Scrolling Signatures

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have noticed recently that a lot of people have avatars taking over the 150 pixel height (and sometimes the 500 pixel width, but not really a problem) limit. As far as I was aware, this is against the rules, so either my browser has had some setting messed up, the mods have become lazier ( :P) at moderating this rule, or people are just not paying attention to it.

I only noticed this because it's extremely annoying scrolling down a page (with the mouse wheel) then ending up over a tall signature which 'stops' you from scrolling for a while.

Could I request that this rule to be enforced more than it is currently and to inform people that there IS actually a limit (as they obviously didn't read the rules upon registration).

Thanks,
Wizzerzak.

edit: just re-read it and it sounds a little harsh, it's just this really irritates me.

Reactions: 6 people

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
oh lol im dumb. If i maximize my window it goes away lol

Ok so i usually dont use gbatemp as a full screen window. So nevermind, but i still think its annoying to have to scroll through someones sig. Even yours.
yeah. but i've got myself used to move the cursor by the avatar area or to the far left when scrolling the temp.
but yeah, it used to be annoying.

wait my sig?

no no not you, i dont even see you having a sig.
oh, hehe, i though you were talking to me.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh lol im dumb. If i maximize my window it goes away lol

Ok so i usually dont use gbatemp as a full screen window. So nevermind, but i still think its annoying to have to scroll through someones sig. Even yours.
yeah. but i've got myself used to move the cursor by the avatar area or to the far left when scrolling the temp.
but yeah, it used to be annoying.

wait my sig?

no no not you, i dont even see you having a sig.
oh, hehe, i though you were talking to me.
no haha its ok, i dont mind scrolling through your sig.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suggest the scroll ability be removed (via styling that area), for two reasons.

1 - People who use overly large signatures will now have them cut off without the ability to view the rest, encouraging them to abide by the limit to make things visible.

2 - It won't make pages stop mid-way through a scroll anymore if it won't scroll at all.

Win-win?
The scrolling is to prevent people trolling with ridiculously huge images/wall of texts.
It also makes it super easy to notice if someone has gone over the limitations.
If they're over then scrollbars show up.

Also, the delay from scrolling through the signature scrollbar isn't that bad.
If the scrollbars are removed you'd just be scrolling the full height of the signature anyway, no difference there.

As for simply cropping it, then people could just hide 5MB JPG files in their signature and that's no fun either is it? :P

Reactions: 2 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The scrolling is to prevent people trolling with ridiculously huge images/wall of texts.
The scroll ability, not just hiding the bar. If it's too long it gets visually cut off, period.

Also, the delay from scrolling through the signature scrollbar isn't that bad.
With many setups and browsers, it's not a delay, it's a full-on stop.

As for simply cropping it, then people could just hide 5MB JPG files in their signature and that's no fun either is it? :P
People can currently hide 5MB transparent/white animated GIFs and such via not having frame compositing enabled as well... any methods to find one would count on the filesize and HTML location, which would catch both methods and the user regardless.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
can this rule please be enforced?
The maximum combined file size for all graphics in a member's avatar and signature is: 80Kb
People in glass houses...
It's 12KB over... :glare: If that matters to anyone I point them to the mobile site.

Anyway, Rydian has a good point, is there not a way to just crop off anything over 500 pixels?
I'm assuming this would also fix the problem I had with having 2 pictures.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll begin messaging people with scrolling signatures in the next couple of days.
Know that if your signature has a scrollbar then it is indeed too large and may be removed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The scrolling signatures are especially annoying when I'm browsing the site on my iPhone.
Welcome, cave men and women. Welcome in the year 2012, where transfer rates are much, much faster and signatures are not a big deal, and if your browser's crap then just disable signatures altogether.

Seriously people, all you need is a [Hide Signature]/[Show Signature] button when it crosses a certain size, that's it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seriously people, all you need is a [Hide Signature]/[Show Signature] button when it crosses a certain size, that's it.

The "hide signature" button is that little X on the far right side of the signature.
(usually under the "like this" button)
What I meant was "add a script that hides signatures which cross a certain size (filesize or physical size) rather then bother PM'ing users from now till forever and a day more". You already can hide signatures, why not do it automatically?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, srsly?