SEGA delisting standalone versions of games featured in Sonic Origins collection

header.jpg

After finally giving a release date for the upcoming classic Sonic collection Sonic Origins, SEGA announced today this would soon be the only way to purchase those games digitally. On May 20, more than a month before Sonic Origins releases on June 23, SEGA will delist all standalone versions of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD. The only two exceptions are that Sonic 1 and 2 will still be available through the SEGA AGES ports on Nintendo Switch, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will remain available through the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack.

:arrow: Source (GBAtemp Inbox)

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
What worries me about this game is that references to the 'Prenium Fun Pack' DLC talk about in-game currency. I hope this doesn't translate in microtransactions.
I'm concerned a bit about that too, hopefully it's just a wording issue and it ends up just being a medal system like Mania had. Alas if that ends up being the case I'll just ask for a refund on steam and use the Retro Engine Decompilations and Sonic 3 AIR

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,
Reactions: pustal

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny enough, I actually already had these games. If I recall, they were part of a humble bundle a few years ago and super cheap. Like a few dollars got you all the 2D Sonic games, and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny enough, I actually already had these games. If I recall, they were part of a humble bundle a few years ago and super cheap. Like a few dollars got you all the 2D Sonic games, and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.
SA2 is still enjoyable, but I really hate when Sonic goes thru the walls. It just shows how broken it is even though it's in HD.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought the xbox 360 versions of sonic the hedgehog 1, 2, 3, sonic and knuckles, and the christian whitehead sonic cd release before they are all gone for backwards compatibility. Thanks for the heads up.
They are BC already? Can they revoke BC for them? I suppose, buy that would be rather disrespectful and selfish of Sega.

I'm mainly a PlayStation player, but Xbox is more user-friendly by supporting multiple generations without the need of "tiers."

Reactions: cvskid

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
They are BC already? Can they revoke BC for them? I suppose, buy that would be rather disrespectful and selfish of Sega.

I'm mainly a PlayStation player, but Xbox is more user-friendly by supporting multiple generations without the need of "tiers."

I doubt they'd remove them from BC, but they could still delist them from the store.

I thought you will get the original games (emulated) as well in this game?

I thought these were all based on the Retro engine ports.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, whenever they do this, it’s a sign that they know it’s going to be anti-consumer in some way and they don’t want to have any other superior version available for sale.

And this confirms that these remakes are to replace the originals in one way or another.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really mind the steam versions getting delisted since an update turned the existing Genesis games in everyone's library into DLC and now it forces you to use their 3D Genesis "Interactive Hub" which shouldn't even need an explanation as to why it sucks

the only positive is that it has really good built-in romhack support

Reactions: Henx

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
SEGA does what Nintendoes.

Nintendo pretty much follows the same shit rhetoric, if not worse.
If you haven't noticed, All-Stars seems to be missing from almost all Virtual Console/NSO re-releases.
They don't want you to play the remakes of the original NES titles, much less in a bundle since they get less money from it.

The other remakes they've done are pretty much stuck in hardware limbo until Nintendo gets to a decent enough hardware to emulate WiiU/3DS stuff.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish they would take this in the opposite direction for some releases now that 3 and Knuckles can be reissued in some form again. Go in and add those 2 into the Sega Genesis Classics collection and that game will be complete with every commercial Genesis Sonic game available to play in the collection.

Also wish they could complete the 3D collection on the 3DS and release Sonic 3 and Knuckles in 3D for the 3DS before its store closes. Yes I know none of this is going to happen, but it's so triggering of my OCD that these collections remain incomplete, especially the 3D collection of these games.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What worries me about this game is that references to the 'Prenium Fun Pack' DLC talk about in-game currency. I hope this doesn't translate in microtransactions.
I am pretty sure this was mentioned back before in that rings collected become currency to unlock other parts of the game the more you play it. Similar to what they did with the latest Super Monkey Ball game. Its not a form of actual microtransaction but progression limiter so you do not get to experience the whole game and its features at launch.

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure this was mentioned back before in that rings collected become currency to unlock other parts of the game the more you play it. Similar to what they did with the latest Super Monkey Ball game.
I think they're actually the separate new coin collectibles in the collection that are used to unlock other parts of the game not the standard rings themselves.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did they learn nothing from the """"definitive"""" version of them GTA games?
First the pre-order bs fiasco, now this... Oh well, not like the og games weren't hard to emulate or what already.

These dumb corpos never learn that giving choices is better than restricting people to something specific.
Sometimes the difference between a short-sighted shareholder chasing short-term profit and an ideologically obsessed lunatic who just wants to snatch at whatever authoritarian control opportunities arise bottom line be damned is impossible to see from outside.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We need a GTA based on your life