granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[youtube]_zhr9CntRIE[/youtube]​
PS1 gamers will probably remember Spyro the Dragon. The originals were classic 3D platformers developed by Insomniac. The series has seen a wide variety of developers and has been on many platforms. In 2006, the series was rebooted from scratch with Legend of Spyro (which spanned 3 games). Legend of Spyro was rather unpopular. Now it looks like the series is being rebooted again, now with a new title- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. It's developed by Activision this time. Spyro himself is receiving a huge makeover in the reboot, as you can see from the screenshot above.

The new Spyro will be in an entirely new universe. Activision is enlisting the help of some Hollywood professionals for the new game as well. Tom Hester is handling character design (he designed the characters in the Shrek series. Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen are doing the screenwriting (both of whom worked on Toy Story). They've also got Hans Zimmer to compose the soundtrack (Inception and numerous other movies)

But the truly unusual and unique part of this is that Activision is also preparing a unique interactive toy franchise for this Spyro reboot. Not unusual to have a line of toys for a video game of course, but it gets more complex. They want to create a long line of action figures, which are designed from "over 30 characters from the game". Not just content with simple toys though, they contain some sort of augmented reality for interacting with the game-

"When the game is running, players can put an action figure on a plastic "portal" or stand and watch the toys appear on their TV, and the toy becomes a moving character in the game for the player to control."

Apparently, there will be a lot of different playable characters, 31 is the current cited amount. They all have different abilities and moves. Spyro is said to have fire breath and horn charging, just like his classic incarnations. There will be a $70 starter pack which includes the video game, three toys, portal and trading cards. It is unsure whether there will be a cheaper more traditional packaging for the game for those who don't wish to get into the marketing spin they're trying to weave (but probably so).

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is releasing sometime in fall 2011. No specific date or gaming platform has been announced yet. Though one may assume 3DS at least is possible, with the augmented reality support. It may be multiplatform. Though it's all speculation at the moment regardless. The game is said to be formally announced at next week's International Toy Fair in New York (Feb 14-17). So you can expect some more information and media by then. Hopefully this will breath new life into the Spyro series and bring back some of the charm and fun of the originals. [/p]
Official PR-
Activision to Unveil Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure? – A Breakthrough New Play Experience That Merges the World of Toys and Video Games – At the 2011 American International Toy Fair

Innovative New Game Lets You ‘Bring Your Toys to Life’
Company Announces Global Marketing Partnership with Toys ‘R’ Us

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Feb. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today the worldwide debut of Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure, an entertainment breakthrough for the toy and video game industries. Through an innovative use of technology, the game allows players to transport real-world toys into virtual worlds of adventure through the “Portal of Power™.” These “toys with brains” can come to life inside the game in connection with multiple gaming platforms, as well as on handheld gaming devices, mobile devices and on the web, remembering achievements and level-ups wherever they go. This marks a wholesale change in the interaction between toys and video games, opening up new possibilities and revenue streams for both industries.

“These are more than action figures. They are inter-action figures,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. “By pairing world class character design, world class video game design and world class story telling into one entertainment experience, we’ve given players a whole new genre that bridges the gap between the real and virtual worlds. From the first time a kid picked up a stick and pretended it was a sword, toys have unlocked kids’ imaginations. And how often have you wanted to bring those toys to life, to see them become animated and take them on an adventure? Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure does just that.”

This new interactive experience will make its worldwide debut and be available for demos at the American International Toy Fair (Booth #3055), which takes place February 13 — 16 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City.

Activision brought its gaming expertise together with top Hollywood creative talent to bring Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure to life. The game and technology was developed by Activision’s Novato, California studio, Toys for Bob, led by creative director and studio head, Paul Reiche. The adventure driven story was penned by two of the Academy Award nominated writers of the original Toy Story movie, Alek Sokolow and Joel Cohen. The result is a line of highly collectible characters, an engaging story, and an immersive interactive entertainment experience.

There are many unique and innovative elements to this experience, including:

Each Character Has its Own Unique Powers — In addition to the highly collectible design and personalities of the toys themselves, each character has different powers and abilities, opening different experiences inside the game. Players can drop in and out of each level with as many different characters as they like, making each players experience unique.
Toys With Brains — Each toy/character remembers the player’s shared experiences. Achievements and leveled up capabilities earned in the game are embedded inside the toy and travel with the toy. Wherever the toy goes, its experiences go with it.
Portal of Power — The Portal of Power serves as the gateway between our world and the amazing world of the characters in Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure.
Play With Friends — By placing two characters on the Portal of Power at once, players can team up together for cooperative play, or face off in player versus player battle arenas utilizing their leveled up characters.
Diverse Experiences on Diverse Devices — While the toys can be used with gaming consoles to play the disc based game, completely different gaming experiences await them on the mobile app and inside the Web World, each of which were designed specifically for those platforms. The result is a remarkable number of different gaming experiences in one game.

To support the launch of the game, Toys “R” Us will join forces with Activision for a global marketing partnership in which stores across the globe will feature several Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure exclusives this fall.

“We began discussing this concept with Activision and immediately knew merging the world of toys and video games together in Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure would capture the imagination of a wide range of consumers, including kids, toy collectors and video game enthusiasts,” said Jerry Storch, Chairman and CEO, Toys”R”Us, Inc. “We believe this product line is among the most exciting and unique offerings that will be seen at Toy Fair this year, and we are excited to partner with Activision to bring Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure to Toys”R”Us stores this fall.”

Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure lets kids take on the role of a powerful Portal Master, who can control over 30 different characters, including the beloved purple dragon Spyro. Each of these heroes is a protector of an amazing, mysterious world, but they have been ejected from their world by the sinister Portal Master known as Kaos and now they are frozen in our world as toys. Only the players of Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure can get them back into their world, by embarking on a fantastical journey where they will explore mythical lands, battle menacing, outlandish creatures, collect treasures, and solve challenging puzzles as a part of the quest to save their world.

Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure is developed by Toys For Bob, an Activision studio located in Novato, California. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information, visit www.skylandersgame.com
icon11.gif
Source

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, all these new Spyro games will never be the same Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon were definitely the best. Still love to play those games on my old PS1 once in a while.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spyro: Now with purple measles, sharper claws, and vampire fangs. "BLEH! I VANT TO SUCK YOUR VALLET FOR CHEAP TOYS WITH A TINY CHIP INSIDE THAT UNLOCKS A CHARACTER!"

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not discounting a return to form for Spyro. What bothers me the most is the corporate whoring they're putting on the toy line. They intend to milk this stuff for all its worth. And they seem inclined to focus on the toy aspect, i sincerely hope the game doesn't suffer as a result of them focusing too much on the toys and not enough on the game...

More complete version of the new picture can be seen here (i had to crop the picture to fit in my top post without looking messy)-
http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/02...pyrox-large.jpg

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
It's funny: Just as I decide to play through the first three games again for the hell of it, they go and announce a reboot.

... I'm really not feeling Spyro's new look though. At all.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I'm not discounting a return to form for Spyro. What bothers me the most is the corporate whoring they're putting on the toy line. They intend to milk this stuff for all its worth. And they seem inclined to focus on the toy aspect, i sincerely hope the game doesn't suffer as a result of them focusing too much on the toys and not enough on the game...

Well, I think that they're going to be pretty lenient for the "differences" between characters and end up spending most of their time on the toys.

As far as the game's Chars goes:

Hey! There's Blue The Blue dragon! He breathes blue fire because he's blue!

Hey! There's Girl the Girl dragon! She breathes pink fire because she's a girl!

...also, they'll probly just be palette swaps of spyro or a generic dragon model.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have to say, i'm kind of digging the new art style. I know i'll get a lot of hate from people, but damn it i like it! There has been a good few new screens posted here now, please go check them out, they're actually quite lovely-
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/60599/

Heck, they remind me of Mario Galaxy a little. Lovely colorful platformer-
skylanders_spyro_adventure-2.jpg

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
granville said:
I do have to say, i'm kind of digging the new art style. I know i'll get a lot of hate from people, but damn it i like it! There has been a good few new screens posted here now, please go check them out, they're actually quite lovely-

skylanders_spyro_adventure-2.jpg
Yeah, it looks a bit like SMG, but nowhere near as good as it. It looks much closer to Jett Rocket.
I wonder what platform those screenshots are?

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:

skylanders_spyro_adventure-9.jpg

They DO look nice, but some parts of it look a little blocky to be on the powerful consoles (PS3, 360) So perhaps these screenshots are from a wii or 3DS version.

...if it IS gonna be multiplatform, though, I wonder how the toys will plug into every version of the game? Maybe they'l have six different input jacks under a zipper on their bellies
tongue.gif
or each game will come with some kind of toy converter.

...now that I think about it, too, the toy thing could be ingenious AP. Maybe you can't even start the game as spyro without a spyro toy that comes with it plugged in...it could be a little like the feelies in old infocom text games or the stuff that came with some early lucasarts PC adventure games....though I doubt they'll use it that way.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to make a wild assumption here and maybe think they've got it running under some kind of multiplatform engine where they can port it to pretty much any system. The art style looks like it's designed to work with a lot of different systems and types of power. It could look great on Wii, but good enough when the resolution is upped for PS3/360.

And yes Spyro has wings in this game-
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/wp-conte...dventure-12.jpg

I encourage all of you to go look at the screens i posted above. I'm pretty open minded about the art style and i'm really liking it so far. Sure it's different, but whatever.

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, hes got wing...but he doesnt look like spyro should...he looks like a Gremlin, a purple one with wings...i dont think ill like this but ill give it a shot when it comes out

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The enemies and scenery looks brilliant. Why then did they make spyro look like a little angry piranha with wings?
Swear on insomniac, if activision fucks this I'm gonna rip off their testicles. :|
Doubt it will live up to year of the dragon at all though.

The augmented reality thing makes it sound like 3DS exclusive. I doubt PC will get it and most people don't own a camera for wii, 360 and ps3.
-1 point for ruining spyro model, hopefully it will change...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not developed by Insomniac, Activision is doing it. Insomniac hasn't developed a Spyro game since Year of the Dragon i believe. Ever since, the series has received a lot of different developers.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
This is not developed by Insomniac, Activision is doing it. Insomniac hasn't developed a Spyro game since Year of the Dragon i believe. Ever since, the series has received a lot of different developers.
I know I'm saying that insomniac are the gods of spyro, and if activision fucks it up I will remove their male genitalia.
EDIT: Shame it's not insomniac though
frown.gif
theirs was the last good spyro.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first trailer has been released, added it to the top post. Along with an official PR. Shows a little of the action figure thing, seems they will have some sort of docking station for the action figures to "plug into". I would figure the docking stations either plug into the systems themselves, or are wireless or something that interact with the console and game itself. I'm reminded a bit of those E-reader cards for the GBA. If this is multiplatform, i'm not sure how they'll deal with the action figure plugin system on ALL platforms.

I love the art style and can see potential here. My biggest concern is that Activision will just develop the action figure aspect and not focus on the gameplay. There's a lot of risk for corporate whoring here. We'll see. I'm keeping an open mind here though.
rolleyes.gif

VentusVanitas

Trophies
XP
Country
Spyro's new look makes me want to puke.

I hate this stupid toy idea.

Honestly, I was hoping for Spyro's Kingdom.

This is bull. Spyro's dead to me. I wanted a Spyro reboot (second one), but this is ridiculous.

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arp1 said:
Man, all these new Spyro games will never be the same Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon were definitely the best. Still love to play those games on my old PS1 once in a while.

Word. Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon are still two of my favorite games of all time. I stopped following the series after A Hero's Tail because I didn't like the way it was heading. RIP Spyro the Dragon. ;~;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kinda feeling like that remix of the perfect cell theme