Should I buy PS Vita if I've got PSP Street?

kmpt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hello,
Should I buy PS Vita if I've got PSP Street? I like to play RPG, platformers, turn-based, action games. I won't play any games released on PC and PSP. I don't know if there's enough games on Vita for me? What else can be played comfortably on Vita - PSX, PS2, PS3 games?
Please share your thoughts guys, thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd look at a games' list if I were you. the vita doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives, but like the wiiu, even though it was failure, it's one of the best emulation devices.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Yoshkins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Should I buy PS Vita if I've got PSP Street? I like to play RPG, platformers, turn-based, action games. I won't play any games released on PC and PSP. I don't know if there's enough games on Vita for me? What else can be played comfortably on Vita - PSX, PS2, PS3 games?
If you don't have a switch and aren't looking to get a switch. (or can't easily sail the seas on your switch) I'd go for it assuming you already know what you want to play. There've been a lot of ports of ps vita exclusive games ported to other systems since then though so I'd search for this page: "gematsu exclusives psvita" and then also search up that title as a check as I'm sure that list probably hasn't been updated in a while. Also I'm sure you know this but ps2 is essentially only possible if an official port was made. I.e. Ratchet & Clank Jak and Daxter and Sly trilogies, and even then some of these ports run pretty bad without an overclock. Look up Jak on vita if you wanna see some slideshows. Ps3 is only possible through local streaming. There's been work on Dreamcast emulation but it's been kind of buggy for me and crashed semi often, ran pretty well though. Everything pre ps1 runs great. I'd say It really comes down to if there's games on the vita you can't get elsewhere. I only got mine because I wanted it pull double duty as a psp too.

Reactions: Mike_77712

RandomTask37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are you modding? It Atari to SNES/Genesis flawlessly, as well as PSX. There's a rough N64 emulator that runs some games too, like StarFox 64. Has a lot of ports too like Sonic Mania, AVP 2000, Max Payne, GTA III

aklik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello,
I have never seen a guy regret buying vita. There are tons of games on vita, tho few games which are better to play on PC, like persona 4 golden, because on vita it somehow has no sound settings. Usually it just feels better on vita.
As was already mentioned above there is not so many exclusive games, but there are some. Plus some which are shared between PS3 and Vita like Disgaea 3 for example.

sth_else

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Slightly less attractive if you already have a PSP.
VITA can play PS1 games which PSP also can
So the main difference will be VITA game + homebrews (including fan made ports), and better performance on emulating N64.
Not powerful enough to run PS2/GC, even some Camelot's GBA games (Golden Sun: The lost age) still laggy in VITA.
The rumored new Sony handheld "Q Lite" is going to be a remote-play device of PS5 and possibly it will have the combability with VITA and PSP.
But no one knows until it announced officially :)
Get one for collection is not a bad idea if budget allowed.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The stick on the vita is much nicer (and it's got 2!), though I like the street less shiny charcoal look.
And wifi works on my vita, psp wifi is old and won't connect to my router...

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you said you don’t want to play PSP games on it, then I think you are basically asking yourself - Are there PSVita games I want to play.

Take a look at the library and decide for yourself.

While the Vita is nice hardware, if you are just going to use it for emulation and aren’t interested in the Vita or PSP library, there isn’t a lot of reason to buy one now. A newer dedicated retro emulation handheld gives you more value for your money in most cases if you just want to emulate older consoles.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'd look at a games' list if I were you. the vita doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives, but like the wiiu, even though it was failure, it's one of the best emulation devices.

Yes and no, it can emulate stuff well up to Nintendo 64. Unfortunately the Nintendo 64 emulator has not been updated in ages.

The Vita however has lot of ports of games and game warpers.

A Vita can run PS1, PSP (with problems with some DLC) and Vita games. 8 bit and 16 bit emulators work well. GBA is aceptable but has some lag. Nintendo 64 is okay, Dreamcast is a work in progress, only some games are "playable" but that's with a lot of crashes and bugs.

The thing about the Vita is that nowadays getting one is getting expensive. If you just want an emulation machine and got no interest in Vita games a Steam deck is a better investment, unless you really need something small because you travel a lot or something.

I bought my Vita to hack it and play some Vita games I really wanted but I am frustrated with the PSP dlc problem that affects some games.

Overall I still love my Vita but is not for everyone.

Then again if you live outside the USA a Vita may prove way much cheaper that a Steam deck; depends on what you wanna play.

Andorin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok. Not everything on that topic is true. I’ve been playing hacked handhelds since I’m 10 (PSP, 3DS and now Vita) and I can tell you with no doubt that Vita is the best handheld you can afford.
Gba is perfect through RetroArch. Everything from NES to PS1 works.
You can play psp and vita full speed.
And above software, the hardware is the best you can find. Sony made the vita very well and the vita is the best system I’ve carried so far. Battery life (slim models) is a banger.

Don’t bother with psp. Just buy a vita.

Psp batteries are running dead with time and ppl sale a lot of fake ones on the internet.

Vita batteries last from 5 to 7 hours, you can do everything that a Psp does + Vita, indies and ports stuff.

No way you go psp.

Hosaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I was similar situation like you and decided to buy vita. I made a lot of mistake in my life but buying vita one of the best decision in my life. Even I have steam version which is far superior i played most of games on my vita. Like Ys, Trails in the sky series.

You can also play gba, gb, gbc, nes, snes, turbografx, genesis games etc. Just install retroarch vita. There are a lot of games in these platforms. Castlevania, Metroid, Mega man, Golden Sun, Lunar, etc etc...

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should buy a PS Vita, regardless. It is one of the best and most powerful emulation handhelds for its price that exists. Only the Switch is more readily available and more powerful.

Massive, huge library, tons of optimizations, and with an SD2Vita card, memory is super cheap.

You have no reason NOT to own a Vita.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Afaik, you no longer need an official card with henlo.

While true is still good to have one just in case, the 4 gb ones usually come with used Vitas and or are not that expensive to buy used. Plus sdtovita and others still have the same problem of "suddenly it fails" no matter what you do.

Yes, even using the best adapter you can find and those super expensive micro sd cards for digital video cams.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto