So.... I think my moms credit card and my brother's phone got hacked. (Need Help)

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently, my moms transaction history shows transactions of many unauthorized purchase from Google, Nintendo, Sony, and Youngjoy. After a few hours pondering what those purchases were, (since I have not made any game related purchases with my moms card and did not know what youngjoy was) I figured they were mostly from apps except for sony. After finding out youngjoy was the company of my brothers app game "mobile legends" I asked him to check his google transaction history, and there they were, multiple records for youngjoys "mobile legends" diamonds and Nintendo's "Fire Emblem Heroes" orbs. I have been playing with my brother fire emblem heroes with him and I would have noticed the orb spike of more than 500 orbs even if periodically and he doesn't even have any many good characters to show for it (no offense if you are reading). I know he didn't buy any of those transactions but my mom doesn't and she doesn't trust us anymore. I then remembered about the Equifax leak that happened September and am figuring that it might be that. I have heard that in order to check you need to visit their website but that has had some controversies as well. Can someone give me some help on what I should do.

For anyone wondering it seems that all these transactions have been for currency for "Mobile Legends", "Fire Emblem Heroes", and "Warframe" in my playstation. Other than warframe, there is no sign of the currency in the other games and warframe was the reason we found out, and he just told me that in that he had a used rare weapon in inventory that is hard to get in game unless traded by using currency. And no, mom doesn't believe that it was not us who used her card.

Last edited by keven3477,

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bet it's your brother using your moms credit card, he's already gotten to you, I wonder who's next!
I doubt it, he is not the type to waste more than 10 dollars on currency, and like I said there has been no sign of currency increased except in warframe, and he just told me that in that he also had a used rare weapon that is hard to get in game unless by using currency.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the Equifax hack tied more along the lines to credit scores and social security numbers? I'm unsure they keep records of your exact credit card number, CVC, and expiration date, all which is needed to make a purchase. This sounds like someone in your family decided to buy a crapton of stuff, or had someone use their phone for a bit, and got massively trolled.

D

Deleted User

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the Equifax hack tied more along the lines to credit scores and social security numbers? I'm unsure they keep records of your exact credit card number, CVC, and expiration date, all which is needed to make a purchase. This sounds like someone in your family decided to buy a crapton of stuff, or had someone use their phone for a bit, and got massively trolled.
They actually don't keep copy of your CC, that's correct.
OP, your brother might be using your cc. As much as you believe him, he might be lying.
I have my friend which secretly been loading money off his mother account for in-game goods [It's pretty easy to do in PSN since you can link credit card to account] for games like Paladins and other. He never got caught for it.
Either steal his phone and aggressively look through his files or just see his PS Store settings.

Reactions: felix.200

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If they get your full SSN they can probably retrieve a lot of the rest of the info from elsewhere, not necessarily the case here of course.

For anyone who's curious, you basically have to assume your info was taken in the Equifax hack if you've ever had a credit card, or gotten a loan, or ever had your credit checked. Their website returns random results if you try to check for a breach on your SSN. They were also hacked again recently, and their website was redirecting to a fake Flash update which was of course a virus or spyware or something. You can either join in the class-action lawsuit and have a 100% chance of getting a small amount of money (~$1000), or sue in small claims court and have a ~75% chance to receive the max settlement for your state ($5000 in my state). You don't need a lawyer for this, and the lawyers in the class-action suit are taking a large percentage.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was searching on YouTube on information on Equifax and apparently people can get a lot of information from that like transaction records and be able to do identity theft. However I have not confirmed its Equifax yet.

Skip to 3:03 for Equifax info

They actually don't keep copy of your CC, that's correct.
OP, your brother might be using your cc. As much as you believe him, he might be lying.
I have my friend which secretly been loading money off his mother account for in-game goods [It's pretty easy to do in PSN since you can link credit card to account] for games like Paladins and other. He never got caught for it.
Either steal his phone and aggressively look through his files or just see his PS Store settings.
Trust me it wasn't him, of course I checked his phone and there is no sign of any currency or in game purchases in game. Not unless he wasted them quickly and then trashed the rewards, he tells me every time he summons In heroes and he does show me when he gets something impressive. Plus the warframe stuff was in my account that he uses, we only have psn as free trial in his account but that's all the transactions there.

Reactions: Deleted User

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Your brother doing it is the only thing that makes sense. Why would hackers/thieves spend money on things like that? One of the transactions being for an obscure mobile game you both play is definitive proof in my mind. It's either you, or your brother.

Edit:

I asked him to check his google transaction history

I missed that bit the first time. So these transactions are for a game your brother plays and are from your brothers google account. How could it possibly be someone else? If hackers got your CC information they'd be able to use it anywhere, for anything. They wouldn't use it on useless shit like that. And they certainly wouldn't do it on someone else's account. If they have your bros google account login and he had the CC saved then yes that could happen. But it doesn't explain the other purchases. The only logical outcome is that your brother did it.

In cases like this it's easy to look to farfetched theories of how it happened. But usually it'll be close to home. I'd run virus/malware scans and such on every device you own just to be safe. But if they got the details like that you'd see a lot more transactions for more valuable things, and a lot more of your stuff would be breached. Check your bros email/google login history too. If he was hacked then foreign IPs will show up. If not he wasn't hacked.

Last edited by dimmidice,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's your brother.
No one "hacked" his phone, or that card and then magically spent money on all of the games your brother plays.
It's pretty blindingly obvious. Your mom SHOULDN'T trust him. That's correct. Why he had her CC in the first place is a baffling lapse of judgement given most younger people have no grasp of money.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I love it when people use the word "hack" as some kind of catch all phrase. No it wasn't hacked it was your little brother. The fact that your mom doesn't believe it was him shows that she is way to trusting. All the evidence points to him.

Think about it why would a "hacker" only spend money on games that he happens to play?

Anyways she needs to call the CC company and get a new card with a new number and hide it!

Last edited by CallmeBerto,
D

Deleted-355425

Why would hackers go through all that trouble to buy in game currency items to just leave the rare items in your bothers account?

Get in touch with the games staff and ask for the IP from the account when these purchaes were made... I bet it’s your own IP address lololol.

Last edited by ,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
extremly likely it's your brother..
i would also check cousins, daddy (however daddys usually got stuff like poker or other shit that they enjoy) or friends of brother..
your brother might had showed something to your cousins\friends or even tried to be cool to his friends and buy stuff for them...

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
extremly likely it's your brother..
i would also check cousins, daddy (however daddys usually got stuff like poker or other shit that they enjoy) or friends of brother..
your brother might had showed something to your cousins\friends or even tried to be cool to his friends and buy stuff for them...
That's a thought. Though i don't think you can buy stuff for other people in mobile games and have it show up on your transactions. But i could be very mistaken here.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as it sounds like its my brother, I really don't think so (unless I am lying to cover for him). Of course I checked his phone and games as soon that I found the transactions came from there and there really isn't any evidence of purchases inside the games. He doesn't really protect his phone from his family since I know his password and he sometimes asks me to use it for him to level up characters, so I would have noticed any irregular increases in the currency or characters.

My original theory was that someone used something to spoof purchases from google as app transactions using the information that my mom plays those games under my brothers e-mail. When we both checked his E-mail, apparently the E-mail was named after my mom as the owner and had wrong but close city information. I have also noticed there are some people with same issue within the previous months via google. Can someone tell if spoofing transactions is actually possible.

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set up a test. tell your mom get a new cc and give the details to your brother. if more transactions show up, boom you have proof. if not, than it might not have been your brother

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь