Sonic Mania Plus lands on mobile in 2024 via Netflix (but you could get it sooner)

Superstars? More like super disappointing

The excellent Sonic Mania and its Plus expansion is coming to mobile officially, courtesy of Netflix in 2024.

Included in the base Netflix subscription, Netflix Games offers subscribers a catalogue of hand picked mobile games at no extra charge. Their library of games consists of over 85 titles including most recently the less than stellar Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Sonic Mania Plus will join the service sometime in 2024 which will be the first time the title has seen an official mobile release.

However, if you can't wait that long, there is another way to get Sonic Mania Plus on your Android device today. Thanks to the excellent work of the team behind the Sonic Mania decompilation project, it is possible to build your own Sonic Mania Plus APK for Android devices right now. Providing you own a legitimate copy of the game and can provide the necessary required files; by following a basic set of instructions you can build your own Android compatible version of the game with full touch screen input and support for various screen widths and resolutions.

We reviewed Sonic Mania back in 2018 and gave it a 9/10 - you can read the full review here.

:arrow: Purchase Sonic Mania Plus
:arrow: Source

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one boss fight took about all my lives... then after that stage i RQ sonic mania due to the next stage being the worst in stage in any sonic game ever.

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bet they're using the decomp version :lol:
I doubt it. Given that they will still have access to the original source code, and they already have a way to export games made in the engine to mobile that preceded any of the retro engine decompilation projects (the Sonic 1, 2 and CD mobile ports) the decomp would be very little use to them.

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general Sonic Mania Plus decomp question: is there like...a script that can compile the game for you? No one is willing to provide a Mania-enabled binary but at the very least I would hope there's a way to automatically perform the steps to compile the source code with the Plus content enabled.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a general Sonic Mania Plus decomp question: is there like...a script that can compile the game for you? No one is willing to provide a Mania-enabled binary but at the very least I would hope there's a way to automatically perform the steps to compile the source code with the Plus content enabled.
The basic instructions linked in this news article is only 10 steps and literally uses script to automate everything else of it for you.

• Love
Reactions: shaunj66

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Netflix. I’m already at the maximum number of devices. I won’t be able to use this. (I’m sick of big companies red tape) But I got it when it went free on steam, or was it epic.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it. Given that they will still have access to the original source code, and they already have a way to export games made in the engine to mobile that preceded any of the retro engine decompilation projects (the Sonic 1, 2 and CD mobile ports) the decomp would be very little use to them.
Prove it :rofl2:

You not have sarcasm where you are? :ha::lol:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it was a good Sonic game, which is something extremely rare. I understand why SEGA can't let go.
Sega can't even let the sega genesis go. It's like their magnum opus. They made a second Mega drive mini for more games. When next console generation drops, you can be sure sega will be ready to make a collection of games that play on them if those consoles aren't backward compatible. :rofl2:

On a side know. This is the first I heard of news about netflix games. I just looked and found out that they have That TMNT Shredder's revenge on it. This is turning into GAME PASS situation... except for mobile. Even worst, these games exist on switch but netflix don't. *Cough Cough* :ninja:

Another side note, I should find someone smart enough to help me build this decompiled version. I used the prebuilt apk but I don't think that one I found on github release page is updated often.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible