Hardware So is all switch games running more than 2 players gonna be at 30FPS?

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I would have to quote every statement for each company that halted particular ports like ea, stardock, etc. You can just as easily Google games that won't be released.
Please tell us of these ports
Also there are articles saying Stardock said Switch doesn't need Third Party Support to succeed, I don't think they ever started any Switch ports
No mention of underpowered hardware

Reactions: felix.200

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Please tell us of these ports
Also there are articles saying Stardock said Switch doesn't need Third Party Support to succeed, I don't think they ever started any Switch ports
No mention of underpowered hardware
Here's one article I remember off the top of my head. I'd hunt more down but unfortunately I'm at work.

https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/switch-underpowered-third-party-support/amp/

Really it's common sense though. Any port of a high demand game would dissolve before you could water it down enough to run on a tablet..

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Here's one article I remember off the top of my head. I'd hunt more down but unfortunately I'm at work.

https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/switch-underpowered-third-party-support/amp/

Really it's common sense though. Any port of a high demand game would dissolve before you could water it down enough to run on a tablet..
There are some games that would suffer to look good because of their Graphical Style, and that's a very realistic art style
Of course something with a realistic art style like Titanfall 2 is going to look Garbage on a Nintendo Switch, It's not meant for that

Creating something designed around the specs of the Switch is what they should be doing
If you look here at the specs
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/console-specs-compared-xbox-one-x-ps4-pro-switch-a/1100-6443665/
They really aren't that far off from the Xbox One (Also comparing an x86 CPU from 2011-2012 to an ARM CPU from 2015 is pretty lol worthy especially if the CPU from 2011-2012 is AMD)

Last edited by Shubshub,
Reactions: WeedZ

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the switch has the same success through it's lifespan as it's had recently, big developer's like ea will eventually break down and make stuff for the switch. Whatever they do make will be pretty watered down, but that's the trade off of portability. Everyone who thinks that battlefront II or assassin's creed is gonna be able to run on the switch is an idiot. Also third party support so far is better than I expected, indies seem to like the switch and even fifa (even though it's watered down apparently) is coming to the switch. So far an improvement over the Wii u. Besides, most people who buy the switch are buying it for Nintendo's first party games and having a pretty good portable (Taken over as my main portable over vita). also, this whole conversation has gotten really off topic.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are some games that would suffer to look good because of their Graphical Style, and that's a very realistic art style
Of course something with a realistic art style like Titanfall 2 is going to look Garbage on a Nintendo Switch, It's not meant for that

Creating something designed around the specs of the Switch is what they should be doing
If you look here at the specs
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/console-specs-compared-xbox-one-x-ps4-pro-switch-a/1100-6443665/
They really aren't that far off from the Xbox One (Also comparing an x86 CPU from 2011-2012 to an ARM CPU from 2015 is pretty lol worthy especially if the CPU from 2011-2012 is AMD)
But that's what I'm saying. The best you're going to get is what the switch can do. Xbone and ps4 have their exclusives, but not because one machine can't handle the software of the other. It's going to be like the wii. Take silent Hill for example. Ps3 and xb360 got homecoming and downpour. The wii got shattered memories which was a psp port if I recall correctly. If all you care about is Mario and Zelda then great. But your not going to get anything more then that.

If the switch has the same success through it's lifespan as it's had recently, big developer's like ea will eventually break down and make stuff for the switch. Whatever they do make will be pretty watered down, but that's the trade off of portability. Everyone who thinks that battlefront II or assassin's creed is gonna be able to run on the switch is an idiot. Also third party support so far is better than I expected, indies seem to like the switch and even fifa (even though it's watered down apparently) is coming to the switch. So far an improvement over the Wii u. Besides, most people who buy the switch are buying it for Nintendo's first party games and having a pretty good portable (Taken over as my main portable over vita). also, this whole conversation has gotten really off topic.
That's really my point, but I see it as a bad thing, and I feel in time others will too. The portability is a novelty, like wiimotes and touchscreens. Eventually the novelty wears off.

Reactions: rileysrjay

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
But that's what I'm saying. The best you're going to get is what the switch can do. Xbone and ps4 have their exclusives, but not because one machine can't handle the software of the other. It's going to be like the wii. Take silent Hill for example. Ps3 and xb360 got homecoming and downpour. The wii got shattered memories which was a psp port if I recall correctly. If all you care about is Mario and Zelda then great. But your not going to get anything more then that.

That's really my point, but I see it as a bad thing, and I feel in time others will too. The portability is a novelty, like wiimotes and touchscreens. Eventually the novelty wears off.
Okay, on the topic of Wii
The Wii was in fact hands down incredibly underpowered vs the PS3 or the 360
But also the PS3 and 360 themselves are pretty underpowered because of when they came out
So the ability to play a game that looks way better on slightly higher specs isnt going to be possible on something like the Wii

The Switch is vastly more powerful than the Wii
And the PS4/X1 are more Powerful than the Switch
As a developer its almost as simple as turning down the graphics to get a game running
And fine tuning optimizations and reducing particle effects

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Personally I don't think the portability is going to be a novelty. Portability is the whole selling point. A lot of people don't really have time to sit down on the couch and play uncharted 4 on the ps4 and don't like playing crappy games on their smartphone but want to be able to play traditional games. Plus a lot of people have been wanting a decent portable (the Vita could've been amazing but Sony blew that and the 3ds was meh as far as hardware) for a while now, and the switch seems to fill that void. Time will tell though.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far it seem like multiplayer modes that have 4 split screens at the same time will run 30FPS. If smash bros is ported to the switch and had 8 player mode, I wonder if that will not be added? I mean is better than wii u so i doubt it would be the case, but so far I don't like what I am seeing.

It may not bug some people considering they would just bring their own switch to a switch game night or whatever, but if everyone had to play one system like a family, it might be a problem.

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don't really think Sm4sh players would forgive Nintendo if Ninty is going to drop player's frame accuracy on purpose so maybe Switch Smash title is going to work at 60fps even with 8 players

EDIT: What? Who changed my profile country to Yugoslavia? Not that I have anything against Yugoslavia but this is rather suspicious

Last edited by Elveman,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah 60fps is over rated. I played some games at 60 and some at 30. It does look more fluid at 60 but i dont see any lost at 30.
So to me its not a big deal.
And i think that right now everything on the switch will be 30 until devs have had some time with it to get there coding down pack.
Just look at the over systems. There still games that arent in 60fps @1080.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah 60fps is over rated. I played some games at 60 and some at 30. It does look more fluid at 60 but i dont see any lost at 30.
So to me its not a big deal.
And i think that right now everything on the switch will be 30 until devs have had some time with it to get there coding down pack.
Just look at the over systems. There still games that arent in 60fps @1080.
Depends on the game, ones with heavy precise input commands like fighting games and action games, is important to have higher framerate. It helps to reduce lag between button inputs which help with frame timing of specific commands in various games. Especially if the game is very slow that your inputs are null due to not registering within the timing of the games processing.

Basically if you play a game like fighting games, you will want better framerate, while a game like some rpg, final fantasy 7 or mostly turn base non strict timing of inputs are required. Is probably the reason why most games on ps3/xbox 360 was not at 1080P but 720P to keep framerate from being a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection