Sony acquires mobile game developer Savage Game Studios

PS Savage GS.JPG

In yet another bout of acquisition, mobile game developer Savage Game Studios is joining the ranks of PlayStation Studios. More specifically, it will join the newly created PlayStation Studios Mobile Division which will focus on Sony's mobile gaming efforts.

The acquisition announcement comes via a PlayStation blog post by Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios. In it, Hulst had the following to add regarding Sony's mobile gaming plans: "Savage Game Studios is joining a newly created PlayStation Studios Mobile Division, which will operate independently from our console development and focus on innovative, on-the-go experiences based on new and existing PlayStation IP."

:arrow: SOURCE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do I assume the lack of games on their website, mobygames, android store and ios search options (such as they are outside of the devices) means they are more of a tech company/engine company/pile of devs to hire out than a game studio of any particular note?

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Do I assume the lack of games on their website, mobygames, android store and ios search options (such as they are outside of the devices) means they are more of a tech company/engine company/pile of devs to hire out than a game studio of any particular note?
I did a bit of reading and from what I've gathered, they appear to be mostly a new studio established back in 2020 by people who have worked with Rovio and Zynga, among other studios/companies. It appears they have yet to actually release something but they are apparently already working on a live-service game for mobile.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mobile gaming market...... the market sony ignored its very own console, the vita, which had great potential to be better than it was.

Still think it looks amazing and could have had so many console quality titles for it, but Sony couldn't be arsed to support it so why would third parties support it.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Mobile gaming market...... the market sony ignored its very own console, the vita, which had great potential to be better than it was.

Still think it looks amazing and could have had so many console quality titles for it, but Sony couldn't be arsed to support it so why would third parties support it.
They ignored it so much that they even released a mobile phone that was also a console (xperia play) :rolleyes:

It's hard to justify to develop a game for handhelds when you can just make freemium crap to make millions. Hell, you can even shut the servers down mere months after release and people won't remember a thing and still buy the stuff you make. At least Sony tried.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They ignored it so much that they even released a mobile phone that was also a console (xperia play) :rolleyes:

It's hard to justify to develop a game for handhelds when you can just make freemium crap to make millions. Hell, you can even shut the servers down mere months after release and people won't remember a thing and still buy the stuff you make. At least Sony tried.
Or even better Dragon Quest Stars which was released in february globally. Advertise it as a very successful hit, make Live streams and especially make Discounts on Holiday seasons in your extremely expansive inapp crap.

Then make a 1-year Event with even more Sales and actually ingame content to shut it down completely 2 weeks Afterwards.

Square Enix I never forgive you! That was such a disaster. The Japan Version was still maintained but they didnt even offer a save Transfer.

Reactions: City

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Unless they are REALLY I terested in the talent of that team, this acquisition is weird. Unless they are hoping to pull a Nintendo-esque thing and adapt some IPs to mobile, like Nintendo did with Mario Kart, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Mario Run Like a Son of a Bitch.

Reactions: felix.200

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you see Sony with Vita, you can say Nintendo themselves saw that more and more handhelds gain more power and will be difficult to have 2 branchs.
The better way to solve this, was join handhelds and consoles in a hibrid system like the switch and that is it.

I was one that see no desire to get a psp or vita having the ps2/ps3 at home, but aways have nintendo handheld becouse of the diferent titles and ways to play.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sony is making so many stupid decisions, goddamn. They should've never moved their headquarters to California, that pretty much doomed them
Honestly, their decision making skills do match up with average design making skills of a company or person from California.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Now I'm worried if Nintendo ever decides to start buying companies.
I believe Nintendo decides on a project and gives it to a developer that then basically becomes part of Nintendo, kind of like Hal Laboratory, Intelligent Systems or Sora.

I have no idea how those developers become so attached to Nintendo during their existence, but somehow they do.

These out-of-the-blue acquisitions from Microsoft and Sony are different, as they are majorly after tech or IPs.

This is an odd case, as these guys are just an amalgamation of former employees of mobile juggernauts or the development house went around and selling itself to the highest bidder because they had no funding?

Might be an expensive endeavor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Welcome
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    What are your favorite topics?
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: What are your favorite topics?