Should we consider the Switch being part of a "Half-gen"?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If we consider this :
Wii u/ps4/xbo = 2012/2013 = 8th gen
Switch = 2017 = ???
PS5/XBSXS = 2020 = 9th gen
Switch 2 = 2023/2024 = ???
PS6/NxXB = around 2026/2027 = 10th gen

Shall we consider the Switch as 8.5th gen and Switch 2 as 9.5th gen?

I just hate the fact that pretty much anywhere I look, everyone consider the Switch as a 8th gen console...
They say it's because of its hardware
What do you guys think?

flowlapache

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I agree with you, if wiiU was a success, switch would be there few years later...
Breath of the wild is the zelda of the wiiU initially!
years made "gen", not hardware. too long nintendo's consoles don't deal with the powerfull hardware

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is 1st gen in my book cause it's the first handheld EVER that I kinda like though not entirely:)

I do own a 3DS V1, but it's only cause stores never had one to test and I always wanted to see it's 3D working, barely used the console and have 2 original card games that I barely played, some crap Fifa and Resident Evil Revelations which I only ended recently on Switch though I also had it in my Xbox360 but never finished either...

If I was rich my next Switch would be this:
knbyq7gd4czhjtk9spgy.jpg
OneXPlayer_2_competidor_Steam_Deck_especificacoes.jpg

(but sadly it's still upcoming and it's basically OUTDATED already when there's a upcoming Ryzen 7000 based handheld + Discrete GPU like if the AMD one in the APU wasn't enough... :ph34r:):grog:

Those things put my I7 8700K with OC to misery :sad:

ps: If only Nintendo checks OneXplayer Website, I smell a few millions for making Nintendo Big Boss to cry (proper switch with true full joysticks "maybe" with hall Effect from factory, proper analog triggers and only a 8.4inch 2.5K OVERKILL resolution) :toot:

Last edited by guily6669,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch is 1st gen in my book cause it's the first handheld EVER that I kinda like though not entirely:)

I do own a 3DS V1, but it's only cause stores never had one to test and I always wanted to see it's 3D working, barely used the console and have 2 original card games that I barely played, some crap Fifa and Resident Evil Revelations which I only ended recently on Switch though I also had it in my Xbox360 but never finished either...

If I was rich my next Switch would be this:
knbyq7gd4czhjtk9spgy.jpg

(but sadly it's still upcoming and it's basically OUTDATED already when there's a upcoming Ryzen 7000 based handheld + Discrete GPU like if the AMD one in the APU wasn't enough... :ph34r:):grog:

Those things put my I7 8700K with OC to misery :sad:
https://vglegacy.com/platforms/

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If we consider this :
Wii u/ps4/xbo = 2012/2013 = 8th gen
Switch = 2017 = ???
PS5/XBSXS = 2020 = 9th gen
Switch 2 = 2023/2024 = ???
PS6/NxXB = around 2026/2027 = 10th gen

Shall we consider the Switch as 8.5th gen and Switch 2 as 9.5th gen?

I just hate the fact that pretty much anywhere I look, everyone consider the Switch as a 8th gen console...
They say it's because of its hardware
What do you guys think?
The eighth generation focus on further integration with other media and increased connectivity. Hardware improvements pushed for higher frame rates at up to 4k resolutions .

The ninth generations are console families that target 4k and 8k resolution televisions at high frame rates, support for real-time ray tracing rendering, and the use of high-performance solid-state drives (SSD) as internal high-speed memory to make delivering game content much faster than from reading from optical disc or standard hard drives.

That's why the switch is an 8th generation console.....it's not between the two generations (which would be total nonsense) and it only just meets the minimum requirements of the 8th generation

Reactions: r1vver

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Generations are defined by the consoles that are popular at the time. Classifying by power is stupid since there has been some wide variance during video game history (NEO GEO, Gameboy, Wii...).

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@xoINARIox
That doesn't make that much sense. How can there be two Nintendo consoles in the 8th generation and none in the 9th?
You should take a good look at the wikipedia entry..........just because Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft releases a new console doesn't mean it's a new generation of consoles.
The eighth generation focus on further integration with other media (Facebook, Twitter etc.) and increased connectivity while the ninth generation features stuff like 4K/8K, SSD and raytracing:wink:

ConabeGames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should take a good look at the wikipedia entry..........just because Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft releases a new console doesn't mean it's a new generation of consoles.
The eighth generation focus on further integration with other media (Facebook, Twitter etc.) and increased connectivity while the ninth generation features stuff like 4K/8K, SSD and raytracing:wink:
See below:
Generations are defined by the consoles that are popular at the time. Classifying by power is stupid since there has been some wide variance during video game history (NEO GEO, Gameboy, Wii...).

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
See below:
I think he meant the technologies inside the console
But it is indeed stupid to consider that since

Gen 5 :
PSX and others= 32 bit CPU
N64 = 64 bit CPU

Gen 7 :
Xb360/PS3 = HD
Wii = SD

There were many iterations like that in video game history where there were big difference of technology
I do consider Switch a gen 9 console

ConabeGames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gen 5 :
N64 = 64 bit CPU

Gen 7 :
Xb360/PS3 = HD
Wii = SD

There were many iterations like that in video game history where there were big difference of technology
Yep! I completely agree.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You hit the nail on the head

The idea that a x-gen console must meet y-requirements is stupid

The terms are made up anyway

The truth is it's just counting up by 1 based on new hardware releases

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

Gen 5 :
N64 = 64 bit CPU

Gen 7 :
Xb360/PS3 = HD
Wii = SD

you may consider anything you like, the market consider switch, along with 3DS and Wii U the 8th gen Nintendo consoles.

And its absolutely anything new on the video game world to see a manufacturer build many consoles on the same generation.

The fact that the switch is "hybrid" is not relevant either. A hybrid console is not the weirdest thing that landed on a mid to late generation, it is not even the Nintendo's weirdest thing that landed on a mid to late generation.

PS.: "Switch 2" is not a 2023 release and nothing concrete says that it is even a 2024 release, or a 9th gen console for that matter.

• Love
Reactions: xoINARIox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was maybe funny the third or fourth time companies did it +1