Gaming Someone convince me. Is Wii good?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mightymage said:
wii playinmg fps with wiimote>>>>>playing fps with dualshock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playing fps with keyboard+mouse

Fixed
ph34r.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
mightymage said:
wii playinmg fps with wiimote>>>>>playing fps with dualshock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playing fps with keyboard+mouse

Fixed
ph34r.gif
I have to agree there though only when its implemented well.

FPS on a controller is horrid if its not Doom. You need a good pointing system, not a analog stick.

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and no.
From a graphical point of view compared to PS3 and XBox 360.. its under level.
From a point of say gameplay then its about the same.
But the biggest thing about the wii to really reach its full potential is softmod. Softmod allows for personal modification and homebrew. Put it this way... homebrew does what nintendo didnt

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The Wii has more "buttons" than any other console. Yeah, I said it. Just count with me:
On Remote
1) A
2) B
3) +
4) -
5) 1
6) 2
On Nunckuck
7) Z
8) C

If you take in consideration the cross pad, it's 4 more buttons, making it 12 so far
Then you have the motion controls, that even if You do not admit, they are more "buttons".
13) Forward motion
14) Backward motion
15) Left Motion
16) Right Motion
17) Up Motion
18) Down Motion

Then, you have the motion controls on the nunchuck, that adds up more 6 "buttons", making a total of 24 different "buttons".
You may think I'm nuts by saying this, but there are a lot of games that use each one of these "buttons" (Force Unleashed, Soul Calibur Legends, Tomb Raider, to name a few).

But I agree with elixirdream: defining wheather it's good or not it's a matter of personal preference. I like it.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Satangel said:
mightymage said:
playing fps with keyboard+mouse>wii playinmg fps with wiimote>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playing fps with dualshock

Fixed
ph34r.gif

NOW it's fixed
ph34r.gif

I played FPS games on the PC all my life and never got used to them on consoles.. analog sticks don't have the same speed and precision that a mouse has.

Now, with the Wiimote, it felt awkward at first but in less then 10 minutes I was playing it as naturally as I play any FPS on the PC.

I don't think it's as good as keyboard+mouse, the mouse fells more comfortable, since your hand is rested in the table while with the Wiimote your hand is in the air..

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@toguro_max

If you are counting motion sensing capabilities, the DualShock3 has more buttons:
1-4)D-pad; Up, Down, Left, Right
5-8)Left analog; Up, Down, Left, Right
9-12)Right analog; Up, Down, Left, Right
13-16) X, Square, O, Triangle
17-20) R1, R2, L1, L2
21-26) Motion

2 more than the Wiimote + nunchuck.

Satan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The thing i love about the wii, it can be a good way to make some sport, or being a lazy bastard (like me).

The wiimote has a power on button, i don't have to stand to get my wii turned on. Then, with mPlayer, i just browse through my external hard drive plugged to the wii, i select one movie, and finally enjoy the show.

Calories burned for that? Near from zero
biggrin.gif
I love that, so convenient ^^

It's the same for 8bit emulation. I start FceuGX, just choose one good 8bit game (like megaman 2

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satan2k said:
The thing i love about the wii, it can be a good way to make some sport, or being a lazy bastard (like me).

The wiimote has a power on button, i don't have to stand to get my wii turned on. Then, with mPlayer, i just browse through my external hard drive plugged to the wii, i select one movie, and finally enjoy the show.

Calories burned for that? Near from zero
biggrin.gif
I love that, so convenient ^^

It's the same for 8bit emulation. I start FceuGX, just choose one good 8bit game (like megaman 2

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Thoob said:
@toguro_max

If you are counting motion sensing capabilities, the DualShock3 has more buttons:
1-4)D-pad; Up, Down, Left, Right
5-8)Left analog; Up, Down, Left, Right
9-12)Right analog; Up, Down, Left, Right
13-16) X, Square, O, Triangle
17-20) R1, R2, L1, L2
21-26) Motion

2 more than the Wiimote + nunchuck.
Well, in fact, you are counting one of the analogs as 4 buttons, wich I didn't, since one of the analogs is used for controlling the char. But I think you're kinda right, but you forgot to mention R3 and L3
happy.gif

This way, both Wii and PS3 have 28 buttons (O_O).
Suddenly, I'm missing the Atari 2600 days...

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
with the wii softmodded and so many tallented people who make these apps for the wii, and I am just waiting for 1n app to cook my dinner and wipe my arse, when its softmodded it can do 100 times more things

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess if you have to name the hack used for softmodding, you'd call it Bannerbomb these days. Most people use that to install the "Homebrew Channel" which is a channel that you can load from the system menu. It's got a pretty nice interface for loading homebrew off of your SD card or USB hard drive.

I think the reason I love Wii homebrew the most is all the added function (playing videos and such) and loading games from USB hard drive. I don't pirate games, but it's just really a convenience to have my entire game collection copied onto a single USB drive and available at all times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hey guyz