Homebrew So I Heard some N64 games can run on the 3ds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chizurd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N64 on my TV stand currently, I have some pretty decent games for it, just kinda hoped and wished that maybe some Programming Nerd Wizard made an emulator for the 3ds. My 3ds lives in my bathroom, I play it during mean poop sessions haha

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Because I swear, some of these programmers should get letters to Hogwarts.

Reactions: EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We have somewhat decent PSX emulation on the 3DS, so you can hope we get a somewhat decent N64 emulator eventually. (I have beaten Heart of Darkness on my 3DS about a year ago).

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can play versions of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64, Rayman 2: the Great Escape, Diddy Kong Racing and Super Mario 64. As far as I can recall though that's it, none of them are being emulated but are rather 3DS (and two DS) remakes/ports.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation means having to convert on the fly code for a different CPU, this obviously comes with a performance penalty
Besides, in a game console there's not only a CPU, but also a sound generator, a video generator, chips in the controllers to pack the data of 10 buttons in 2 wires, plus depending on the game add a mapper or even a full coprocessor... which all must operate in sync

Emulation isn't just running a game. It's running pretend hardware as well.

Think about the difference between you telling a story and having a latex model of the human mouth and throat do it. You have to make it tell the story using only your two hands and blowing up the wind pipe, recreating all the tiniest muscle movements in the throat, tongue, and cheeks with only your two hands to make all those complex sounds. You'd be lucky if you even got a single vowel sound out of it let alone a whole story, and definitely nothing like what a real human would sound like. This is sort of what it is like emulating versus running software made for the system.

Thank you! Now I understand!

Chakratos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My advice is hope the Switch gets hacked because it might have the power to run a N64 emulator decent. But my view on N64 emulation on any system has been bleh, which is why I own a real N64. =)

Why wait for the switch if the wii u already can play 90% of n64 games at full Speed?
Switch sucks with his shitty deluxe titles and handheld feeling..

Reactions: Quantumcat

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rayman 3D can technically be considered an N64 port.

Not really it is a PC port in all ways....graphic are the same as PC you can check video on youtube that compare all Rayman the great escape version !

Back to the OP i think n64 can be made if someone convert an old build of PJ64 it could work because if i remember my old Pentium 2 could run n64 perfectly without a advanced gpu (dont remember but it was built in) it was crap it could run runescape and all n64 game with no problem even conker bad fur day....the new 3ds have 4 cpu and a not that bad gpu (forget o3ds it wont work) we need some old build and port them or rewrite them to make them work on new 3ds theoretically it should work at 70% ! the problem is the developer no one want to do that it would take at least 1 full years of test and failure even the screen could help make n64 run good...
The facts is n3ds is enough to run n64 are someone willing to work on the project maybe someday but for now the best bet is waiting for the next handled!

JUSPOZA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reverse engineering a n64 game to play on the 3ds I would think is possible WITH the software and hardware used to make the n64 games in the first place.

D

Deleted User

Its possible that an N64 emulator capable of running some very simple homebrew apps will be released someday. If you actually want to play N64 games on your 3DS then apart from the titles already mentioned above you're out of luck. Use a laptop if you want to play N64 games on a portable system.

Reactions: Quantumcat

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There could be a proof of concept N64 emu on the 3DS.
It probably would't boot much but Hello World.

If you want a N64 emu, a phone or laptop or pc would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol