Hacking SP repaired. Now what? :P

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I successfully managed to repair the GBA SP's shoulder buttons. It's been a long time coming, but the repair job went successfully, and the new buttons are even clickier/tighter than they originally were.

That said, now I realize it's been a while since I'd done anything with it, and looking at the EZ-Flash IV I have on it.

Got a couple of questions then.
  1. I notice there's now an "EZ Client 2014" download on EZflash's official website. What build is that based on? Is it recommended to get that, or would it be better to stick with an older/third party build? One reason I ask is that most antivirus apps seem to detect/flash the EZ4 loader software as a virus/malware.
    1. By the way, is there a way to change the default theming that the EZ4 has? the Darth Vader look rather gets old after a while, and to be honest it can be hard to read under most circumstances.
  2. I also remember that supporting sleep mode for the games that had it was a real problem with the flashcart, but that there was a sleephack made to patch GBA roms to re-implement it for such a thing. Is that still on filetrip? Or is there a newer build I'm not aware of?
  3. IIRC, a fellow by the name of cracker on here made an app called GBAATM to be able to create ROMs with cheat codes implemented. I also remember having mixed results with the build the last time Iw as able to actively use the program. Has it been updated?
Forgive me if these questions do seem dumb. It's just been a while since I'd been able to enjoy the GBA SP again, and just really happy that my soldering job ended up being a complete success :)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm starting to realize why it's been a while since I used GBAATM... a lot of the games i care about wanting codes for it just flat out doesn't work.
There were a few really good codes that were made for Pokemon Emerald for the GBA SP and even after following the instructions to DEADBEEF and find the sections to patch, trying all these different settings, I can't get the codes to actually take. This is especially depressing because I had a lot of fun with Emerald on my real cart with the Gameshark SP (while it still worked), and its codes allowed me to nearly 100% the 'dex on a single cartridge, without involving any trading.

Then there was the issue with Superstar saga where the official Gameshark SP codes were available, but attempting to implement them into the rom caused a white-screen of death upon starting up the rom.

Curiously, Up+L+A+B doesn't seem to work at all on any of the ROMs I try, though the new shoulder buttons work fantastically in game. I wonder why is that?

And if I had known of a way to fix the DS lite's shoulder buttons, I might not have gone through about eight of those systems in the span of three years.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I always use the buttons some games had (START/SELECT+L+R) for sleep mode, and they always have worked for me (Golden sun, Zelda, Pokemon, Megaman, Etc)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I meant to soft-reset back to the loader. Isn't that what checking the Reset box on the EZ4Client supposed to enable you to do?

Sad thing is, as good as it was to fix the GBA SP, I regrettably and accidentally killed my PSP 2000 trying to repair the stupid UMD switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one