Sony to end support for the PlayStation Store on PS3, PSP, Vita

37DF3A8F-6F9A-489A-BE4E-64CA67E8604F.jpeg

After rumors began brewing that Sony might finally put an end to PlayStation Store access on some of its older systems, the company has finally confirmed what some fans feared. Starting later this year, support for the PlayStation Store on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation Portable will be ending. As of today, they’ve also shut down the old web store that allowed customers to purchase games for those platforms on their computer. This decision comes as a result of Sony wanting to unify and focus on their more modern and current systems: the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The PSP and PS3’s store access will be the first to go, on July 2, 2021, with the Vita to follow shortly after on August 27th. Players will still be able to download their already purchased games even after those dates, but once July and August rolls around, any digital games for those platforms will become unavailable to buy.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't worry, guys. this won't affect pkgi or pkgj on any system nor will it affect download from the god links. they'll still be active as all of them use the same links as official psn. and, the licenses on the ps3 are downloaded elsewhere. you just need content id and a 16 byte key in hex for that, which you can write out, so they'll never be gone even if dmca'd. and, of course, they wouldn't dmca their own network for the content links anyway.

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And then companies wonder why so many people resort to piracy
Exactly. It doesn't matter because lot of those type of human scums will always refuse to realise it's THEMSELF screwing it up. Games riddled with DRM bullshit, Denuvo, Securom, requiring always-online connection despites it's a singleplayer game and so on.

Reactions: Deleted User

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
my PS3 fat is overheating and the only other ps3 I have is a super slim so no piracy for me :\ guess it's the extra reason I needed to buy more used ps3 titles.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Further proof that giving these console manufacturers a legally protected monopoly (see DMCA jailbreaking rules regarding game consoles) does nothing but serve the interests of the manufacturer at the customer's expense.

Clearly the decision to shut these services down was for cost cutting, so there was some cost-benefit analysis there. I wonder how that analysis would look if there was a competing store selling software on those consoles.

Raven_Raving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I just heard about this, it's really sad for all the playstation players but I never really fucked around with playstation I was always more of a PC kind of gal.

Why did they do this tho? Are they losing money from COVID-19 and having to cut costs? Maybe to drive up sales?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Raven_Raving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Further proof that giving these console manufacturers a legally protected monopoly (see DMCA jailbreaking rules regarding game consoles) does nothing but serve the interests of the manufacturer at the customer's expense.

Clearly the decision to shut these services down was for cost cutting, so there was some cost-benefit analysis there. I wonder how that analysis would look if there was a competing store selling software on those consoles.
Right?! I always hated all of this stupid monopoly stuff on video games, games are supposed to be for everyone from every economic background.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/