Gaming So... Nintendo Wii was released 12 Years ago.

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I always thought that the system was released first in Japan, but I looked and so it happens that it really was released first on North America on this very day, 12 years ago. Goddamn, time flies.

I still remember Iwata announcing the Virtual Console, the buzz on E3 and how people flipped with Metroid Prime 3 and Galaxy...
And how people ran like mad to try it.

Mine has been always plugged since I bought it back in 2010, and I've been using it regularly... In fact it's probably the home console I've used the most, which is a wild claim, now that I think about it, but between what it had to offer officially and homebrew, makes sense.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Wii, may you keep getting Just Dance until the end of time!

tenor.gif

D

Deleted User

I remember the day the Wii came out in Europe here.

Couldn't get one in all of my local game and toy stores. But 1 hadn't opened yet.

So me, mom and dad waited in the car to see if it would open. Then some other people showed up and went and stood at the door. So I went and did the same.

About an hour in the freezing ass cold, a queue of about 30 people had shown up. And about another 15 minutes after that, a store worker shown up. Announced to the crowd that they only had 4 units to sell. Fucking 4.

Well there was the 3 fellas infront of me, then me, then this kid with his family.

So me and the 3 fella's go into the store. Got our units, and were in the queue. As we're all paying for the units, we realised that 1 guy was only accompanying the other 2, and wasn't getting one. Immedeietely, we all went over and pointed out the kid, who was crying, upset that he wasn't getting a Wii.

Well fuck, I've never seen a kids face light up like that in my life. Advised him to pick up TLoZ: Twilight Princess and Red Steel.

Good, happy memory. I wonder if he ever liked those games sometimes. I sure hope so.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii was the most important console in my childhood, even if it wasn't the best of all imo.
It had Virtual Console, I was able to play my GC games on it, there have been a few channels that were pretty cool these days for a kid and then there have been all the Wii games that are still damn good looking today (except for the resolution). And the choice of controllers have been huge on some games, which I love until today.

Sadly, the Wii didn't aged that well for me. The WiiMote isn't really great to hold, my purchased VC games haven't been used for years, and the Homebrew scene is pretty much dead because we have nearly everything we can imagine. Also, to be honest, the resolution sometimes is disapointing for a console produced in 2006. But there are still more than enough reasons to play some games from time to time. It was a great time for gamers and most games like SSBB have aged pretty good imo. And mods like CTGP-R are able to show you a new side of some games so they aren't getting "too old". The missing online mode also isn't any problem thabks to Wiimmfi.

All in all, I still love the console. Even if I mainly use my Wii U for the most Wii games. It is still fun to use it today.

Reactions: Mylink5

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The missing online mode also isn't any problem thabks to Wiimmfi.

Is it really that good? Wiimmfi, I mean. I have yet to install it since I'm not playing any Wii games that would be online right now. I'm guessing it's predominantly Mario Kart and Smash? What else?

I remember when they came out on stage and announced the new console was called, "Wii." There had been so much hype, headset fantasies and Iwata's gonna drop the bomb, etc., and then .... Wii. The next hour was about the funniest time I ever spent on the internet.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wiimmfi is even better than the original servers at some points. Of course, not everything is implemented, but it is very agradable to use. Try it if you want.

Last edited by Naendow,
Reactions: Hanafuda

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm... memories.
I just got my first DS and we collected a lot of money for our first actual console. The first console I shared with my siblings was (unironicly) a v-Tech Smile.
Then, my mom came home with a Nintendo Wii. Unfortunatly, we really only used it to play disc-based games. We never touched the Wii Shop, the News or Weather Channel, not even the Photo Channel, but we did went online for Mario Kart Wii, and that was for me a blast for 4 years (until it shut down).

Many years later... This thing still deserves a second life, so I installed the Homebrew Channel, like any normal person :).

And hey, it still works!

Reactions: Hanafuda

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I can give a similar story, but I was only (very) few years old around 2006-2007. So I didn't have any experience with the Wii until sometime around the early 2010s?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Though, I do have great memories playing MKW and Brawl online. I think I remember getting max (9999) VR on MKW. ANd also, my main controller was sideways Wiimote/Wii Wheel.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't buy one until 2 years later, and even still, they were hard to get ahold of. I had to settle on a used one from gamestop, but I wound up saving FIFTY DOLLARS that way, and it worked just fine. Still does, I assume, but since getting a Wii u i've barely bothered to boot it up.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My memories of the Wii... well, same story as with many others - couldn't get one at launch because, y'know, Nintendo supply and demand bullshit... managed to import one from Germany (for some reason Germany seemed to be the only country in Europe that wasn't utterly sold out for weeks solid)... enjoyed it for a short while before the gamer in me came to terms with the early library just being the whole waggle gimmick for casuals... became disillusioned with console gaming as a whole, and jumped into pc gaming for a few years (aside from a few weeks of Mario Kart Wii and Tatsunoko vs Capcom addiction)... barely touched a console again until I got the X360 a couple of years later, and thankfully realised that console gaming still had a future despite Nintendos best, subversive, efforts.

Seriously though... now that we can look back at the Wii's reign, it was a truly impressive thing that Nintendo accomplished with that little box; there are some absolutely classic titles for it (among the almost console defining shovelware shite)... like it or loathe it, the tech innovation was an industry changer.
I probably use my Wii more now than I ever did when it was the hot new thing (or more accurately, vWii on my Wii U).

There was a lot of lessons that should have been learned from the Wii's biggest successes - it's just a shame that the competition thought that the Wii's biggest successes were solely due to the motion controls, rather than it's online store, backwards compatibility, and diverse library of exclusive titles.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The unique controls were a big part of it. But the actual star wasn't waving/tilting but pointing.
I am retrospectively trying to enjoy as many titles as possible that used the pointer (even extremely low budget titles).

ofthriceandmen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get mine until the spring after launch for my birthday. It the first time I didn't have to pay for my own console (saving up for both a GC and a GBA when you're a kid is difficult to make yourself do.)

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was one of those standing in line on launch day. I've never done that for any other console. Not sure why the one I did was the Wii lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!