Hardware [Spicy] RUMOR - Wii U to see $300 price

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
True as that is, you then got a stumbling block when going into that realistic/detailed phase. Development costs + time. I honestly think that is what is holding back progress
Eh, it will probably be solved the same way it is now, there will be a graphics engine, a physics engine, an AI engine and a few others, and devs will just buy the engine and make games around it. Like the Havok + Crytek we have now.

spicy shit :ha:
Lay off the Mexican food :unsure:

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I payed $280 CAD for my Wii at launch. I'm fine with this.

Yeah, the Wii was priced at $250 on launch in US. I bought it and all the numerous extra controllers. This new device will be painful on the wallet - $300 for unit and one controller, then another $50 for another controller (you got to have two), and who knows what other optional controllers will be needed and, of course, it won't be hacked on launch so need to buy 2-3 $59 games...

I'm starting to save the pennies now. :D

50$ per controller? Thats actually not even half as bad as I expected, Its alot but not as bad as I thought it would be. Now if Nintendo wants to be really nice and let them use a nice simple bluetooth encoding so I can use it as a PC controller also (cmon, touch screen as mouse and keyboard.)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Yeah, the Wii was priced at $250 on launch in US. I bought it and all the numerous extra controllers. This new device will be painful on the wallet - $300 for unit and one controller, then another $50 for another controller (you got to have two), and who knows what other optional controllers will be needed and, of course, it won't be hacked on launch so need to buy 2-3 $59 games...

50$ per controller? Thats actually not even half as bad as I expected, Its alot but not as bad as I thought it would be. Now if Nintendo wants to be really nice and let them use a nice simple bluetooth encoding so I can use it as a PC controller also (cmon, touch screen as mouse and keyboard.)
480p video streamed at 60fps over bluetooth in real time?

Ehhhh...

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

480p video streamed at 60fps over bluetooth in real time?

Ehhhh...

Nah, im not asking for the actual desktop, just being able to use it for input is good enough for me.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not actually convinced that Microsoft and Sony will have such super hardware in them VS what is supposedly in the Wii-U, honestly once you can do graphics at native 1080P there is not a whole ton more you can add.
Look at a game in 1080p, and look at a movie in 1080p. See the differences. That's what can be added.

Although it probably won't be added in this next generation (WiiU/PS4/X720). I'm just saying there's always room for improvement.

Room for improvement yes, but realistically until some break through happens we are nearing the end of what can be extracted from silicon at a reasonable cost.
Sony isn't going to be doing another "Five hundred and ninety nine dollars!" moment for its next system. Microsoft was never foolish enough to think that people would pay that much money for a game console. I don't think any of the next gen consoles will launch at a price over 300$ don't take that as gospel but just a gut feeling.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something to keep in mind as well... It's nice when developers have the hardware to make something "as good as" a hollywood movie... but one thing people seem to forget is that the more advanced the graphics engine is, the more games cost. That is a HUGE deal.

In all honesty, it's not that hardware is the danger of hitting a brick wall and not getting any better (there is still tons of room for computer technology to advance) but rather the HUMAN cost of making things photo realistic is going to get too high. A truly awesome, over the top, high end, big budget, realistic looking CGI movie may cost 100 million dollars or more to make and last about 2 hours. Now the average video game is likely to last at the very LEAST 5x longer than that (at least I can't imagine buying a game at $60+ and not getting at least 10 hours out of it). Think of how much money THAT would cost to make. What's worse, unlike movies were the camera is static and you only ever have to worry about a single perspective, meaning you have to have a ton more detail in everything because you never know when and where the player is going to be doing something.

We already live in a world where AAA top tier video games cost 10's of millions of dollars to make with games costing $60 or more new and people complaining about that and developers are trying to kill used game sales. They'll push harder for no used games when the cost of making the games starts to skyrocket, and you can bet the price of new games will go up with it.

Primenay13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would make me really happy, if it's true. Not a bad price at all.
I mean definitly competetive with current gen consoles even. I don't think microsoft or sony's next gen will be even close to this price. Nintendo would have this one concealed. Not to mention being the first one out. So excited!!! :D

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn