​

5. Place Ace Mathician (USA).nds in the output-nds folder and double click the _NDS_To_CIA.bat executable script.

6. In the output-cia folder, there should be a Ace Mathician (USA).cia (4.34 MB). Add that to the 3DS SD card.

7. When turning on the 3DS with card, hold the (Select) button to boot the Luma3DS v9.1 configuration. Ensure that ( ) Autoboot EmuNAND is not selected.
○ DSiWare games and titles do no work in EmuNAND (as of Nov-14, 2018).
○ You can also check in System Settings for the Sys tag if the (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings is selected.
luma_config.png

System-Settings-NAND-and-firmware.png
8. Install Ace Mathician (USA).cia with FBI. Check if the TWLNAND drive has enough free space.
○ TWLNAND: 137.4 MB (available) vs. Installed Size: 4.44 MB (required)
FBI-TWLNAND-freespace.png
9. Launch Ace Mathician and enjoy!
Ace-Mathician.png

Ace-Mathician-In-Game.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: g12345567

PokeNev

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea how to get the nds file ( after I converted it ) to work on desmune or if it could work on my flashcart that would be nice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe