Hacking Should I buy a new Switch

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
If you can afford a new switch and want to have one locked so you won't ban your accouint, the time to buy a new one is now, before Nintendo releases a firmware that closes software entrypoints and before a revised hardware that would close HW attacks.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My switch is on the latest fw and nervous about not getting homebrew at all. Would you buy a new one or just wait?
I have to buy a new one

4.1.0 (latest fw) is getting cfw and homebrew, so just wait and block updates. Chances of getting a 3.0.0 switch new at this point are slim
Do you have a source for it?

Last edited by Memfis,

albion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Check these forums. Confirmed by @SciresM that trustzone exploit exists on 4.1.0, and Atmosphere-NX cfw will get a 4.1.0 release.

I believe every version will have a break in the future. 1.0.0 maybe per month. 3.x a few months. 4.x the other year. 5.x, 6.x in the same luck after their release, the difference is just the point of time.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.x, 6.x in the same luck after their release, the difference is just the point of time.

Depending on what gets fixed, I disagree. Having reimplemented basically all of TrustZone, I know Nintendo's Secure Monitor inside and out. And aside from Deja Vu (and friends), it's flawless from a security perspective.

If/when Nintendo patches Deja Vu's underlying exploit for good, that's likely game over for TrustZonehax (although bootrom exploits will still suffice...but Nintendo is likely to patch those too so meh).

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Depending on what gets fixed, I disagree. Having reimplemented basically all of TrustZone, I know Nintendo's Secure Monitor inside and out. And aside from Deja Vu (and friends), it's flawless from a security perspective.

If/when Nintendo patches Deja Vu's underlying exploit for good, that's likely game over for TrustZonehax (although bootrom exploits will still suffice...but Nintendo is likely to patch those too so meh).
Hi SciresM. First: Respect for your work. It's great.
What would you advise to me? Buy now, or wait? I'm not sure. Again: There is no game I reaaly want to play. I'm ionly interested on (Dreamcast) Emulators. The rest is a nice giveaway.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi SciresM. First: Respect for your work. It's great.
What would you advise to me? Buy now, or wait? I'm not sure. Again: There is no game I reaaly want to play. I'm ionly interested on (Dreamcast) Emulators. The rest is a nice giveaway.

I have a warped sense of "worth" when these things are involved (keep in mind I own several Switches), so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

That said, now is a great time to get a Switch -- any switch bought now will be on a hackable firmware and have a bootrom vulnerable to known bugs.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe every version will have a break in the future. 1.0.0 maybe per month. 3.x a few months. 4.x the other year. 5.x, 6.x in the same luck after their release, the difference is just the point of time.
Except for cfw you need trustzone, which is hard to get to. Right now up to 4.1.0 is confirmed to have working exploits to get to trustzone, meaning we'll get cfw and homebrew on 4.1.0 relatively soon. If an update comes out that fixes this, it will likely be years before we see anything for newer firmwares unless we get lucky with yet another trustzone vulnerability.
And that's IF we get another vulnerability.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: albion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...