Should I upgrade to Tiramisu? Not sure what CFW my Wii U has

xtab

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi all, I haven't used my Wii U for 2 years, tried to install a game today but can't recall how to do it.

When I start my Wii U without any SD card in it and go to my home screen there are games installed on it and an app called homebrew. The games run fine. Clicking on the homebrew app brings up a blue screen with bubbles with "Homebrew Launcher v2.1 by Dimok" on the bottom right. There's nothing else on the screen so I can't select anything.

I've tried searching around for info, tried unzipping the homebrew launcher v2.1 to my SD card and chucking the game there, but when I boot the homebrew launcher I still get nothing.

Is there a step I'm missing out? Or do I need to start using Tiramisu(assuming it's better)? If it's the latter, do I reset my Wii U to the original settings or will that brick it?

Also, how do I get rid of that annoying prompt to sign in with my Nintendo ID whenever I access the home screen?

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You're probably on CBHC, if you have a homebrew launcher app on your home screen that works from a coldboot. Before Tiramisu this was the only way to coldboot into a signature patched custom firmware (what is needed for homebrew like this to run from the home screen.)

I would avoid formatting, and I'm pretty sure CBHC blocks that anyway. You could uninstall CBHC via its own uninstaller which would return the default boot title back to the home menu (instead of haxchi), but if you haven't used the console in two years and you have no idea what you've done with it in the past, this carries a risk that you might brick, if you had any modified system titles that wouldn't run anymore were you to boot without signature patches.

What are you trying to do, exactly? Tiramisu is cleaner and a lot safer than CBHC, but you're not really missing out on anything and you don't need to replace it if all you want to do is play games.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

xtab

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You're probably on CBHC, if you have a homebrew launcher app on your home screen that works from a coldboot. Before Tiramisu this was the only way to coldboot into a signature patched custom firmware (what is needed for homebrew like this to run from the home screen.)

I would avoid formatting, and I'm pretty sure CBHC blocks that anyway. You could uninstall CBHC via its own uninstaller which would return the default boot title back to the home menu (instead of haxchi), but if you haven't used the console in two years and you have no idea what you've done with it in the past, this carries a risk that you might brick, if you had any modified system titles that wouldn't run anymore were you to boot without signature patches.

What are you trying to do, exactly? Tiramisu is cleaner and a lot safer than CBHC, but you're not really missing out on anything and you don't need to replace it if all you want to do is play games.

I'm trying to install more games unto the system so I can start playing again, but I just can't recall how to. I vaguely recall putting in an SD card with the game installer + other files and then installing the game, but I've either lost that SD card or accidentally reformatted it :/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would avoid formatting, and I'm pretty sure CBHC blocks that anyway.
Don't rely on this. It tries to protect against moving the used DS title to USB and deleting/overwriting it. But I wouldn't count on protection against the "Format System Memory" option. Next problem: If not running the latest CBHC some protection is missing.

Wii U on CBHC needs to be treated carefully. I personally recommend getting rid of it with the uninstaller:
https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/uninstall-cbhc

xtab

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't rely on this. It tries to protect against moving the used DS title to USB and deleting/overwriting it. But I wouldn't count on protection against the "Format System Memory" option. Next problem: If not running the latest CBHC some protection is missing.

Wii U on CBHC needs to be treated carefully. I personally recommend getting rid of it with the uninstaller:
Thanks, I'll try that out!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
CBHC TLDR : if you format with cbhc installed, your wiiU is bricked

don't take touching cbhc lightly, find a tutorial to uninstall, triple read, triple check
i didnt installed it for this reason, too many ways to fck it up by accident

Reactions: Takokeshi

xtab

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry guys still a little confused here.
So if I follow the guide, it says I have to uninstall the DS Virtual Console game? I can't see any and I just get a blank blue screen when I click on the homebrew app, so is it alright to uninstall the application called DON'T TOUCH ME(step 6)?

I'm not sure if a blank blue screen in the homebrew app is due to not having the correct SD Card in the Wii U(lost it) or because it's not installed?

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you ran CBHC uninstaller, then the DON'T TOUCH ME app can be safely removed. Don't remove it until you're absolutely certain you properly ran the uninstaller though.

To make sure, after running the uninstaller, power off the console completely and power back on. If it boots back into OFW then you're good. You can check whether you're in CFW or not by trying to run some kind of homebrew you install on the home menu. If it runs after a restart, then CBHC is still active and you shouldn't touch the app. If you instead get an error then you know CBHC has been safely uninstalled (because coldboot went into OFW), and you can remove DON'T TOUCH ME without worry.

xtab

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you ran CBHC uninstaller, then the DON'T TOUCH ME app can be safely removed. Don't remove it until you're absolutely certain you properly ran the uninstaller though.

To make sure, after running the uninstaller, power off the console completely and power back on. If it boots back into OFW then you're good. You can check whether you're in CFW or not by trying to run some kind of homebrew you install on the home menu. If it runs after a restart, then CBHC is still active and you shouldn't touch the app. If you instead get an error then you know CBHC has been safely uninstalled (because coldboot went into OFW), and you can remove DON'T TOUCH ME without worry.

Thanks for the awesome instructions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: lol +1