Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

NAKEDCOWBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a 3DS homebrew, it won't work on your R4 card, which is presumably a DS flashcard for DS roms and homebrew.

If you want to use 3DS homebrew on your 3DS, you need to use the Homebrew Launcher.
http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Or better yet, set up a custom firmware so you can install homebrew to the Home Menu, and much more.
http://3ds.guide/

Oh, thank you. I have other emulators installed on the card, thought it worked the same way. Thank you!

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wondering but has anyone found a way to make Yoshi's Island run as close to full speed as possible in pretty much every area? If not, any chance it might get a step closer to full speed in the next version of SNES9x? On another side note, has anyone here tried the joystick hack of Yoshi's Safari? I tried it once on the computer but it didn't work that well for me.

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering but has anyone found a way to make Yoshi's Island run as close to full speed as possible in pretty much every area? If not, any chance it might get a step closer to full speed in the next version of SNES9x? On another side note, has anyone here tried the joystick hack of Yoshi's Safari? I tried it once on the computer but it didn't work that well for me.
It already runs pretty much fine if you're on a N3DS. Don't hold out much hope if you're on O3DS, though.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting weird crashes when trying to load *.chx cheat files with the CIA version. I turned on Luma3DS' ErrDisp function and got an ARM11 dump file if that would be useful. I'm on a new3DS with a 32GB SD card and I can provide the (names and versions) of the ROMs I'm using as well as their *.chx files.

I'm getting these crashes on the American version Super Mario World and any hacks of said game.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
anyone else have issues with the breath of fire games ?

What is the problem you are facing?

I've been getting weird crashes when trying to load *.chx cheat files with the CIA version. I turned on Luma3DS' ErrDisp function and got an ARM11 dump file if that would be useful. I'm on a new3DS with a 32GB SD card and I can provide the (names and versions) of the ROMs I'm using as well as their *.chx files.

I'm getting these crashes on the American version Super Mario World and any hacks of said game.

Can you send me your CHX file? It only crashes with the CIA version?

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the CIA version, haven't used the 3dsx version after getting my CFW set up. I'll send it later when I have some more time.

frobinson54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. See below.

Well, I've been tinkering with the latest version of FCEUX (NES emulator) last few weeks.

But I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. My progress's been really really slow, doing small little things at a day. I've got the bottom screen UI ported over from SNES9x for old 3DS, minus all the cheats, savestates, sounds, keypad inputs. The previous effort refactoring the SNES9x emulator helped a little. Now it can actually boot games (no sound yet) but rather slowly at 45+ fps on an old 3DS (simple mappers).

Rendering is still totally software-based. The rendering loop is simply spending too much time copying and transforming the NES 8-bit paletted framebuffer to the 32-bit 3DS RGB framebuffer (almost 30% of the time!). Spending a bit of time trying to optimize this.

From what I've learnt reading codes thus far, the complex mappers can be fairly computationally intensive. But that remains to be seen... I haven't tried booting into those at all.

I know it will take time, but if you can get a NES emulator running even close to as well as your port of Snes9x runs on my N3DS, my system will be complete! I've been really missing a high quality NES emulator on my system! Keep up the good work, and we look forward to hearing about your progress. :-)

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
"Not Available / Problematic:
3. Resume from sleep mode"

But Sleep mode works for me. Or doesn't it actually go to sleep mode?

Hmm... some users reported problems with freezing and sound problems.

have a one chance of have a online wireless function for multiplayer games?

Hmm... no plans for now.

I know it will take time, but if you can get a NES emulator running even close to as well as your port of Snes9x runs on my N3DS, my system will be complete! I've been really missing a high quality NES emulator on my system! Keep up the good work, and we look forward to hearing about your progress. :-)

Been working on it. Previously I was working on the FCEUX core, but I switched the core to VirtuaNES. FCE seemed a little too slow to optimize for the Old 3DS/2DS.

VirtuaNES was already quite well optimised with support for a good library of mappers.

But I still had to trade off some accuracy for better speed for a small handful of games.

Ekitzbot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because these aren't accurate emulations. They might appear to run almost identically to their original counterparts, but they kind of don't in a lot of cases. Nintendo has always favored accurate emulation, which this doesn't give.

Ive talked to some devs before, its mostly a matter of Nintendo not giving a crap about porting many games. :P So they make excuses, such as: No split dual plug in for controllers(for roms or otherwise)/ No plug in for HDMI cable to the tv screen(they could make a plug in even now, but they dunt care) They released the switch way too early before its problems could be ironed out and on and on.. : p

Effef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If I have a New 3DS, should I use this, Retroarch or the official VC emulator as my main way to play Snes games? I've yet to try this, but Retroarch either misses some effect (PocketSnes) or has some frame drop here and there (CatSfc)

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I have a New 3DS, should I use this, Retroarch or the official VC emulator as my main way to play Snes games? I've yet to try this, but Retroarch either misses some effect (PocketSnes) or has some frame drop here and there (CatSfc)
Yes, you should use this over RetroArch's SNES cores. It's the best SNES emulator for the 3DS, new and old. If you find you like this emulator you should check out bubble2k16's NES emulator called VirtuaNES, it was just released. I recommend that over RetroArch's NES cores as well.

avocado

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the developers involved in this awesome emulation!

I found that if I put the 3D slider in the middle, it gives us even more brightness.
I am just telling.
It might drain the battery though.

Once again, thanks for all the developers.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ive talked to some devs before, its mostly a matter of Nintendo not giving a crap about porting many games. :P So they make excuses, such as: No split dual plug in for controllers(for roms or otherwise)/ No plug in for HDMI cable to the tv screen(they could make a plug in even now, but they dunt care) They released the switch way too early before its problems could be ironed out and on and on.. : p

I'm inclined to think that there's much less money to be earned with emulated games that 1st party, new, licensed games. $5 a game on the eShop is meagre. Multiply that by even smaller group of die hard fans.

Since there's less to be earned, Big N will have less resources to spend on emulating old games. Doesn't make business sense to 'perfect' their emulator at all. And I would know: emulators are hard to perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1