SJWs are ruining everything we love

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what media has been ruined by 'SJWs?' I've heard this a lot and I've gotta be honest, I can't think of a thing which has been ruined. I've enjoyed the new Star Wars Movie though I still don't know how I feel about The Last Jedi.
I personally didn't enjoy any of the new Star Wars movies. Then again, I didn't even enjoy Return of the Jedi.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because comics have always brought up current or semicurrent (because lets be honest xmen was about 20 years too late with that) issues like that
first it was patriotism and allegiance to the nazis or the us, then it was russians and the us, then they ran out of wars and brought the nazis back and now they're moving on to social issues because those are the important things shaping todays and tomorrows world.
Captain America was depicted punching Hitler in the face multiple times during the thick of WWII. Superman from the start has been about showing how immigrants make America what it is. Wonder Woman has in numerous issues comforted women who were victims of abuse and circumstance by telling them they don't need to have powers to be as strong as she is. The version of Iron Man that the MCU version is based on quite literally has his origins in discovering how corrupt the US military is and how much they are negatively affecting the world.

So yeah, I get a little irritated when people say that politics are ruining comics and movies, because it's been the foundation of them since quite literally the beginning

Reactions: The Catboy

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've become increasingly disappointed and disgusted by the negative influence that social justice warriors have had on society. ...
From comic books, and movies to video games, they've left their toxic stench on everything.

This just in: most comic books, movies, and video games are pulp trash designed to appeal to the audience of today, even if that appeal is the [mock] outrage. Look no further than Blaxplotation flicks, 50s Sci-Fi, most Westerns, etc. Today it's yet another rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a comic book. Let Superman die (for good this time) already.

This isn't about SJWs or any of that shit, you are just upset that they changed a character in a manor that now effects how you relate to that character.

Nerd! Seriously, though, it's like hearing people argue over whether the manga, drama CD, or anime are the best adaption instead of anyone realizing the problem is you're consuming the same thing three times and arguing about it. :)

Ah yes, SJWs, leave it to the pandering and sycophantic behaviors of them to coerce certain media to adapt to their agenda, or get called out.

If it bleeds, it leads. Me? I don't watch Comic Book movies. I watched/read enough and have had my fill. Now, point me to something that's not DC/Marvel where the objective isn't to just reuse character X/Y/Z in yet another permutation for which I could actually feel some sort of outrage that they're mutilating or spindling the character in some fashion that I have any concern left about, and we can talk.

That's another thing that irks me, why do fictional characters have to have a certain orientation, or appearance, or anything tied to real attributes? The characters aren't even real people. Same goes with
characters in a video game, or novel. They're not even real, so why is it an issue?

People get upset about "naked" polygon boobs or "blood" polygons. Without anthropomorphizing--*cough*your avatar*cough*--people have a difficult time relating. Real people have a certain orientation (usually), appearance, etc. I think at some level people who spend more than just a passing time thinking about characters instinctively go "Fuck, Marry, or Kill"? There are exceptions--I don't think I've thought about those things with Mario, although I have killed him plenty of times--, but then I don't have any emotional or lasting attachment with Mario.

I guess that reduces the point to: if you want to have a character where you have no real emotional attachment to, you can do basically anything you want with them so long as you keep them recognizable by their attributes. So, if Nintendo had changed Mario's appearance substantially on his second/third outing, we'd all tolerate Mario as some tall blond in one game and some short Arabian in another. Instead, we're left to only accept him as a plumber, doctor, melee fighter, painter, etc.

PS - Seriously, the one thing I would definitely agree with is that without a consistent appearance, we wouldn't know who the character is. In the case of comic books, that's 90% the uniform.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of Marvel is ruined
Well, to be fair, they did do some stuff like this. So, Marvel did deserve some criticism.

y4R4pvu.jpg

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You keep saying that "SJWs" keep ruining your pop culture, well how about all the straight white evangelists in this country ruining pro-LGBT agendas in same said media? Tomodachi life anyone? or what about Poison? or how about the character Vivian,in the thousand year door which is described as a transgender male in the japanese translation, but a woman in the english translation. Can't argue one without the other. Just sayin'

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I literally stopped lurking and made an account just to tell you that Nick Fury has been black for nearly 17 years (August 2001). Starting with the Ultimate (Universe 1610) series of Marvel books. The artist designed his look on Samuel L. Jackson with the actors blessing. Seven years later Samuel L. Jackson debuted as the character in the post credits scene of Iron Man. The original, much smaller scale plan for the MCU was to do The Ultimate Avengers story lines, until they realized they could use the movies to basically print money. They didn't "change" anything because Ultimate Nick Fury has ALWAYS been black. When you complain about Miles Morales, you're again citing one of many series that take place in a different universe than both the main continuity and the movies. Thor is a woman. Thor is also a blonde alien. Thor is also an equine alien (Beta Ray Bill). Thor is also Groot. Thor is also ALL FOUR members of the Fantastic Four (Fantastic Thors). Thor is also a literal frog (Simon Walterson/Throg, Pet Avengers). You're outraged for the sake of being outraged. You are doing the exact thing you accuse SJWs of doing.

TL;DR: Find a safe space, snowflake.

Damn, you should stop lurking and post some more, we need people like you here.

I'll be honest, most of the time I don't care when they add or change ethnicity of characters or sexual orientation. My only concern is that this practice shows how narrow minded we can be. Why can't a black guy identify himself to a white hero or vice-versa? I'm hetero, black, and male, so I should identify only to male heterosexual African heroes? It's a bit sad to reduce people to a color and sexual preferences, I like to think people are a bit more complex than that...

Reactions: Old and dpad_5678
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Captain America was depicted punching Hitler in the face multiple times during the thick of WWII. Superman from the start has been about showing how immigrants make America what it is. Wonder Woman has in numerous issues comforted women who were victims of abuse and circumstance by telling them they don't need to have powers to be as strong as she is. The version of Iron Man that the MCU version is based on quite literally has his origins in discovering how corrupt the US military is and how much they are negatively affecting the world.

So yeah, I get a little irritated when people say that politics are ruining comics and movies, because it's been the foundation of them since quite literally the beginning
I don't know who's arguing about politics, but I get irritated when sexuality gets brought up about things that never had sexuality in them at all. Like Star Wars for instance, there is nothing there that is truly sexual. Same for Harry Potter. Granted, these things happen outside their respective universes, on social media mostly, but it still boggles the mind as to why it gets brought up at all. Makes much more sense for adult-oriented entertainment, where questions about if a certain character is struggling with discovering their sexual orientation are actually appropriate. Telling people Lando is sexually attracted to droids and other shit is just too far out there to even consider defending it at this point.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like Star Wars for instance, there is nothing there that is truly sexual.
I'm chortling lol there's no sexual undertones in Star Wars? First of all, something doesn't need to be inherently sexual to introduce sexuality (since one is an act while the other is an attraction), but secondly, Han/Leia/Luke in the original trilogy? Leia's "slave garb" in episode 5? Anakin and Padme in the second and third movies (as much as we try to forget that abysmal performance)? Literally anything ever implied by Lando as a character?...

Reactions: Old
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm chortling lol there's no sexual undertones in Star Wars? First of all, something doesn't need to be inherently sexual to introduce sexuality (since one is an act while the other is an attraction), but secondly, Han/Leia/Luke in the original trilogy? Leia's "slave garb" in episode 5? Anakin and Padme in the second and third movies (as much as we try to forget that abysmal performance)? Literally anything ever implied by Lando as a character?...
I think you know what I meant. There is a big difference between some romantic interest between characters (which, excluding the prequels, in the scope of the entire series is hardly ever the focus of the story) and something like Shameless that explores the facets of human sexuality, even getting into some transgender issues at one point. In all the movies there is a singular sexual act, and it's merely implied by Padme becoming pregnant. As for Lando's character: yes, he attempted to charm Leia a few times, but he wasn't trying to jerk off C-3PO or caresse Chewbacca's fur.

Reactions: DarthDub

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Do you really want them to give iron man his nips back? Some changes are for the greater good.
I like the Western Adaptation of Megaman. Because robots with muscles was a necessary change.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Never heard the word chortling before. It sounds disgusting. Like eggplant. Its a word i'll probably avoid using in the future.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, you should stop lurking and post some more, we need people like you here.

Truth! Save GBAT from devolving (further) into a '4chan'-like cesspool! Far too many gaming & pop culture communities have been being steadily poisoned/destroyed by a combination of ignorance, indoctrination (breitbart, Vladdy's trolls, alex jones, and other assorted cancerous filth), and abject fear -- fear of the 'scary others', fear of two guys screwing, fear of anything with a vagina, and fear of change.
When disdain and toxicity have become the norm, it's always nice to see at least a few forward thinkers willing to be on the right side of history.

Those that toss around the term 'SJW' do so out of personal insecurities, and are oftentimes easily discernible based on their cookie cutter traits: Typically white rural males, gun-worshipping, poorly educated, angry, racist, fearful of gay men (often repression-based), angry, intimidated by women, angry, ignorant of reality, easily manipulated by propaganda that fits their narrative, and angry. Avoidance is best in most cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo