ROM Hack Smash3DS - Updated ROM Hacking Guide

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try loading the hand.bch model? I think it was one of those models or something that you needed to load first for Ohana 3DS to actually work with smash. If you can't find the .bch file, Here's one:
Yes I did, It crashed when importing. Even though I just started using a fork of Ohana3DS Rebirth that fixed the texture importing issue... So I no longer need Ohana3DS...

Alex119098

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I did, It crashed when importing. Even though I just started using a fork of Ohana3DS Rebirth that fixed the texture importing issue... So I no longer need Ohana3DS...
Hmm... did you accidentally move any .dll files that came with it? (I don't have the forked version, so I'm not sure)

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... did you accidentally move any .dll files that came with it? (I don't have the forked version, so I'm not sure)
Rebirth works fine, it's just the original version of Ohana 3DS that doesn't work. Even though the fork of Rebirth that I use correctly imports textures (unlike GDKChan's,) so I don't really have a need for the Original Ohana 3DS. Thanks for trying though!

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extracting files for modding v2 (the rough draft) People please read through and make sure there is nothing odd. It does use godmode9 because I like to abuse features which are useful. This eliminates the issues of having half decrypted fileas as well (something that happened early on iirc).

What you need:
GodMode9: This is written for GodMode9, idk if it'll be the same for SafeMode9.
An SD Card with at least 2gb of space (I don't want to get a real number). If you are using a cartridge, you will need enough space to dump it as a cia (about 1.1gb more).
This pack once again: to extract files from dtls, same as in the OP.
A way to read files on your SD Card (I really hope that you have this because wireless will be a pain in the ass).
If you only have a cartridge copy of the game, you will need decrypt9 or hourglass9 (this is part of the holy guide).

Step 0: Dump your cartridge to a cia. (only do this if you do not have a digital copy of the game installed) (go to 2a)
In HG9, it is Gamecart Dumper > Dump to CIA.
In D9, it is Gamecart Dumper Options > Dump Cart to CIA.
Step 1: Setup GodMode9 as a payload by putting the GodMode9.bin in /luma/payloads and rename it to up_GodMode9.bin, down_GodMode9.bin left_GodMode9.bin or right_GodMode9.bin (whichever you prefer or isn't currently assigned), put your SD card back into your ds and hold that button on the d-pad on boot. You should now see a green bar at the top called [root] and some other information on controls.
Step 2: Go down to SYSNAND SD and go to Title > 00040000 > and the titleid low for your region
000EDF00 for US
000EE000 for Eur
000B8B00 for JP
Step 2a: (only for those who dumped their cart to cia) Go to SDCARD > files9 > 00004000(tidlow from above) > CIA image options > Mount image to drive (skip to step 4)
Step 3: Go to content > 00000000.app and select NCCH image options... Mount image to drive. This should take you to a new screen that contains the exefs and romfs folder as well as other files.
Step 4: Select the romfs folder and press l on sound, dt, and ls. This will mark files for you to copy. (you do not need anything else as you aren't able to really edit them anyways)
Step 5: Hold R and press Right on the d-pad to go to a new pane and go to SDCARD > files9. Once you are there, hold R and press Y to make a new folder. You can go through the pain of renaming it, or give it a 1 to signify that it is the base files.
Step 6: Hold R and press L to get back to the first window. Press B until you get to the Title folder (the one with 00040000 and a couple other ones) and click 0004000e > titleidlow for your region (same as above).
Step 7: Select 00000017.app (may be different for other regions, just select the one that is larger than 5mb (hint: its like 300mb+)) and mount it again. Go to romfs and press l on dt ls and sound (if you want it). Hold R and press right to go to the window in files9 and make another directory by holding R and pressing Y. Name it something else (press right until you add a character works)
Step 8: Shutdown by pressing power or whatever it says on the top, and put your sd card in your PC. Put the base game dtls (the first one) inside /smash 3ds pack (the thing you downloaded earlier with the tools)/Obtaining Files/DTLS and put the update dtls inside /smash 3ds pack/DTLS Update/
Step 9: Shift + right click in the DTLS folder and type "dtls dt ls" this should extract every file into an outdir folder. Once that is done, move it where you wish.
Step 10: Shift + right click in the DTLS Update folder and type "python dtls.py dt ls outdir" this should extract every update file into outdir (note: there is no indication of this happening besides spam refreshing the outdir folder or watching the task manager).
Step 11: move the outdir folders to somewhere nice, merge if you want to (i personally am against this because old files have some use, but you likely won't need to be concerned).
Nice guide :)

Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i edited jam1garner's easy CSS editor to be used with the CSS for the 3ds, although it can only move character slots im still working on figuring out the other things

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgs5z6cbryo6yfp/CSS Editor v1.3.2.pyw?dl=0

EDIT: found out yesterday that adding costume slots does work cause they're the same value. with this being said everything probably works

Last edited by masterspike52,

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help me with this. I'm stuck at this point.
Open the newly-created folder with the extracted data of the original game. Copy the files from 'DTLS' directly inside this folder. Hold shift and right click, and open the command prompt. Paste the following inside the prompt:
DTLS.exe dt ls

Yeah. I got the DecryptedRomFS_ and ExtractedRomFS. Am I suppose to paste the files from ExtractedRomFS to the DecryptedRomFS?
If so, I tried but DTLS doesn't work. I opened it and it directly closed like it was nothing. Yes. DTLS is in CMD.
I tried paste DTLS on each folders but it doesn't work. I also tried move dt and ls to DTLS but it doesn't work either.
What did I do wrong?

I installed the latest version of Python.

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! You should make a thread for it so everyone can see.
i think ill do that actually

Yeah. I got the DecryptedRomFS_ and ExtractedRomFS. Am I suppose to paste the files from ExtractedRomFS to the DecryptedRomFS?
If so, I tried but DTLS doesn't work. I opened it and it directly closed like it was nothing. Yes. DTLS is in CMD.
I tried paste DTLS on each folders but it doesn't work. I also tried move dt and ls to DTLS but it doesn't work either.
What did I do wrong?

its cause you have to do it from command prompt by shift + right click then choosing open command window in directory then in the command window for the first dt ls files do dtls dt ls <--exactly like this. for the update dt ls open then command prompt with the dtls.py file and do dtls.py dt ls outdir <----exactly like this

lgnmcrules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Python script, there are many errors pertaining to the update of Python that has been out for ages. Is there a script that is updated for the latest release? I have attempted to rewrite some of the code that is causing issues inside of the dtls.py, but my knowledge is limited.

I could only fix the cScriptIO redirection to io ScriptIO and the basic syntax errors.

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Python script, there are many errors pertaining to the update of Python that has been out for ages. Is there a script that is updated for the latest release? I have attempted to rewrite some of the code that is causing issues inside of the dtls.py, but my knowledge is limited.

I could only fix the cScriptIO redirection to io ScriptIO and the basic syntax errors.
wot, just use 2.7 thats what all of us have and it works

Reactions: Halvorsen

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there going to be a tutorial for importing your own models using the MBN creation tools (e.g. replace Mario model with the Melee model)?

Kerpumples

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people having issues with getting update files for use...
1.1.6 dt md5: 6a83b5eb9aa631efea743c9e04ba5206
1.1.6 ls md5: 7f8eaec8801bdfaf2d7ad2bf69f4e39b
I downloaded the cia using ciangel, and did a deep decryption with the latest build of decrypt9.
Use the update dtls.py from "This Pack" in the OP.
The only known things that are missing are msc files.

EDIT: I found out what to do, i'm quite dumb.

When i did a deep decrypt of the 1.1.6 update cia gotten from CIAngel, i got these files and i don't know what to do with them. Do you think you would be able to help me?

5F6BDD40_configsave.bin
5F6BDD40_LocalFriendCodeSeed_B
5F6BDD40_movable.sed
5F6BDD40_SecureInfo_A

Last edited by Kerpumples,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I found out what to do, i'm quite dumb.

When i did a deep decrypt of the 1.1.6 update cia gotten from CIAngel, i got these files and i don't know what to do with them. Do you think you would be able to help me?

5F6BDD40_configsave.bin
5F6BDD40_LocalFriendCodeSeed_B
5F6BDD40_movable.sed
5F6BDD40_SecureInfo_A
Those are console unique files from Decrypt9. Just use GodMode9 to mount the cia and extract the files that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ