Homebrew Since it seems that gPSP in RetroArch (and mgba is slow) is never going to be fixed...

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could somebody fix up the source code for CitrAGB (maybe improve the rendering a bit) and compile it for the latest firmware?

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt there's a soul out there with the free time to burn to code a significantly better, 3DS-optimised GBA emulator than what exists already. Not with GBA VC injection being a long established thing. It'd be like reinventing the wheel but with the wheel being hopelessly doomed to being worse than the original wheel in every conceivable way (apart from save states).

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt there's a soul out there with the free time to burn to code a significantly better, 3DS-optimised GBA emulator than what exists already. Not with GBA VC injection being a long established thing. It'd be like reinventing the wheel but with the wheel being hopelessly doomed to being worse than the original wheel in every conceivable way (apart from save states).
IDK, I disagree. Before retroarch went to shit and deleted the good builds, it was a lot better than VC. You got sleep mode in every game, better colors, better scaling, save states, and cheats. It was pretty good.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,
Reactions: DarthDub

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IDK, I disagree. Before retroarch went to shit and deleted the good builds, It was a lot better than VC. You got sleep mode in every game, better colors, better scaling, save states, and cheats. It was pretty good.

Yeah, it's a shame about what happened to Retroarch. I used to use the early builds too, gpsp in particular. It seemed to fall apart around late march 2016 and I think I stopped checking for fixes altogether later that summer.

Anyway - GBA VC injection is such a uniquely robust GBA solution that it probably discourages ongoing development of software emulation. I recall bubble2k16 pretty much citing this himself when responding to the many calls for him to devote time to fixing the GBA emulation issue.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's a shame about what happened to Retroarch. I used to use the early builds too, gpsp in particular. It seemed to fall apart around late march 2016 and I think I stopped checking for fixes altogether later that summer.

Anyway - GBA VC injection is such a uniquely robust GBA solution that it probably discourages ongoing development of software emulation. I recall bubble2k16 pretty much citing this himself when responding to the many calls for him to devote time to fixing the GBA emulation issue.
I mean that should tell him that there is a big demand for this.

D

Deleted User

I never really bothered with emulation when VC injection became a thing, but it's a bit of a hassle actually injecting GBA games so I can see why you'd want an improved emulator.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't gpsp's dynarec not crash constantly once upon a time? I figure that would be the easier thing to fix if someone actually wanted to get coding?

110Percent

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IDK, I disagree. Before retroarch went to shit and deleted the good builds, it was a lot better than VC. You got sleep mode in every game, better colors, better scaling, save states, and cheats. It was pretty good.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to RetroArch? I started using the 3DS builds around this time, so I'm curious as to what went on that caused them to delete their builds, especially if they were good.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind me asking, what happened to RetroArch? I started using the 3DS builds around this time, so I'm curious as to what went on that caused them to delete their builds, especially if they were good.
Basically, somewhere around 1.3.3 to 1.4.6 the builds were perfect. But then the guy who did the 3DS port stopped maintaining it and any core that used dynaric emulation started randomly crashing. It only got worse and worse too. Now it's been close to two years and still nobody at libretro has fixed the issues.

(And they deleted the old builds just to make space for the new builds.)

Didn't gpsp's dynarec not crash constantly once upon a time? I figure that would be the easier thing to fix if someone actually wanted to get coding?
Yeah, it used to have no screen tearing and it didn't crash. It was perfect. (Although the screen tearing is fixed again. GPSP still crashes though.) I wouldn't hold my breath for that. It's been two years.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

110Percent

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, somewhere around 1.3.3 to 1.4.6 the builds were perfect. But then the guy who did the 3DS port stopped maintaining it and any core that used dynaric emulation started randomly crashing. It only got worse and worse too. Now it's been close to two years and still nobody at libretro has fixed the issues.
(And they deleted the old builds just to make space for the new builds.)

Yikes, that sucks. Maybe we'll get a fix someday. Like you said, though, no point in holding our breaths.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: