So sales are down for Nintendo, are they?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I know Ninty reps lurk here, so it's time to rant)

I see games like the Imagine games, the recent iCarly and various other shovelware (which seem to make up AT LEAST 80% of the DS library) as the reason the 3DS isn't doing so well. Many "true gamers" (that is, the hardcore/mainstream gamer and Ninty fans, not causal gamers) figure the 3DS library will just be full of 3D versions of the same shovelware games we've been getting on the DS/DSi. Sure, there will be SOME good games, but more and more people all the time are realizing the shovelware-to-decent-game ratio will still be outrageously sad on the 3DS. Sad enough to make people think twice before slapping down any cash on another Ninty shovelware-infested system anyway.

People can get all the casual/shovelware games they can stand for a buck on their cell phones now, they don't need to pay $20-$50 for it anymore. When you make a system that is ONLY for gaming, it has to have EPIC games on it, not $1 cell phone games for $20-$50. Anyone with half-a-brain isn't going to waste money like that.

I'm sure there are many people with the feeling, "I won't be fooled again" and the 3DS is suffering because of shovelware continuing to get released on a massive scale. Just because we Temper's know the difference between a DS, a DSi and 3DS doesn't mean everyone does. All most people see is shelves full of shovelware-after-kiddie-game-after-remake being made for Ninty systems and it's starting to bite Ninty in the ass, regardless of what Ninty system any particular game is on.

Now, I'm sure there are some 8-year-old kids who like games like iCarly, Imagine: Baby Diapers or some of the other shovelware tripe that constantly gets released, but the majority of gamers are NOT 8-year-old kids. Certainly, shovelware, remakes, casual games and RPG's can't carry a system alone, as Ninty HAS to be discovering. Just look at their recent sales figures. The smattering of other genres that get released that ARE good games are too far and few between. Ninty needs to even up those ratios if they hope to regain any brand loyalty because they are rapidly losing fans. Oh, the fans are still there, but they are waiting for some GOOD games to be released, not this shovelware tripe and endless remakes we keep seeing released.

Yes, I know Ninty themselves didn't make iCarly or Imagine: or most of the other shovelware games, but they ARE responsible for what gets approved for release on their systems. They need to rethink their approval methodology for games because it's starting to fail them and recent sales figures are reflecting that, not to mention emerging markets where shovelware/casual games are now $1 on a cell phone. Games like those on a pure gaming system for $20-$50 aren't helping their image, or their sales figures because "true gamers" aren't falling for it anymore.

Ninty did well to tap into the non-gamer market and make gamers out of people who previously balked at games, like Grandma and Grandpa. But previous non-gamer and casual gamers sucked in by their casual games eventually stop being non-gamers or casual gamers any longer and want more immersive games as their gamer mentality matures. Little kids grow up and start wanting more than shovelware and kiddie games. Nintendo has to grow with the new gamers they've created, not just keep trying to suck more in with the same games that are now just old-hat. After 7 years of collecting the non-gamers, the well has run dry. Time to get back to making REAL games now, mmkay? Casual games aren't really profitable anymore, the cell phone market has taken that over, and they're doing it cheaper too.

You can spout that "family friendly" mantra until you're blue in the face, but money talks and BS walks. Well Ninty, people are starting to call BS and are walking. Time to grow up and feed the ravenous crowd of new gamers you've created that are no longer non/casual/kiddie gamers, as well as your long-time fans who are starting to feel ignored.

What'cha gonna do Nintendo?

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I would say you're correct on the Mobile Casual market part, but remember that most small kids don't have cells that are Android or Apple: they have Nintendo's. Hence, why the shit-barrage of games is shifted to Nintendo.

What's Nintendo supposed to do about this? Go tell kids to get cells? LOL.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scan it and seen the same things I usually see from you. They are lot if good games idk what you are talking about.
Other words you allowing shovelware to over case good games.

Because once again it barely miss their exceptions. Not only that sell are starting to pick up even
more.

Nothing because they already got everything set and ready.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Scan it and I call bias. They are lot if good games idk what you are talking about.

Because once again it barely miss their exceptions. Not only that sell are starting to pick up even
more.

Yeah, if you like RPG's then sure, there are plenty of good games, but if you don't, and shovelware doesn't do it for you, then not so much.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
KingVamp said:

They should have everything ready and done.
Not 3DS owners waiting for what it looks like it might be a year after the release date to get all the first party games in.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
KingVamp said:
Scan it and I call bias. They are lot if good games idk what you are talking about.

more.

Yeah, if you like RPG's then sure, there are plenty of good games, but if you don't, and shovelware doesn't do it for you, then not so much.

Fine sure... What wrong with RPG's anyway?

prowler_ said:
QUOTE(KingVamp @ Jul 26 2011, 07:47 PM)

Not 3DS owners waiting for what it looks like it might be a year after the release date to get all the first party games in.
You rather have them rush?

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ace Faith said:
I would say you're correct on the Mobile Casual market part, but remember that most small kids don't have cells that are Android or Apple: they have Nintendo's. Hence, why the shit-barrage of games is shifted to Nintendo.

What's Nintendo supposed to do about this? Go tell kids to get cells? LOL.
Reallly? Here the ten year kids have better cellphones than me, like 100 times better. I agree with Rayder.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
KingVamp said:
prowler_ said:
KingVamp said:

You rather have them rush?
Didn't say they should rush games.
Would of been much better if they timed the release of the 3DS right, it's like they rushed the 3DS release instead.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing i demand now , is a cod game with motion control and online , with voice during gameplay....this system can take it and so can i...all they need to do is lay out the games and the gamers will come.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing i have to add to that is Nintendo has great games they refuse to localize while trowing shovelware at us. It's almost like they have contempt for western markets. They would do well to learn from history. Atari licensed so much sovelware for the 2600 that it killed the platform and ultimately started them on a long downward slide. As for myself. I'm not buying a 3DS any time soon.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main problem right now is that the 3DS is having a bad first year. This is almost never a good thing for initial sales, but people will begin to get more interested in the 3DS after mid 2012. At that point, 3DS sales should rise significantly compared to what they are now and Nintendo won't have to worry.

And the 3DS itself doesn't have any shovelware yet; Let's hope it stays that way.

Nintendo is having a bad 2011. They'll have a great 2012.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
the only thing i demand now , is a cod game with motion control and online , with voice during gameplay....this system can take it and so can i...all they need to do is lay out the games and the gamers will come.
All that likely except voice chat.

Voice chat can be put in every wifi play. As in Street Fighter and DOAD could have had it.

Voice chat should be imbedded(?) in the OS.

idk I just doubt if one made to have voice chat.

Not saying I want it, just typing.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Demonstryde said:
All that likely except voice chat.

Voice chat can be put in every wifi play. As in Street Fighter and DOAD could have had it.

Voice chat should be imbedded(?) in the OS.

idk I just doubt if one made to have voice chat.

Not saying I want it, just typing.
POKEMON had voice chat over wifi why cant a 3ds have it? its os is better/more powerful than wii, and wii black ops has voice during gameplay....i expect nothing less

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
The main problem right now is that the 3DS is having a bad first year. This is almost never a good thing for initial sales, but people will begin to get more interested in the 3DS after mid 2012. At that point, 3DS sales should rise significantly compared to what they are now and Nintendo won't have to worry.

And the 3DS itself doesn't have any shovelware yet; Let's hope it stays that way.

170306b.jpg
170401b.jpg

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's up to the developer eh? All we have to do it wait for the right developer to come along save the 3DS from this perpetual flow of shovelware. someone that might inspire other developers to step their game up(at least a little).

The thing is that such a developer may never come. The only things that come close to good are the games that Nintendo is rehashing. Other than that, there aren't many original games out that look promising in terms of overall quality.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Shovelware tends to be quick buck, poorly made kid games as a whole. Those kiddy generic search the scenery games, Imagine games, Petz games, and more are all prime offenders and make their homes with Nintendo.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Slyakin said:

170306b.jpg
170401b.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: I noticed your new profile pic