• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Someone pls explain why Democrats don't want ICE contacted if illegal aliens attempt to buy guns

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you pay attention to what the people in these neighborhoods are saying, and not how news depicts them, they are begging cops to come in and help them.
There is no "one size fits all" here, some neighborhoods would prefer more police presence, while others would prefer less.

But cops are afraid of coming in because they don’t want to be branded racist and make national news.
How is that an excuse for not doing your job? "Hey, I decided not to come in to work today, don't wanna 'accidentally' be branded a racist. So when's my bonus due?" If there are cops out there like that, they need to be replaced. And god forbid low-income neighborhoods start making more diverse hires for the police force, right? They might actually know how to interact with the community they come from.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There is no "one size fits all" here, some neighborhoods would prefer more police presence, while others would prefer less.

How is that an excuse for not doing your job? "Hey, I decided not to come in to work today, don't wanna 'accidentally' be branded a racist. So when's my bonus due?" If there are cops out there like that, they need to be replaced. And god forbid low-income neighborhoods start making more diverse hires for the police force, right? They might actually know how to interact with the community they come from.
How about having your life ruined if your branded a racist. Getting fired, having criminal charges put out against you for something you didn’t do.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How about having your life ruined if your branded a racist. Getting fired, having criminal charges put out against you for something you didn’t do.
I'm not sure what reality you're living in, but in this one, cops can get away with anything up to and including murder. They're also free to be racist to their heart's content when they're around other cops. Is it really that hard to not make an ass of yourself in public, though? Police aren't the only ones who have to act with common decency, so let's not pretend we're lumping a whole lot of unreasonable responsibility on them.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I'm not sure what reality you're living in, but in this one, cops can get away with anything up to and including murder. They're also free to be racist to their heart's content when they're around other cops. Is it really that hard to not make an ass of yourself in public, though? Police aren't the only ones who have to act with common decency, so let's not pretend we're lumping a whole lot of unreasonable responsibility on them.
They can’t just murder anyone or be racist all you want, you’ll be all over the news. This doesn’t happen. This isn’t a 3rd world country.

Police are having a hard time doing their job because everything they do, even if it’s useful like Broken Windows policing, is criticized and called racist. They can’t do their job right and reduce crime. Which is why crime rates have sky rocketed after Feurgeson.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They can’t just murder anyone or be racist all you want, you’ll be all over the news. This doesn’t happen. This isn’t a 3rd world country.
There are literally cases all the time where a cop gets off with just some vacation time after shooting an unarmed civilian. Cops protect each other, and judges tend to protect them too.

On the racism front, again there's no way to know what is said behind closed doors. You're lying to yourself if you think there aren't casual racists that have been cops for years.

Police are having a hard time doing their job because everything they do, even if it’s useful like Broken Windows policing, is criticized and called racist. They can’t do their job right and reduce crime. Which is why crime rates have sky rocketed after Feurgeson.
Gimme a break. They're cops, not pre-teens. If a person is so awkward and insecure that they can't filter out racism between their thoughts and their mouth, then they have no business becoming a cop in the first place.

We probably shouldn't get into the subject of the crime rate going up, you wouldn't like what I have to say on the topic.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Immigrant" is not a unified, institutionalized group getting paid to do a specific job. I'm not going to entertain this fallacy that words can mean whatever we want them to. Being wary of police doesn't make you racist or xenophobic, especially when you've had experiences that made you wary in the first place.

The police are the ones who ruined their own reputation in these neighborhoods. So if they want to fix it, they have to be the ones to actively repair their reputation bit by bit. They can't just say, "don't worry we won't shoot you when you call us from now on," and have that be the end of it. Actions speak louder than words.
It's literally stereotyping an entire group of people based solely on their occupation. You can call it fallacious all you want, that doesn't make it so. The police is not a charity, the police is a law enforcement organisation under the auspices of the government - they don't have to do PR work, they have an effective monopoly on law enforcement. Any PR work they do invest time into is just more evidence of good will - they don't have to do that, they just want people to help them catch criminals. "These neighbourhoods" can just deal with their inhibitions because there is no alternative or they can get used to more intensive patrolling.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There are literally cases all the time where a cop gets off with just some vacation time after shooting an unarmed civilian. Cops protect each other, and judges tend to protect them too.

On the racism front, again there's no way to know what is said behind closed doors. You're lying to yourself if you think there aren't casual racists that have been cops for years.
The entire Police Force? So essentially you are making an assumption without any proof, that because they are behind closed doors without anyone watching they must be cooking up something bad. This is how your logic goes.

You can’t let a few cases where cops do lie in court be representative of what the police force actually is.

Gimme a break. They're cops, not pre-teens. If a person is so awkward and insecure that they can't filter out between their thoughts and their mouth, then they have no business becoming a cop in the first place.

We probably shouldn't get into the subject of the crime rate going up, you wouldn't like what I have to say on the topic.

This isn’t a situation about being a pre teen. This is literally dozens of cameras on cops, where even if they conduct a procedure correctly, can be misconstrued by media to make it out like they were doing a racist act when they weren’t.

And another problem is people are not interpreting statistics correctly. Unarmed does not mean not dangerous. Someone that is unarmed can still be a violent threat. Cops have died by there own guns because the criminals reached for it.

You can be considered unarmed but be bashing the cops head breaking their nose with a police radio. Or considered unarmed and bite a cops finger off. These are real cases that happened. This a problem I have with media coverage because they don’t let you know this bit.

Heather Mac Donald has a book called War on Police, which you won’t read. But I’m putting it out as my source. It goes into detail about statistics and how it doesn’t fit the narrative that cops are targeting groups unjustly.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: