ROM Hack SeiSaboten: Sword of Mana editor

kumandrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How to launch this utility? There's no exe file, and I can't launch it with python.
a friend of mine came to help me with the same problem, you have to do a lot of complicated stuff with python to make the editor work, python pip install and after that pithon install pyqt5 , when those two are installed on python and working, then you have to right click while holding tab inside the folder where the editor is and open a command console, then type py main.pyw and enter, thats how i made the editor work

Reactions: cearp

kumandrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
do somebody know how to change the enemies in the game with the editor ?? i would like to place some ciclops here and there but i cant figure it out, i know its possible xD , could someone please explain it to me :)

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
do somebody know how to change the enemies in the game with the editor ?? i would like to place some ciclops here and there but i cant figure it out, i know its possible xD , could someone please explain it to me :)
not possible with the current version... :) it will come.
it's not difficult to add.
but the problem is, finding the right area you want to add enemies in will be difficult.
there are no names linked to the areas currently, so, there will be lots of testing to find the correct area you want.
(for example, do you want to edit area 1, area 90, area 400... etc)
also, one area/room can have multiple enemy datas... because the types of enemies change on the time of day. so it's more to think about. (but the different times of day are next to each other, so that is good)

be patient, i will try to add it soon. at the moment i'm working on a game for switch... :)

Last edited by cearp,

kumandrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
not possible with the current version... :) it will come.
it's not difficult to add.
but the problem is, finding the right area you want to add enemies in will be difficult.
there are no names linked to the areas currently, so, there will be lots of testing to find the correct area you want.
(for example, do you want to edit area 1, area 90, area 400... etc)
also, one area/room can have multiple enemy datas... because the types of enemies change on the time of day. so it's more to think about. (but the different times of day are next to each other, so that is good)

be patient, i will try to add it soon. at the moment i'm working on a game for switch... :)
thank you so much for this editor and your patience and hard work!!! i will wait until you finish it :) i already made a rom hack with increased difficulty and beat it , now im playing a second version even harder, but its very difficult to balance the game haha

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thank you so much for this editor and your patience and hard work!!! i will wait until you finish it :) i already made a rom hack with increased difficulty and beat it , now im playing a second version even harder, but its very difficult to balance the game haha
that's the best news I could hear - exactly why I made it! really happy that it made at least one person on this earth happy - thanks!

- edit. you already made a hack with it and beat it...? wow, fast. to be honest, i've never finished the game... :D

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: kumandrake

kumandrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
that's the best news I could hear - exactly why I made it! really happy that it made at least one person on this earth happy - thanks!

- edit. you already made a hack with it and beat it...? wow, fast. to be honest, i've never finished the game... :D
2 people happy! me and my brother that always plays my rom hacks :) . im halfway through the second playthrough haha and i will do a third for sure, you should try to complete the game, its awesome, but i still recommend that you increase its difficulty a bit , its very easy xD , of course if you want i could give you a download link of my hack

fm39hz

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I can try to package it into an exe, there are a few tools that allow that. I'm not sure how wel they work though, I'll see :)
When i try to edit some dialogs in the usa rom, i can't save the edit
When i export to json then i can't import them back
Its bug or because i don't know how to use
If cuz i don't know then plz teach me to use
Tks

Last edited by fm39hz,

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When i try to edit some dialogs in the usa rom, i can't save the edit
When i export to json then i can't import them back
Its bug or because i don't know how to use
If cuz i don't know then plz teach me to use
Tks
hey, it's not a really bug... I never finished that feature sorry.
I want to finish it, but I get busy with my real job.
Sorry :(
It is still my plan to finish it!

fm39hz

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
hey, it's not a really bug... I never finished that feature sorry.
I want to finish it, but I get busy with my real job.
Sorry :(
It is still my plan to finish it!
Tks to let me know
Keep working for real life man
Do you have table for this game to dump text?
I tried to make ones but failed.
And i can't locate the font of games, is that because the image is encode?
Tks

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Tks to let me know
Keep working for real life man
Do you have table for this game to dump text?
I tried to make ones but failed.
And i can't locate the font of games, is that because the image is encode?
Tks
I have not researched graphics in this game. Fonts, enemy graphics etc... I do not know :) but it is possible I am sure.
Polish and Chinese translators managed to alter the font graphics.
What do you mean a 'table'? Is the json dump not enough? Happy to help.

fm39hz

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have not researched graphics in this game. Fonts, enemy graphics etc... I do not know :) but it is possible I am sure.
Polish and Chinese translators managed to alter the font graphics.
What do you mean a 'table'? Is the json dump not enough? Happy to help.
I read in some docs said that its need a table file (.tbl extensions) to import text back to rom game by Atlas
They said the table file is
09=A
0A=B
0B=C
Etc
I search for the word "unusual" in hex editor and found the word in the beginning of the boy dream
But when i apply it to make table for game, its failed
Tks for the help
Edit: I think i have to locate font address before making a table, but i still stuck

Last edited by fm39hz,

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I read in some docs said that its need a table file (.tbl extensions) to import text back to rom game by Atlas
They said the table file is
09=A
0A=B
0B=C
Etc
I search for the word "unusual" in hex editor and found the word in the beginning of the boy dream
But when i apply it to make table for game, its failed
Tks for the help
Edit: I think i have to locate font address before making a table, but i still stuck
Maybe this is what you want?
For the USA rom...
Where the in-game character values are in ROM:
https://github.com/llakssz/SeiSaboten/blob/6064319caa622299ce6a2be5d323ab2f34e294b3/locations.py#L16
What the characters are:
https://github.com/llakssz/SeiSaboten/blob/6064319caa622299ce6a2be5d323ab2f34e294b3/textman.py#L15
How I map the characters to the ROM values:
https://github.com/llakssz/SeiSaboten/blob/6064319caa622299ce6a2be5d323ab2f34e294b3/textman.py#L80

-- actually, I think you understand that part, you said you were able to search for text in the game rom.
so, you are saying you have problems if you try to (manually?) replace story text in the game?

Last edited by cearp,

fm39hz

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Maybe this is what you want?
-- actually, I think you understand that part, you said you were able to search for text in the game rom.
so, you are saying you have problems if you try to (manually?) replace story text in the game?
Hey, its actually what i really want
But then i realized that the usa rom don't have enough glyph for my language
I think i have to work with the japan rom right now
But still tks for the help
Edit: when i use hex editor to open rom, there is only few words are existing, and most of dialog are unable to read
I want to know how can you make all of them(dialogs, text, etc...) become to readable and editable on the editor
Edit2: do u have a discord or Telegram or anything else?

Last edited by fm39hz,

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hey, its actually what i really want
But then i realized that the usa rom don't have enough glyph for my language
I think i have to work with the japan rom right now
But still tks for the help
Edit: when i use hex editor to open rom, there is only few words are existing, and most of dialog are unable to read
I want to know how can you make all of them(dialogs, text, etc...) become to readable and editable on the editor
Edit2: do u have a discord or Telegram or anything else?
Possibly you can use one of the european roms? Even in the USA rom, many/most of the kanji are still present, but display strange.
The was no spacing when the characters were displayed, I don't know why.
Anyway, I'll send you a message :)

Reactions: fm39hz

thesubrosian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ThegreatBenDoyle after installing Python 3.10 (make sure that python is added to the PATH environment variable when you do the installation), type 'pip install PyQt5' in the command prompt. After doing those things I was able to get the editor to load by downloading the editor files, then clicking on main.pyw (or in command prompt, going to the directory of the editor and typing 'python main.pyw'). It worked for me, anyway (I use Windows 10).

@cearp Hello, thank you for this editor! Also, I was thinking of working on a hard mode hack of my own, and I was wondering if you would know how to edit:
  • costs of spells (I'm interested in making defensive magic cost the same as offensive magic, so 6MP, except for Wisp's healing, which I would like to make cost 9)
  • recovery item carrying limits (from what I'm aware, the default carrying capacity for items is 99, but I was wondering if I could set it to 4?)
I'm not so familiar with ROM hacking on the GBA, so it probably would take me a while to learn how reverse-engineer a GBA game such as this. I'm fine with hex-editing though! (and have done 65816 ASM hacking on the SNES) I suspect that it might take some additional logic to code in specific costs for Wisp and carrying capacities specific to recovery items, so if you can just find the ROM addresses for defensive spell costs and item carrying capacities, that would suffice. Regardless, any help with the editing I described above is appreciated!
Also I made a couple of fixes to the editor with the help of AI :P one of the fixes was to allow monster HPs over 512, as I found that HP values cycled back to 0 when going above 512. You can see my fixes in my fork to your repo (I can't post the link because new member restrictions).
So far I've made a ROM hack that buffs bosses' health severalfold ^_^

• Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Wal-Mart has 42" 4k TVs for only $150
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i bet it will not fit inside your bedroom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea here in North Korea, we are only allowed 1 19" tv per household. And the only channel we get is, MLT (Missile Launch Today)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, doesn't fit in his bedroom he's American
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore will give you a discount only if you order it online, bs. Should be a discount if I go pick it up, not order online.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mostly for big purchases, I want it in my hands before I pay. Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc) But yea if I can order online, then pickup at store is ok, but not all places offer that.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    > Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc)

Thing is, if you break it driving back to your house, it's your fault. But if the delivery driver damages it, it's not your fault.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most people that haul big tvs have empty trucks or know enough not to set it face down
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then I gotta send it back and wait another week or two. I have a pickup truck, with a extended cab, so no prob for me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most manufacturers pack it well enough where they aren't that dumb to let it happen
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They building a new Microcenter store near by me, is kinda scary. That's my favorite place, I'm like a kid in a candy store there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what's a microcenter?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool I'll make you ship me stuff
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microcenter sells high quality microwaves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Computer store basically, but they sell everything, like game systems, tvs , 3d printers, etc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea been itching to build a new pc, mine is like 3-4 years old, ancient in pc tech time. Still using a sata SSD even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's still high tech to ancientboi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda cool, I can buy a second Xbox for guests, and download all my purchased digital games to it, and play on both xboxs same time. Didn't know they allowed that. 2 xboxs per Xbox account.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2: A toaster is "High Tech" to me
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: A toaster is "High Tech" to me