^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad spends so much money, and right now I'm thinking it's becoming a problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm not jealous or anything (actually I'm pretty content with what I have right now). Anyways, my dad has been going on a ton of trips lately (he's going to China tomorrow) while the rest of my family hasn't gone anywhere since spring 07. He's gone on at least 4 trips since August, and if I ask what he's doing at those places, he tries to stop me from talking about it and changes the subject
unsure.gif
He bought that $350 or so blackberry, then lost it (he didn't have insurance), so he then bought a f***ing $400 iPhone. Every 2 or 3 days, he gets a package in the mail, and he bought tons of new clothes and shoes as well.

Meanwhile, my mom has 1 or 2 pairs of shoes, she's wearing the same clothes that she wore 2 or 3 years ago, her phone is my uncle's old one, and she's the one who does most of the housework and stuff like that. It seems really unfair
frown.gif

How should I deal with this?
wink2.gif

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
talk to your mum to see what she thinks and to let her know your worried about your dad and money. also whats your dads job? is it high paying. maby also start saving up some of your own money incase you get into trouble in the future

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i did talk to my mom about it. She said, "yeah I know your dad spends so much" She also said she doesn't care that she doesn't ever really buy anything other than necessities, she prefers to save money. See that's what really makes it unfair, my mom does all this to save money and my dad just squanders it on luxuries. Oh yeah and I forgot to add my dad sold his old car for $5000 and bought a used lexus for $25000, and he says he plans to keep it for 2 years. That's $12500 a year, on a car. I guess I'm more like my mom, I always want to save money and find good deals, but I still do want some new stuff.

Oh and my dad doesn't really have a high paying job, he is a computer engineer at Nortel.

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok maby he has got a spending problem. (just keep naging him about it) and maby try with you mums help to take his money off him and give him a small amount of cash a day and if he wants more just tell him to save it up untill the next day

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I nag my dad about it (which I have), he gets mad at me and starts saying "hey it's my $$ I'll do what I want with it" :S

If I try to take money away from him, it'll be the same thing

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he's just a computer guy with average pay I wouldn't be so much as worried about his rampant spending, but where the hell he actually is getting all the cash to do so. With the Lexus bit alone there, not to mention those 6 trips I'd say he's probably up to something illegal, is some sugardaddy to some rich bitch, or whatever else as the dollars vs spending don't add up.

I'd almost say talk mom into it and hire a private dick to follow him around and see where the cash is coming in from. If he's doing sheisty crap, best for you and her to bail now and stay away from the kneecap shattering collections guys when the funds dry up.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd almost say talk mom into it and hire a private dick to follow him around and see where the cash is coming in from. If he's doing sheisty crap, best for you and her to bail now and stay away from the kneecap shattering collections guys when the funds dry up.
If it's as serious as wii_will_rule makes it out to be, this, although possibly sounding a little extreme, could be the best thing...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If I nag my dad about it (which I have), he gets mad at me and starts saying "hey it's my $$ I'll do what I want with it" :S

No offense, but he sounds like a real asshole, wasting all that money on himself instead of spending it on his family, once you hit 20 you should stop saying the whole "My money I'll do what I want" thing.

I agree with Vampire Hunter D, he could be doing something illegal.

Either that or gigantic mid life crisis.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh, don't you think that's a little too much? What's weird is this is the first year my dad has been like this, he couldn't even be called a spendthrift in 06. I may have exaggerated a bit on the trips, let's see: he went to Canada, now China, I remember California, and there was maybe 1 or 2 more. I'll change it to at least 4, sorry. And no kellyan, he doesn't have cancer
tongue.gif

Supposedly some of those trips were business trips, but I'm not 100% sure. He's never had business trips b4, and if he got promoted or something, he wouldn't bother trying to hide it.
unsure.gif

Also my dad said he was trying to start his own company before, along with his college friend in D.C. (That's the capital of the U.S. for those who don't know) Maybe that's the cause for the trips?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If he's just a computer guy with average pay I wouldn't be so much as worried about his rampant spending, but where the hell he actually is getting all the cash to do so. With the Lexus bit alone there, not to mention those 6 trips I'd say he's probably up to something illegal, is some sugardaddy to some rich bitch, or whatever else as the dollars vs spending don't add up.

I'd almost say talk mom into it and hire a private dick to follow him around and see where the cash is coming in from. If he's doing sheisty crap, best for you and her to bail now and stay away from the kneecap shattering collections guys when the funds dry up.

I'm going with this path.
It's probably the truth too.

Did you ever ask him about his trips?

~Nero

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, first off, as soon as you said you're not jealous I knew immediately you were jealous! There was no hint that you were so you must be!

But honestly that's a fine thing to be. It doesn't seem right he spends all of this on himself.

What does he do for work? Perhaps he can afford to live this lifestyle. If you're not going unfed I would say it's a jealousy thing.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm not really jealous. I couldn't care less about his iPhone, or his car cuz I'm too young to drive neways, and when he goes on trips they're usually when I'm in school. It would be nice to have gone on a trip in winter break, but we're just too busy.

BTW My dad's at work right now and my mom is home.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My mom used to go on trips to bermuda to visit her boyfriend/cheat on my dad. Leaving me and my sister home with my dad. The only time I went on any trip is when I took my own money and drove across the country. So I got jealous/mad over that. It's ok.

Try not to worry about it. Hopefully he's spending within his limits and if he isn't then have an intervention type deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1