Sony shuts down first-party studio PixelOpus

pixel opus.jpg

PixelOpus, the developers behind 2019's Concrete Genie and a small Sony-owned studio, is shutting down. The developers made the announcement via a tweet earlier this week:

"PlayStation Studios regularly evaluates its portfolio and the status of studio projects to ensure they meet the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives," Sony told IGN in a statement. "As part of a recent review process, it has been decided that PixelOpus will close on June 2."

Prior to its closure, PixelOpus was collaborating with Sony Pictures Animation for a PS5 game built on Unreal Engine 5. The status of that game and whether the developers will be reassigned to work on other projects at other studios was not made clear.

:arrow: SOURCE

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why the fuck are y'all happy that a small studio shut down??? If you don't care, you don't have to post anything, it's not hard.
Anyway, sad that this happened. I hope the employees get assigned to other studios.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why the fuck are y'all happy that a small studio shut down??? If you don't care, you don't have to post anything, it's not hard.
Anyway, sad that this happened. I hope the employees get assigned to other studios.
Ever heard of something called an "opinion"?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Got Concrete Genie "free" from PS+, honestly wasn't bad. Not insanely amazing or anything either, but enjoyable at least. Sad, would've liked to see them have a go at another offbeat Sony IP, maybe similar to Katamari or Parappa/Guitaroo Man.

Reactions: Stealphie

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, not too big of a deal, sorry.

I was upset when Sony closed down the studio that developed MotorStorm and DriveClub. Will we ever see a remaster of MotorStorm's trilogy (especially Apocalypse which was the best)? Probably not. DriveClub is playable on PS5, I think, so that's something at least.

Would love a remastered trilogy with online play. Although Apocalypse was the worst. ;)

Ever heard of something called an "opinion"?

Have you? Because it seems the one of the person you quoted really bothered ya.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would love a remastered trilogy with online play. Although Apocalypse was the worst. ;)
Whaat? How was it the worst for you?

MotorStorm RC was the "worst" for me, but to be fair, I just don't like that type of game.

Could have been due to the camera as I really enjoy WRC Powerslide:

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you? Because it seems the one of the person you quoted really bothered ya.
Mmh? It's not that it bothers me, it's just that he said "if you don't share MY opinion, don't share yours"

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whaat? How was it the worst for you?

MotorStorm RC was the "worst" for me, but to be fair, I just don't like that type of game.

The theme was cool and all, but for me the racing itself just wasn't as good as the first two. If I recall correctly something about it felt unfinished to me. I'd have to play it again. Pacific Rift was always my favorite. I wasn't counting RC in my list.

Mmh? It's not that it bothers me, it's just that he said "if you don't share MY opinion, don't share yours"

You just made up an imaginary quote that was never said.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Guacaholey

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The theme was cool and all, but for me the racing itself just wasn't as good as the first two for me. If I recall correctly something about it felt unfinished to me. I'd have to play it again. Pacific Rift was always my favorite. I wasn't counting RC in my list.

You just made up an imaginary quote that was never said.
Paraphrasing≠making something up. She literally said "If you don't care, you don't have to post anything, it's not hard." while complaining about people being "happy" a studio closed down. If being indifferent means you're happy depressed people must be Santa Claus.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I don’t see the point in revelling in a group of earnest devs getting their studio shut down by a much bigger entity that doesn’t care. Hope they can scatter out and find new work ASAP.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I don’t see the point in revelling in a group of earnest devs getting their studio shut down by a much bigger entity that doesn’t care. Hope they can scatter out and find new work ASAP.
There's a difference between "Nothing of value was lost" or "So what?" and "Oh my god I'm so happy they closed down". Nobody is revelling in a studio being shut down, they just don't care because said studio didn't do much.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's a difference between "Nothing of value was lost" or "So what?" and "Oh my god I'm so happy they closed down". Nobody is revelling in a studio being shut down, they just don't care because said studio didn't do much.
People enjoying themselves over it are revelling as per the definition of the word but who cares for that kind of argument. Either way I just hope the devs can find more work, like I said. If you’re happy with your response then don’t feel the need to waste time justifying to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paraphrasing≠making something up. She literally said "If you don't care, you don't have to post anything, it's not hard." while complaining about people being "happy" a studio closed down. If being indifferent means you're happy depressed people must be Santa Claus.

Their post was still an opinion every bit as much as yours was. You're being a hypocrite by going on and on about someone else's opinions after literally saying "Ever heard of something called an "opinion"?"

You also said "It's not that it bothers me, it's just that he said "if you don't share MY opinion, don't share yours". So let me get this straight. It didn't bother you, but it bothered you. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Maximumbeans

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Their post was still an opinion every bit as much as yours was. You're being a hypocrite by going on and on about someone else's opinions after literally saying "Ever heard of something called an "opinion"?"

You also said "It's not that it bothers me, it's just that he said "if you don't share MY opinion, don't share yours". So let me get this straight. It didn't bother you, but it bothered you. lol
I love GBA Temp. For every bright dev, there’s somebody who behaves like they haven’t spoken face-to-face with another human being for longer than three seconds.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Work on your literacy skills there champ. I never said any such thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shy: uh, went out the door, owner saw me. FORGOT MY CLOTHES :tpi::rofl2::blush: +1