Hardware SNES-Inspired WiiU Controller

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who cares if it "looks" like the 360 one or not - what matters is that the analog stick/button placement is crap.

They had the perfect controller design in the past - it was called the Gamecube controller. Rather than using a tried-and-true layout, Nintendo chose the path of copy-catting the design and swapping placement to an inconvenient one to avoid lawsuits.

Reactions: 3 people

suppow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares if it "looks" like the 360 one or not - what matters is that the analog stick/button placement is crap?

They had the perfect controller design in the past - it was called the Gamecube controller. Rather than using a tried-and-true layout, Nintendo chose the path of copy-catting the design and swapping placement to an inconvenient one to avoid lawsuits.

this

without all the silly turbo buttons stuff

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My first thought was "I'd hit it!".

But on second look...why the hell are there two select and start buttons on that thing? They're not exactly widely used, so those on top could easily be removed. No idea why that power off button is floating around by itself either (it wasn't a great location in the original pro controller...now it's entirely in the wrong spot).

Oh, and yes...that right analog stick...no. Just...no.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My first thought was "I'd hit it!".

But on second look...why the hell are there two select and start buttons on that thing? They're not exactly widely used, so those on top could easily be removed. No idea why that power off button is floating around by itself either (it wasn't a great location in the original pro controller...now it's entirely in the wrong spot).

Oh, and yes...that right analog stick...no. Just...no.

I guess those SNES start+select are printed on the controller self.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
What copyright infringement? Nintendo used all those controller features way before Microsoft ever did. The traditional D-pad, analog sticks, the standard diamond shaped ABXY layout, handles, shoulder buttons, wireless and rumble. Most of which Nintendo actually was the very first to implement in a controller.

That said, it is heavily inspired by the 360 controller without a doubt, but it's no like if Microsoft could do anything about it, none of this stuff is patented really.
I'm personally can't say if I prefer the GC layout or this one for the sticks and I won't comment on it until I've actually played at least one shooter and one traditional platformer with one.

Also yes it has clickable thumbsticks.

no need to lecture me on nintendo controllers :P
i meant on the 360 controller design, not so much the features, which is what i guess they can pull copyright on, since these people patent almost everything,
i really dont know, i'm just guessing, since i dont see a strong reason why nintendo would choose to deliberately place the thumbsticks there, other than that.

edit: grammar

I doubt this is actually real, seeing as that right thumbstick looks like it be terrible to use in practice. Also, I wanna take a moment to remind you that Nintendo did have the A, B, X, Y configuration before Microsoft, and I'm pretty sure Sony pioneered dual analog, though I could be wrong.

In short, Microsoft didn't really pioneer a damn thing on their 360 controller.

did you actually read my post?

Read, yes. Understood, not so much :/

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hmm, found this old concept image today
how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg

It looks even less like the SNES controller.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Who cares if it "looks" like the 360 one or not - what matters is that the analog stick/button placement is crap.

They had the perfect controller design in the past - it was called the Gamecube controller.
>Successor to the Classic Controller Pro
>Not having the d-pad aligned with the face buttons
Yeah, nah

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd try it if every single Nintendo 3rd party controller I bought before didn't have absurdly terrible buttons and joysticks.

Reactions: 2 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It get's even worse when it has to include more technical stuff like motion sensors.
I just have one 3rd part Wiimote and it looks almost EXACTLY like a Ninty original but the pointer precision is horrible and the motion sensors are bad enough that whoever uses it for something like Just Dance always gets the lowest score. The Motion+ brick won't QUITE latch on to it right either.

You definitely get what you pay for, unfortunately.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

They had the perfect controller design in the past - it was called the Gamecube controller.
>Successor to the Classic Controller Pro
>Not having the d-pad aligned with the face buttons
Yeah, nah
Y'know what? Even that would be better than having the right analog stick in the most inconvenient place of them all.

suppow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who can tell it's shopped? It's a mockup made in an image editor, they likely don't even have anything from production to show.

it's a concept and third party, if i'm not mistaken, usually most of those images are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: @BakerMan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ