*sigh* Virus protection help.

Twiffles

танковые победы
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes, I know how crappy norton is and well I activated it and now all of a sudden I have a influx of viruses and attacks. What anti virus and firewall should I get?
Avast + comodo?

CrEsPo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're looking for free software, Avast, AntiVir or AVG all work nicely. Provide you with good protection and are updated quickly.

For a firewall, Comodo and Online-Armor are the most recommended. I haven't tried Online-Armor, but I took a look at Comodo the other day and it seemed way to bloated compared to the older version I used.

Personally I'd recommend any free anti-virus with Outpost Pro as your firewall. Will cost money, but it's hands down the top firewall on the market.

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ESET SMART SECURITY (ESS) or NOD32
(same companies, ESS is a AIO, NOD32 is only AV)

NOD32 IS THE BEST! ENOUGH SAID! KASPERSKY IS BETTER BUT ACTIVATION/VALIDATION IS TOO ANNOYING

noisound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i remember this topic, but i see it doesnt get old
wink.gif

Best Anti-Virus/Internet security?, Recommend me one!
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79444&hl=

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
My PC was infected with virus (Virt... something dll).
It worked damn slow for bout a week.
I used Nod32(newest updated), no virus detected.
Than I used AVG free edition, no virus detected.
Zone Alarm security didnt detec anything aswell.
Hmm.. than I installed the 30 days trial version of AVG 8. AND TADA! 3 viruses and 8 HKML probs detected. PC works smooth.
So I bought the license.
PC Happy and ME happy.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive messed around with a few

my favorite would be Zone Alarm full security suite mainly because of the firewall

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm voting Avast.

But actually my advice is master the fine art of formating and reinstalling your OS.

I use a custom built Windows XP Pro Corporate edition with all the SPs and updates built into it and every driver known to man incorporated into an effortless install.

Takes me 30 minutes, and about every 6 months I basically wipe the system and couldn't really care less if it HAD anything bad on it. And it helps to keep the bloating of Windows down too.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If i were you i would go for Kaspersky Internet Security(the full version) because it is easy to use and picks up almost anything.

@All NOD32 Recommender's: I used to use NOD32 but it wouldn't even pick up the most obvious virus's so i decided to go with KIS

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.::5pYd3r::. said:
@All NOD32 Recommender's: I used to use NOD32 but it wouldn't even pick up the most obvious virus's so i decided to go with KIS
You were just unlucky then. Tested results show almost no difference in on-demand detection rates between the two.

In the proactive tests, which test how capable the scans are at picking up malware before its added to the vendor's database, nod32 completely destroys Kapersky's (and all others, with the exception of Avira) 40% with its 71% detection rate.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.html?...eiten/home.html

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
superrob said:
I would say AVG.
I never had a virus it didn't kill.
That's what YOU think.
I used it, and it sucked at detecting stuff, so I removed it. Tried nod32 for 30 days but didn't know about Nod32FiX at that time, so it was too late to apply it. Right now I don't have any antivirus on my laptop, but I know I don't have any viruses either.
I don't do stupid shit, so I don't get viruses (unless I for some reason have them on purpose).

NOD32 is great. I use it on my Vista PC.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
You were just unlucky then. Tested results show almost no difference in on-demand detection rates between the two.

In the proactive tests, which test how capable the scans are at picking up malware before its added to the vendor's database, nod32 completely destroys Kapersky's (and all others, with the exception of Avira) 40% with its 71% detection rate.

Maybe i'll try NOD32 again, but i can't be bothered switching now. If you have any tips just PM me.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:

Does it mean I was unlucky aswelll?
Nod32 as .::5pYd3r::. said, didnt detect anything...
Kaspersky did detect, but I didnt want to buy Kaspersky so I bought AVG and PC works smooth, had no prob so far, detects almost everything, protects me from entering bad sites(not parental control) etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...