since when the hell did we have swear word filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's going on with this world!?!

i can't say [censored] with out it being censored...

and the censored word is R A P E what is going on here!?!

the other cuss words are fine but... i don't understand why.

is there a reason behind this?

let me know i guess...

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the Blizzard forums? I used to play WoW and some of their items had "drape" which had obviously been censored because part of the word is the word discussed here.

Also, Statistically 9/10 of people enjoy gang [censored].

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon, who doesn't love a swear filter that lets cunt fuck shit through but not [censored] [censored] [censored].
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
You can type the words shit, fuck, bitch, bastard, damn, hell, ass, motherfucker, cocksucker, tits and more.
Vulpes is right, why the hell do you need to use that one word when there is a whole rainbow of profanity at your disposal yet to be soiled by xbox live?

And tbgtbg, I may or may not have been warned for using the word c*nt before. Not entirely sure, as the last time I was warned was for inciting a flame war. It's been over a year since I was last warned for profanity, so I'm not quite clear.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do agree with the filtering as I do agree that saying those words are unnecessary.

However, the one comment I will make about it: even if it is censored, most people will still have enough sense to figure out what is being censored in the first place.

"Hey man, (beep) you! (beep) you to hell you (beep)ing mother(beep)er!"

I doubt anyone would ever suggest that man might be saying "Hey man, shit you! Ass you to hell, you bitching mothershitter!"

Likewise, if someone happens to say "Man, we TOTALLY got so [censored] in that Halo round last night. Blue team [censored] us so hard", of course nobody will know what they mean. (I know that the past tense isnt censored, but I couldnt think of an applicable use for the verb by itself. Testament to why it's fine to be filtered.)

Edit - this just reminded me as I was about to close my browser how radiostations, when on the air will censor "Oh, (beep) damn it!" They won't censor "damn", but they'll censor "god". Very rarely do I ever hear that phrase come up on the air, but it HAS happened.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DrOctapu said:
And tbgtbg, I may or may not have been warned for using the word c*nt before. Not entirely sure, as the last time I was warned was for inciting a flame war. It's been over a year since I was last warned for profanity, so I'm not quite clear.

Okay, lets take a moment and clear that one up.
While I'm not a major proponent of the word "cunt", it was made clear to me that my dislike of the word is a cultural bias, and in other places it's considered to be no worse than the other words we've bandied about in this thread. So unless you're calling another 'temper a cunt, then you're in the clear.
You can thank Hadrian for this.

QUOTE(plasma dragon007 @ Sep 10 2011, 02:43 AM) even if it is censored, most people will still have enough sense to figure out what is being censored in the first place.

"Hey man, (beep) you! (beep) you to hell you (beep)ing mother(beep)er!"

I doubt anyone would ever suggest that man might be saying "Hey man, shit you! Ass you to hell, you bitching mothershitter!"

Likewise, if someone happens to say "Man, we TOTALLY got so [censored] in that Halo round last night. Blue team [censored] us so hard", of course nobody will know what they mean. (I know that the past tense isnt censored, but I couldnt think of an applicable use for the verb by itself. Testament to why it's fine to be filtered.)

Edit - this just reminded me as I was about to close my browser how radiostations, when on the air will censor "Oh, (beep) damn it!" They won't censor "damn", but they'll censor "god". Very rarely do I ever hear that phrase come up on the air, but it HAS happened.

Yes, I'll freely admit that you're correct. Most people can read between the lines.
We will almost always take context into consideration when dealing with any situation.
For example, if I see someone commenting something like:
"Fuck you! You're so damn stupid! I hope you get [censored] by a huge [censored] [censored] you piece of shit!"
I'm removing the entire post and immediately suspending them. I don't care if they actually typed out the word, or if they censored themselves;
The intent is there.
You can easily figure out what I might mean by these words, but it's not quite so apt to make people lose their cool.
Is our system perfect? Fuck no. Show me any system that is.
But it keeps things from quickly getting out of hand.

And I know precisely what you mean about the censoring of "goddamn".
I thought it might just be in my own area of the US Bible Belt where that was done, but perhaps not.
It makes no sense to me either.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Okay, lets take a moment and clear that one up.
While I'm not a major proponent of the word "cunt", it was made clear to me that my dislike of the word is a cultural bias, and in other places it's considered to be no worse than the other words we've bandied about in this thread. So unless you're calling another 'temper a cunt, then you're in the clear.
You can thank Hadrian for this.
And until about 100 years ago, it was still widely used as a non offensive term for the female genitalia.
Is it acceptable to call someone a funny cunt? Like a term of endearment? I know a whole lot of British people who do that- though as I am typing I realise that there are very few opportunities on this forum where a better terminology wouldn't present itself

I only wandered in here to see if this thread was still going, as it is I shall declare it full of argumentative censoreds and move along

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All sillyness aside, [censored] is not a word that should necessarily be censored in any manner. Not even the TV censors it, and if there's anything overly-censored out there, it's TV.

It doesn't take a swearword filter to keep the forums clean, it takes good moderating teams and a whole lot of warn-waves.

I don't need a computer to watch over my language - I have a mother for that. We're all adults, I believe. We know when to behave, if someone fails to realize which situations require a little Beep! for our amusement and in which it just isn't in good taste, then there's the door - simple as that.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand how a thread about censoring the word r*** would be such a hot topic.

I mean if you reallly needed to say it just say raped.

Same goes for other words.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually find the premise of this topic very interesting now. It's... rare... these days to find people with such differing opinions of something, even as simple a matter as this, having such a civil discussion about it.

Vulpes Abnocto said:
Yes, I'll freely admit that you're correct. Most people can read between the lines.
We will almost always take context into consideration when dealing with any situation.
"Fuck you! You're so damn stupid! I hope you get [censored] by a huge [censored] [censored] you piece of shit!"
I'm removing the entire post and immediately suspending them. I don't care if they actually typed out the word, or if they censored themselves;
The intent is there.
You can easily figure out what I might mean by these words, but it's not quite so apt to make people lose their cool.
Is our system perfect? Fuck no. Show me any system that is.
But it keeps things from quickly getting out of hand.

And yes, I agree that that would definitely be a necessary course of action against said member. I will say though, that was a good example that you used, because in that situation you can't necessarily determine what the censored words should have been. could have been r***, or the poster could have just been self censoring on words that wouldn't otherwise have been, such as "fucked" or "screwed". (On a related note, any idea if the "n" word (racial slur) is blocked? Not that that should ever show up in this forum, but I would still be interested to know.)

QUOTE(Vulpes Abnocto @ Sep 10 2011, 02:08 AM) And I know precisely what you mean about the censoring of "goddamn".
I thought it might just be in my own area of the US Bible Belt where that was done, but perhaps not.
It makes no sense to me either.

Ya know, it's funny because the first time I heard that I was in the car with my mom and younger brother, and she's the one who pointed it out. Oddly, I remember what intersection we were at when it came up. But seriously, not that "damn" is a terrible curse word, but I think if you're going to censor "god damn(it)", you either censor the entire thing or nothing at all. It's really stupid -.-

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
The intent is there.

i have to ask...does this applying only to words or are avatars considered also? I see a couple of currently used avatars that are fairly suggestive and could probably be censored also.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Feels like China in this thread.

I believe in free speech, that's what I like most about the internet.
This forum is already full of self righteous piracy police and grammar nazi, now it's gonna add censorship to the list

If someone use a word in an inappropriate manner, that person should be warn/suspended or what ever and the comment should be removed, isn't that what a moderator is for?

But what ever, your house your rules.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
well if you said this word you would be warned by a mod and get your warning level up..
the filter just makes you a little safer.
unless you are insuting someone heavily, which doesnt really have to do with the swearing..

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One slight flaw in the censor is that it censors the words snigger/sniggers/sniggered, etc., which is a type of laughter.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
One slight flaw in the censor is that it censors the words s[censored]/s[censored]s/s[censored]ed, etc., which is a type of laughter.
except that its snicker not s[censored] lol........ lololol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: These videos are soooo dry