• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Segregation in Tel Aviv Schools (Bar Peleg) [Original Title: Court Rejects Asylum Seekers’ Petition Against Segregation in Tel Aviv Schools]

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
96029-2.jpg

The Tel Aviv District Court has rejected a petition by asylum seekers against their children’s de facto separation from Israeli children in Tel Aviv schools.

[...]

The petition was filed last year by asylum seekers whose children attend city schools. It was spurred by Haaretz’s report in 2020 that 91.5 percent of asylum seekers’ children attended schools without a single Israeli student. The city placed the others in schools that did have Israeli students, but only if the asylum seekers constituted no more than 30 percent of the student body.

Due to this policy, the petition said, many asylum seekers’ children were placed in schools far from their own homes rather than in the nearby schools that Israeli children attended.

The municipality countered that schools are assigned based solely on the child’s place of residence. But last September, after the petition was filed, it also agreed to place some asylum seekers’ children in schools outside their own neighborhoods, though only first through third graders, on condition that the schools had space and only if the parents requested it. This agreement followed negotiations between the city and the petitioners, with the court’s encouragement.

[...]

“These children, who were born in Israel, grew up there and aren’t going anywhere, are part of Israeli society,” they continued. “We will appeal to the Supreme Court.”'

-Bar Peleg

Bar%20Peleg%20(1).jpg

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...2-3c1d-d9f7-a9e6-fc3f225f0000?v=1659025050714

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can see some merit in separating students based on the presumptions of curricula. A sudden of influx of students, based on age and an incapable educational assessment, could be disruptive for the native children who are already engaged. What is the correct way of assimilation? It appears that Israel doesn't want to assimilate, and that is a big part of a problem. How are the lessons of history lost on this, I do not understand.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I can see some merit in separating students based on the presumptions of curricula. A sudden of influx of students, based on age and an incapable educational assessment, could be disruptive for the native children who are already engaged. What is the correct way of assimilation?
It appears that Israel doesn't want to assimilate, and that is a big part of a problem. How are the lessons of history lost on this, I do not understand.
This happens to children born in Israel. The israelis prefer to stay amoung themselves as this article reveals and they are free to choose so in their own country. I agree that segregation is a terrible systemic approach, but these are asylum seekers and they have, as far as I understand it, no grounds in staying in Israel forever.

Reactions: Tarmfot and tabzer

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I want to add that I understand that it is questionable to call Israel their own land, since they have gotten it by means many would describe as illegitimate.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I may have not been clear that "how it is" is not "how it started". While the segregation may have had started for a good reason (for handling the massive influx/incompatibility), the persistence of it indicates that it wasn't all that rooted in respect.

Have the Israelites decided to put the disenfranchised ethnic groups into camps yet?

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I may have not been clear that "how it is" is not "how it started". While the segregation may have had started for a good reason (for handling the massive influx/incompatibility), the persistence of it indicates that it wasn't all that rooted in respect.
It is rooted in selfpresevation.
Have the Israelites decided to put the disenfranchised ethnic groups into camps yet?
As long as there is no war between the two countries, there is no reason for that.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: tabzer and Creamu

Taikutsumaranai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
It is certainly as you said, it is self rooted self preservation. Even from a religious aspect they do not seek converts nor do they acknowledge them.
They've always thought themselves to be special. A very peculiar society.

Reactions: Creamu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢