Show us your dongle!

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well I just completed the software for the Lilygo T-Dongle-S3-main.

What a fantasitic bit of kit. it's got 16M of flash so loads of space for all your payloads. Bluetooth and microd sd card slot as well as an addressable RGB led and a button and last but not least a TFT screen.

Here's some screenshots (sorry about the quality as my phone camera was having issues focusing because of the leds changing colours routine I programmed in).

Size Comparisson with sd card
XkrbSsu.png

Scrolling Text
CL7y425.png

Recovery Mode
fXmHDlQ.png

Display Images
dRytFAn.png

My Logo
2mf1nX7.png

Programmed as follows.
1: Boot logo displays for 10 seconds, then scrolling text screen shows some info such as MAC address and chip info.
2: Addressable led cycles through all it's colours in a nice light show.
3: When glitching commences and USB is activated, the usb flashes red and blue so you know.
4: On completion of glitch - usb drive goes into deep sleep, turns off the led and tft screen.
5: Button press activates emergency recovery mode, so all the default settings are restored.

No popups/button presses duing the glitch - just start the browser and it tells you when it's done (you know anyway as the lights/screen go off).

I'll post up the code on github when I get around to it, I just need to do some minor cleanups.

Last edited by mrdude,

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Cool stuff everyone!! I got a feather S2 with Kme auto and I 3d printed the case that was on the files

View attachment 388742
Good stuff, the 3d printed case looks good. I just ordered some Lolin s3 pro v1.0 boards to play about with for an led project which has slighly better specs. The feather s2 is a great board but expensive and a total overkill for a PS4 dongle. It's kind of like having a Ferrari when you can only drive in a 20MPH zone. Good job though.

ShadowMaya83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good stuff, the 3d printed case looks good. I just ordered some Lolin s3 pro v1.0 boards to play about with for an led project which has slighly better specs. The feather s2 is a great board but expensive and a total overkill for a PS4 dongle. It's kind of like having a Ferrari when you can only drive in a 20MPH zone. Good job though.
You are right about the feather S2. I just couldn't find one of those cheap pies so I got one of those instead

garbaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
The downside of the dongle is that not only it takes up one USB port of PS4, but it also degrades the lifespan of the USB port assuming you have to constantly pull it in and out. Obviously, the idea of a Dongle is that it stays in the PS4 without the need to unplug it, and that the exploit is provided automatically. However in case that the dongle fails, requires a hard restart, update it or you simply want to use the port for other means, you would still have to unplug and replug the dongle.

I suggest that it would be better to add a "buffer" to the USB such an USB 3.0 female to USB 3.0 male to maintain the health of the USB port (like the following picture).

1692265695883.png

I would have suggested a USB hub but from what I have seen they provide very limited support on the PS4 (external HDD and PSVR require direct connection, also the same for the exploit i think)

Reactions: DinohScene

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would have suggested a USB hub but from what I have seen they provide very limited support on the PS4 (external HDD and PSVR require direct connection, also the same for the exploit i think)
USB Hubs work perfectly on PS4 if you choose the right ones, (you can even mod it to fit an esp32 mini, or do an internal mod on the PS4).

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: mrdude

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
USB Hubs work perfectly on PS4 if you choose the right ones, (you can even mod to fit an esp32 mini, or do an internal mod).
I just use a cheap 4 port usb3 hub, it cost about £4 and I never need to unplug anything. When I want to install fpkg files I just plug a drive into the hub, no wear or tear on the PS4 at all. I just have a dongle plugged into the hub at all times as it shuts down as soon as goldhen or any other payload is injected.

Reactions: Maupiti

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just use a cheap 4 port usb3 hub, it cost about £4 and I never need to unplug anything. When I want to install fpkg files I just plug a drive into the hub, no wear or tear on the PS4 at all. I just have a dongle plugged into the hub at all times as it shuts down as soon as goldhen or any other payload is injected.
Same for me 😉

garbaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Ok! Thank you for the help. I will reconsider it. Maybe I tried the wrong USB hub because I tried to use an USB-C hub with an adapter to USB A

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I just completed the software for the Lilygo T-Dongle-S3-main.

What a fantasitic bit of kit. it's got 16M of flash so loads of space for all your payloads. Bluetooth and microd sd card slot as well as an addressable RGB led and a button and last but not least a TFT screen.

Here's some screenshots (sorry about the quality as my phone camera was having issues focusing because of the leds changing colours routine I programmed in).

Size Comparisson with sd card
XkrbSsu.png

Scrolling Text
CL7y425.png

Recovery Mode
fXmHDlQ.png

Display Images
dRytFAn.png

My Logo
2mf1nX7.png

Programmed as follows.
1: Boot logo displays for 10 seconds, then scrolling text screen shows some info such as MAC address and chip info.
2: Addressable led cycles through all it's colours in a nice light show.
3: When glitching commences and USB is activated, the usb flashes red and blue so you know.
4: On completion of glitch - usb drive goes into deep sleep, turns off the led and tft screen.
5: Button press activates emergency recovery mode, so all the default settings are restored.

No popups/button presses duing the glitch - just start the browser and it tells you when it's done (you know anyway as the lights/screen go off).

I'll post up the code on github when I get around to it, I just need to do some minor cleanups.
Good job!

Reactions: mrdude and Maupiti

garbaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Update: I was totally wrong, everything works under a usb c (with an adapter) dongle other than the extended storage.

PAYAMiN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
This is mine!

I am using ESP32-S2-WROOM which needs USB flash plugged in. So I used a small-sized USB flash, one USB to USB-C OTG (both ports on my board are Type-C), and another Type-C cable to connect to my PS4.

I packed all of them in one external HDD case (already removed the controller part from the top of the case), connected one LED to the board, and fixed it in the same place as HDD LED.

It looks like my other connected external HDD and am satisfied with the result :)

Attachments

• 2023-08-25 03.44.jpeg
    2023-08-25 03.44.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 2023-08-25 03.53.jpeg
    2023-08-25 03.53.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
This is mine!

I am using ESP32-S2-WROOM which needs USB flash plugged in. So I used a small-sized USB flash, one USB to USB-C OTG (both ports on my board are Type-C), and another Type-C cable to connect to my PS4.

I packed all of them in one external HDD case (already removed the controller part from the top of the case), connected one LED to the board, and fixed it in the same place as HDD LED.

It looks like my other connected external HDD and am satisfied with the result :)
I don't mean to knock your efforts, but with that esp32-s2 you don't need to use an external usb drive as you can emulate a drive and just mount an image file. The benefit of doing it that way is that you wouldn't have to have added the extra usb drive, it would have been cheaper + the disc image mounts much faster so you get a faster glitch. Since you already made that though it doesn't matter. But for other people that are using as esp32-s3 based chip there's no need for anything other that that chip based board alone,

PAYAMiN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I don't mean to knock your efforts, but with that esp32-s2 you don't need to use an external usb drive as you can emulate a drive and just mount an image file. The benefit of doing it that way is that you wouldn't have to have added the extra usb drive, it would have been cheaper + the disc image mounts much faster so you get a faster glitch. Since you already made that though it doesn't matter. But for other people that are using as esp32-s3 based chip there's no need for anything other that that chip based board alone,
Dear this board type (WROOM) needs to pulg USB drive, I already checked several articles and unfortunately it couldn't simulate image file itself.

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Dear this board type (WROOM) needs to pulg USB drive, I already checked several articles and unfortunately it couldn't simulate image file itself.
OK, dude if you say so, however I do know that chip can mount an image file. I have just received some ESP32-S3-WROOM-1 boards which I got today, I'll make software for them and see if I can send an image to the PS4, as they S3 and S2 both use near enough the same software it shouldn't be difficult and as these boards have the WROOM (same as yours), I'll see for myself and report back later on my findings.

EDIT:
I just modded the code I was using for my lcd based dongle for the ESP32-S3-WROOM-1 (Lolin S3 pro v1.0), and it works fine with just the board without any issue, infact it compiled first time and worked first time on the PS4 and sent the usb image file no problem. Glitching was very fast (under 3 seconds). Nothing needed soldered and no USB drives were attached.

@PAYAMiN, you have been given wrong advice, by other people - your board can send the image no problem, you just probably had arduino set up wrong when you uploaded the code. Or maybe you have a non working sketch.

Set it up like this:
info.png

Untitled.png

I'll upload my own code when I am finished with it, but it works just fine for now.

Last edited by mrdude,
Reactions: laz305 and Maupiti

PAYAMiN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
OK, dude if you say so, however I do know that chip can mount an image file. I have just received some ESP32-S3-WROOM-1 boards which I got today, I'll make software for them and see if I can send an image to the PS4, as they S3 and S2 both use near enough the same software it shouldn't be difficult and as these boards have the WROOM (same as yours), I'll see for myself and report back later on my findings.

EDIT:
I just modded the code I was using for my lcd based dongle for the ESP32-S3-WROOM-1 (Lolin S3 pro v1.0), and it works fine with just the board without any issue, infact it compiled first time and worked first time on the PS4 and sent the usb image file no problem. Glitching was very fast (under 3 seconds). Nothing needed soldered and no USB drives were attached.

@PAYAMiN, you have been given wrong advice, by other people - your board can send the image no problem, you just probably had arduino set up wrong when you uploaded the code. Or maybe you have a non working sketch.

Set it up like this:
info.png

Untitled.png

I'll upload my own code when I am finished with it, but it works just fine for now.
Thanks, pls share the code wirh me once be ready. I'll give it a try. Thank you dude.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...