Gaming Some n00b questions...

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have recently been thinking about modding my console, but would first like to know:

1. I DO have to have a mod chip right? Or can I just soft mod it like my Wii, PS2, and PSP?

2. If I do need a mod chip, which is the best to get?

3. Do you have to burn games, or can you load them off of a hard drive?

4. If you do have to burn, do all games require Dual Layer discs?

5. If I play a burnt or HDD game while signed in to LIVE, but NOT for online multiplayer, can I still get banned?

6. If I play a burnt or HDD game while signed out of LIVE, but sign on later with a legit game, can I get banned?

7. Last one. Are all games compatible with being burnt or loaded from an HDD?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) It is a halfway house- you do a hardmod of the DVD drive. This is unless you are lucky enough to have a JTAG capable box (not updated past the August the 11th 2009 update and made before mid June 2009*) in which case you will be soldering stuff in.
http://www.jungleflasher.net/downloads.html has a good guide to the drive modding side of things.

*cut off dates are not set in stone so go with an earlier one if you want to go down this path and have the option.

2) See 1

3) If you have a JTAG box you can run them from the drive but otherwise it is discs only. Note this does not stop you using the NXE install to dash function and only having the disc in to pass the "check".

4) If you have a JTAG box then you can fiddle around with things and run stuff from a single layer disc but if you are modding the drive then yes you need to use dual layer discs. The people behind the WODE have recently threatened a 360 equivalent at some point but at this time there is nothing like that on the 360 and there is nothing resembling a timeframe for the WODE like device.

5) and 6) Banning arises from several causes which are still hotly debated to this day but as best we can tell including bad rips, bad drive firmware and a few other things- no sure fire way to prevent a ban but done properly (and assuming no faults in the hacked DVD firmware) then you should be good. As far as you are concerned offline/online does not matter and if you have a JTAG box do your very best to keep it from speaking to microsoft's servers.

7) There is no AP if that is what you are asking- you download an iso, check it (fix it if necessary- most of the older rips will need a minor tweak or two to bring them in line with the modern hacked firmwares) and burn it (then check the burn).

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much. I found your reply VERY helpful. However, I have come to find that my computer's SATA is incompatible for mid-modding. I don't feel like buying any converters, external flashers, or whatever else may be available right now. Looks like I won't be modding my Xbox 360 anytime soon. Thanks for the loads of helpful info anyways.
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...