Hacking Sister updated to 9.4 what to do?

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
You can either:

a) Wait for Gateway's 9.4 support

b) Get a Sky3DS flashcart

Option b) looks like your best bet to me personally.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why not try and get a 4.5 3DS XL instead? Those are the best and work OOTB.

I had the same exact situation where my sister updated my 4.5 sysnand to 6.1 because she wanted to play the retail Pokemon X cart and didn't realize you had to boot into classic mode. Luckily I made a backup of my sysNAND before the update, but it required me to do a NAND hardware mod to restore 9.2 (which I then updated 6.1 from) to 4.5 again. Now I have the classic 4.5 + 9.4 emunand setup.

4.5 really is the best FW. You can get a 4.5 console today and enjoy your Gateway with emunand + CIA support, or wait months until 9.2 is supported and then it might not even come with all the features. Plus, you'll STILL have to backup your 9.2 NAND in case someone updates your sysNAND in the future, and if they do, get your soldering iron ready.

Or you can buy a Sky3DS, but...nah.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah blame it on your sister :P
Just kidding...

I'm sorry to hear, thankfully 3DS flashcarts are a booming business, and you do have the SKY3DS alternative, but you won't be able to boot homebrew :/

Best you can do at the moment is wait, other flashcarts or even updates on current ones - GateWay or even Sky3ds (maybe) — are bound to happen.

Sky3ds is the only way at the moment to play (if you don´t mind the current homebrew, Region Free, possibly dead by the next FW update) but patience is a virtue... maybe investing on second hand games for the moment to enjoy your 3ds is a better idea IMHO.

You also always sell your 3DS and buy a new one with 4.1 - 4.5 FW or 9.0 - 9.2 but you will lose your eshop games (unless you transfer them to emunand)

Make sure your wifi is always off when you don't use it from now on so your sister won't mess with it

jaykureno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah blame it on your sister :P
Just kidding...

I'm sorry to hear, thankfully 3DS flashcarts are a booming business, and you do have the SKY3DS alternative, but you won't be able to boot homebrew :/

Best you can do at the moment is wait, other flashcarts or even updates on current ones - GateWay or even Sky3ds (maybe) — are bound to happen.

Sky3ds is the only way at the moment to play (if you don´t mind the current homebrew, Region Free, possibly dead by the next FW update) but patience is a virtue... maybe investing on second hand games for the moment to enjoy your 3ds is a better idea IMHO.

You also always sell your 3DS and buy a new one with 4.1 - 4.5 FW or 9.0 - 9.2 but you will lose your eshop games (unless you transfer them to emunand)

Make sure your wifi is always off when you don't use it from now on so your sister won't mess with it

I'm buying a groudon edition new 3ds. It was released before 9.3 so it will come with either 8.0 or 9.0.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another alternate strategy is to buy a used Sky is when GW 9.2 is released. There are a lot of people who have a Sky for now and will switch to GW and want to dump their Sky. A wild guess but I suspect $40 might be a good target for the used market price.

Make sure you fill up the wifi slots with dummy connections and then turn on parental controls to keep her from connecting in the future.

Chiejina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. sell your 3ds on Ebay.
2. Buy a unopened one on craigslist/ ebay/ store.
It won't have the latest firmware.
3. lock your 3ds when you're not using it.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm buying a groudon edition new 3ds. It was released before 9.3 so it will come with either 8.0 or 9.0.

I did the same unfortunately my new 3ds arrived after nintendo released 9.3 so i couldn't system transfer without updating both systems, so all my shop remains on my old 3ds.
my new 3ds came with 9.0.0 EU - playasia.com - took 6 days to arrive to portugal - beware of customs

athrun5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry to hear about your 3ds, but look on the bright side.

1, you can get another 3ds currently with firmware lower then 9.2 I think
2, you could have blocked its mac address on your router so even if your sister knew how to get its internet up and running you could make it impossible for her.
3, lesson learned, take extra steps next time because PEOPLE will SCREW YOU. Fact of life.

Final words, a Waterfall may fill the bellies of everyone all the time but for a thirsty traveler a few raindrops will do the job.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not try and get a 4.5 3DS XL instead? Those are the best and work OOTB.

I had the same exact situation where my sister updated my 4.5 sysnand to 6.1 because she wanted to play the retail Pokemon X cart and didn't realize you had to boot into classic mode. Luckily I made a backup of my sysNAND before the update, but it required me to do a NAND hardware mod to restore 9.2 (which I then updated 6.1 from) to 4.5 again. Now I have the classic 4.5 + 9.4 emunand setup.

4.5 really is the best FW. You can get a 4.5 console today and enjoy your Gateway with emunand + CIA support, or wait months until 9.2 is supported and then it might not even come with all the features. Plus, you'll STILL have to backup your 9.2 NAND in case someone updates your sysNAND in the future, and if they do, get your soldering iron ready.

Or you can buy a Sky3DS, but...nah.

I'm crossing my fingers that 9.2 is the next big firmware. I updated my 3DS a few months after Gateway came out (as in 1.0) because it just didn't appeal to me. One game, written to the SD card, and that's it. But now it's definitely appealing with all the crazy .cia stuff that's been going on and the bigger potential for homebrew. And of course being able to just have all the cartridges I buy as .cias instead. I'm actually going to do a NAND mod soon just so I can dump my 9.2 NAND and keep it forever.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
2JR6LWT.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users