Sony working on PS2 backwards compatibility for PS4

With the release of the PS4 Star Wars: Battlefront bundle came an interesting discovery. Some of the bonus games in the bundle (Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter) aren't just remasters, nor just direct ports. It seems that they're run via an emulator on the PS4, allowing PS2 games to run at a higher framerate and resolution compared to their original releases. An article from Wired reports that Sony is confirmed to be, "working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation."

:arrow: Source

samedifference

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only setting myself up for disappointment in hoping that Sony will add it as a system feature with disc support. Of course, with Sony being the shitlords they are, they'll probably just shell out more PS2 classics. If they do add it as a system feature though, I hope they don't forget about PS1, as well.

Atlas_Noire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This feature would actually tempt me to buy a PS4, probably next year. If my schedule allows it. If they could add disc support as well as PS1 compatibility, the better.

Atlas_Noire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great news but kinda confused for the moment ever since digital foundry said the PS2 emulation has increase resolution? Do you think this would also apply if Sony were to support the disc format?
Increase resolution for disc format games? Now that I look back into it, probably not. In digital it is possible. But that's just my assumption. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Call me Old School, but i rather pick my game, put it on my PS2, press on, and play right away, instead of downloading an emulator, configure the Memory Cards, configure the controllers, the bios, the graphics, is just so annoying, and connecting a PC to a TV is also a pain in the ass, since you would have to be sure the cable is well connected, it doesn't "disconnect" suddenly because of "x" or "y", and then having to again use the emulator to load the shit you need, like, it's so much work for something as insignificant like filters, graphics or the fricking TV.

When i want to play my goddamn game right away, i play my goddamn game without doing that shit.
Normally I'd agree, but if you've got the rig for it, you really should fire up PCSX2 and run Dragon Quest VIII in 1080p with all the bells and whistles on - it's frankly AMAZING looking!! I've built a small form factor PC box with an i5 and a GTX 750Ti, hidden it away under my living room TV - fires up without a hitch, and can indeed run DQ8 like that. Couple it with a bluetooth adaptor and a white DS4, and bingo!

Back on topic: great news for PS4 owners! I've seen the Eurogamer article comparing the Star Wars games on the PS4 and PS2 and the added resolution looks great! Not sure the effect will work as well if they do the same to PS1 games though! :lol:
As for using your disc collection, well you MAY end up thanking Microsoft for this one Sony fans! 360 BC running from your discs on the Xbox One - if this wasn't a feature I'd GUARANTEE PS2 discs wouldn't work, but since it is (and has been extremely well received)... PS4 still can't read CDs, but I reckon a firmware update could sort that out (and most of the PS2 games anyone wants to play were usually DVD anyway). So yeah, normally I'd say no chance for your disc collection, but with the 360BC supporting it, fingers crossed! (I've got a few PS2 games that PCSX2 doesn't like, so would happily use my PS4 for those!)

Increase resolution for disc format games? Now that I look back into it, probably not. In digital it is possible. But that's just my assumption. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
More difficult perhaps, but not impossible. I didn't fully read through the Digital Foundry article as, y'know, fukkin anally retentive aren't they :lol:, but I'm assuming it's just a case of resolution change and added filters. The difficulty would come there from the filters potentially breaking visuals up, something Sony might be keen to avoid (and couldn't really control if discs, and therefore every game, was available)
Surely the option to keep the original screen settings will be available though... But yeah, being an emulator in the first place might mean Sony wanting to keep compatibility at maximum, which again might rule out discs....

Last edited by mightymuffy,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One thing i dont understand, why the hell they didnt let us play ps2 discs on day one. I know about ps2 console sales, there are also ps2 discs that you can buy. I mean i can understand that you cannot play ps3 discs on ps4 because of the remastered games.
Lets see what happens... Probably nothing.

Last edited by RaMon90,

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
One thing i dont understand, why the hell they didnt let us play ps2 discs on day one. I know about ps2 console sales, there are also discs that you can buy. I mean i can understand that you cannot play ps3 discs on ps4 because of the remastered games.
Lets see what happens... Probably nothing.
It's hard to emulate a PS2 console from my understanding. When the PS2 emulator came out for PC it required beefy hardware and it probably still does (Not quite sure). I'm quite surprised on how it was possible to do it on the PS4 with the 1.6 CPU?

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Normally I'd agree, but if you've got the rig for it, you really should fire up PCSX2 and run Dragon Quest VIII in 1080p with all the bells and whistles on - it's frankly AMAZING looking!! I've built a small form factor PC box with an i5 and a GTX 750Ti, hidden it away under my living room TV - fires up without a hitch, and can indeed run DQ8 like that. Couple it with a bluetooth adaptor and a white DS4, and bingo!

It is amazing, can't deny that, emulation of the PS2 has come so far, that now we can play those games on HD!, it is indeed something good, the only catch i see is that some games tend to frame drop at times, have some glitches and other little mistakes, I think that PS2 emulation still has a long way to go to be perfect, but it's nice that people can enjoy videogames like that, kinda like new ways to do so!, it is mostly my emotional attachment to my consoles, and the fact that since i grew with them, it is why i have more fun playing on the real thing, like, looking at dat Sexy Looking Black PS2 makes my mouth watering, and i feel safer too, overall, both ways of playing are good indeed, is just that the respect i have for the PS2 is so big, that if i want someday to emulate it, I would love to do it on an emulator that runs at 100%, hopefully, but for the meantime, i can enjoy my games like i normally do ;)

Reactions: mightymuffy

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's hard to emulate a PS2 console from my understanding. When the PS2 emulator came out for PC it required beefy hardware and it probably still does (Not quite sure). I'm quite surprised on how it was possible to do it on the PS4 with the 1.6 CPU?
I dont remember if ps3 had the same hw like ps2 but if you remember that with the very first ps3 fat version you couldve played ps2 games. I think they can do that.

Last edited by RaMon90,

Social_Outlaw

Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a reason why only the old models of the PS3 only had BC.

The PSP emulator still need some high end hardware on android phones

Look up PCSX2 games and see what kind of hardware people use if its not hard.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont remember if ps3 had the same hw like ps2 but if you remember that with the very first ps3 fat version you couldve played ps2 games. I think they can do that.

The original PS3s did have original PS2 hardware in it. Meaning that it had hardware-based backwards compatibility. Of course though, Sony took it out in later models to save production costs (they were originally losing money on every PS3 that was sold).

Hopefully somebody can reverse-engineer their findings into code towards PCSX2, or a new emulator, since it's x86 architecture.

If someone were to do that, they would get into a ton of legal trouble; but it'd be cool to see nonetheless.

Last edited by master801,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a reason why the old models of the PS3 only had BC...

The PSP emulator still need some high end hardware on the android

Look up PCSX2 games and see what kind of hardware people use if its not hard...
Sorry accidentally quick posted (phone). Anyways yes, for pcsx2 it requires a powerful cpu and decent gpu because of different architetture.

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a reason why only the old models of the PS3 only had BC.

The PSP emulator still need some high end hardware on android phones

Look up PCSX2 games and see what kind of hardware people use if its not hard.
you do realize software emulation for PS2 on PS3 has been a thing for years right ?

Social_Outlaw

Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you do realize software emulation for PS2 on PS3 has been a thing for years right ?
Yeah? but why not support disc hardware wise? I have many games for PS2 and hoping I could play on PS4. I still have my Ratchet and clank lol. I prefer physical over digital for consoles but PC? Na lol

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any of this is happy news for me. I honestly dont really care how they do it. I have had a few games sitting around for years because I never really had a place to hook my PS2 up. And after selling my 360, I didnt have a place to play Burnout Revenge (RIP Burnout), but now. Now. Now I can finally catch up on some of those classics I never finished.

Reactions: Muffins

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is where piracy comes into play. If they won't let you play your legally owned discs, pirate them. Don't take this crap from them.

Reactions: lampdemon

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
if it can use disc, it might work by download the game from the PSN, when you put the ps2 game disc in the ps4, and using the disc to run/verify the game
so olny a few game might work and very very very slow get games added
or
you must BUY ps2 classic off the PSN for all game

The cynic in me says that you'll probably need to re-buy all your games.

The logical person in me who considers past trends in game companies says you'll f***ing DEFINITELY need to re-buy all your PS2 games.

This is where piracy comes into play. If they won't let you play your legally owned discs, pirate them. Don't take this crap from them.

I'm onboard. If I'm paying for your services, Sony, the least you could do is provide a better experience than the "unprofessional" freeware available on the internet years ago. Demand competition and standards, people, by pirating.

Last edited by Meteor7,
Reactions: Ruby Gloom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong